Sign in to follow this  
gooch

Installing new steering wheel

ok, i just installed my new momo race steering wheel in my ca18det silvia so i thought i'd write an article to explain how i did it as there is a few things you guys should know.

first of all, make sure you have the wheels pointing straight, sounds obvious but if you dont, the steering wheel will end up not straight (i found this out the hard way)

ok, after you've got the wheels nice and straight, remove the cover off of centre part of the wheel to reveal some screws. Undo all of these as you dont need any of them. Then you ened to undo the large nut in the middle of the wheel.

It is almost impossible to get the steering wheel off i found without taking the cover of the steering column, so do this by undoing the 4/5 screws that are underneat it and the unclick and seperate the 2 sides of the platic cover and put them out of the way.

Next, under the 4 screws (2 on each side) holding the indicators and headlight levers on and let them hang down. Next, there should be a white thing there behind the wheel with on screw on the back which tightens it around the steering column. Loosen this screw and then slide it back away from the steering wheel.

Next, remove the wheel (its a bithc to get off, trust me, just jiggle, pull or do what you have to do).

Put the white thing that you undid the screw on back to its original spot and tighten the screw up and put the inidicators/headlight levers back on aswell and screw them in.

Get the boss kit, place it on the steering column, making sure the where it says up, you put straight up, not slightly off or once again your steering wheel will not be straight (yes, happened to me, cause the stupid up sign isnt right in the centre so its hard to get it perfectly straight up), screw the nut on the that you took off before.

Next, get the metal plate and put your little horn thing in the middle of it, mine says momo, but the one that came with the boss kit says nissan, etc, you get what i mean. You then need to attach the 2 wires, 1 should be a black one which goes to the plug inside the main hub of the boss kit, the other, is a white one which just sits inside the hub loosely as a ground for the horn. You might need to bend the plugs on the back of the horn button out a bit to fit around the bolt as i needed to.

Next, line up the plate, steering wheel, and any other things that need to be screwed on and attach the screws.

Put the plastic cover around the steering column back on and voila, you have a new steering wheel!

Just for the record, i picked up my momo race wheel and boss kit for $450 at autobarn.

steering.jpg

nice work gooch now i would like to just add a few other hints and tips if thats ok.

you should be able to get the wheel off with out removing the covers just bash the back of the steering wheel like hell with your hand, change spots everynow and again and be careful not to knock yourself out cold when the wheel comes off.

next is not all the momo wheels have the same wiring for the horn as i replaced my race wheel with the trek and now i need to machine the center of the boss kit out so my steel plate for the horn will fit. this may not be a problem for some depending on the boss kit as "momo don't make a boss for the s13" this is what car toys told me.

and did you use your wheel brace to undo the big nut. and i like to straighten the wheels while the steering wheel is on loose as you may put it out one notch while undoing the big nut.

i just used a socket wrench thing, i dont have the wheel brace thing (or a jack for that matter, sigh)

i got an autotechnica boss kit as it was $40 extra for momo and they would of had to order one in

i found it 50 times easier to take off all that crap behind it so you can really get in there to get it off

i have a jack just no handle.

i don't know what brand boss kit mine is as i bought the race wheel and boss second hand for $150.

i remember hearing that you shouldnt bash the wheel to get it off because of damaging something further down the steering column. but incase you are wondering, yes i bashed it too, mainly just to make myself feel better though. steering wheel pullers are fairly common and easy to make so you shoudnt really have any reason to bash it.

Right on Booostin benni, i had to beat the fark out of mine to get it off !

I used an Issotta boss kit which cost me $45 brand new, (i knew the guy) and that fit straight on with my Momo Olympic 2000 wheel.

What you have to watch out for is that Only italian wheels fit Italian boss kits unless the boss has uni holes drilled in for different formations.

Same goes with dished wheels

later

Just a quick question...how do you remove the centre cover (where the horn is) off the stock steering wheel? Ive tried pullin on it but i've had no luck..

THanks

Just a quick question...how do you remove the centre cover (where the horn is) off the stock steering wheel? Ive tried pullin on it but i've had no luck..

THanks

The horn center cover actually clips right off. Use a flathead screwdriver to pry it up. On the 180sx / S13 steering wheels there is actually a screw right at the bottom of the middle spoke. Undo this screw a little and then it should make it easier to unclip the horn cover.

Also, here is a better way to remove the steering wheel besides "random" bashing, but it is very smiliar. I got mine off after 3 hits :)

Step 1. Make closed fits with your hands

Step 2. Hit the steering wheel as hard as you can, hit left side, right side, left side, right side in sucession.

Step 3. You will notice the steering wheel is loose, just pull it off :)

It is a BITCH to get boss kits off though so make sure you install it right the first time.

Also note on the 180sx / S13 there is no need to mess around with indicator levers etc. it shouldnt have anything to do with changing the steering wheel. Do Not follow Gooch's steps about removing the steering coloum cover, as it just makes more of a headache! There is no need to!

The metal ring on the bottom of the boss kit is what makes your horn work. Make sure 1 wire is always touching this metal piece. The other wire should be earthed to the boss kit itself. I used super glue to stick mine on. IF you leave it loose then there is good possibility the horn will sometimes not work!

I think thats it, the rest has been covered by the others

-Mark