ni*cK*

SAFC vs. ECU Remap

SAFC vs. ECU Remap  

54 members have voted

1. 1. SAFC vs. ECU Remap

• SAFC1 ~ $410ish
    • SAFC2 ~ $500ish
    • Remap ~ $600ish

I'm getting HEAPS of black (and grey) smoke.. and i just got a EPA letter saying someone reported me so if it happens again i'm geting a fine. So what should i do???

You can pick up an SAFC1 for around $300, mine only cost $250.

Somebody reported you? :o

What car/engine?

Mods are in my signiture... i think i'm getting HEAPS of smoke coz i got a different fuel pump, coz i got friends with CA's and they arent getting ANYWHERE as much smoke.

neil_se... where did your get your SAFC so cheap??? hook me up ;) and also, how hard was it to tune?

What color smoke? A fuel pump shouldnt make any difference.... even the stock puny fuel regulator on the SR20 had no problems with a bosch 044 pump I used. I think you have other issues that may not have anything to do with the tuning of your car :(

EDIT: oops should read properly... black does indicate fuel, when does it blow smoke? heavy throttle, over run, idle?? I would be checking for air leaks like BOV, cooler piping, maybe dodgey AFM or O2 sensor... either way I dont think its the fuel pump.

Apparently it's black and grey.... and it only happens when i'm on boost...

EDIT: yeah... it was doing it ever since i got it... even before the fuel pump(just not as much)... the blow off valve only makes it backfire and black puffs after gearchanges. how do i check for leaks?

i got my SAFC for $250, second hand through the trading post

neil_se and i put it in, did a bit of a tune, then i got it tuned on a dyno, works great!

I bought mine almost a year ago at that price, just a good deal off a forum. Should be able to pick one up for $300-320 no worries or a brand new SAFCII for not much more than $400. Easy to install, takes about 1/2 hour to tune on a dyno.

ECU remap is better because you can also get the ignition timing optimised which can produce nice increases in response and power. The SAFC cannot do this.

ECU remap is better because you can also get the ignition timing optimised which can produce nice increases in response and power. The SAFC cannot do this.

i also agree with this getting an after market ecu would be the best option you can tune your car to its full potential with out any hurt but be sure to let the pros tune it ill recommend the APexi Power FC if you got the cash

of course, and much more.

It's not real time though without an emulator, and you won't be able to adjust things any time you want to.

The SAFC is good for making small adjustments to fuelling in a cheap, quick, and easy way but it's not capable of real "tuning". The accuracy is not that high and it can't do anything with the ignition timing.

tuning the ecu is better but much more expensive

such is life

The good thing about an SAFC over a remap is that it is a once-off cost. After you buy it, you can change the air/fuel ratios as you like, a remap will cost that much, or close to that much, each time you want it tuned.

The bad thing about an SAFC is buying it is one thing. Even if you put it in yourself, getting it tuned is going to cost a few hundred bucks.

I think all up, an ECU remap is the way to go. It's what I'll be doing next. I also believe after reading heaps and heaps about aftermarket ECU vs remap, that remapping is better than aftermarket ECU, because of i) the amount of things that can be done with the stock ECU, ii) The fact that it'll still be legal (at least here in Vic) as oppposed to an aftermarket one, and iii) The limitation of some aftermarket ECUs. For example, some don't have any compensation for aircon pump when it comes on and the engine revs drop. Also, cold starts are problems for some. Stock ECU takes all this in it's stride.

That's just my opionion. :)

Also, a good mate of mine got his Audi Quattro ECU chipped last week, and cannot believe the difference - the guy that did it estimates at least 20RWKW increase.. :D

I'm going to go with a unichip when i get my injectors and AFM installed so i can keep my stock ECU and not have to worry about all problems like cold starts and what not....

rupil, why would you bother going with a unichip.. coulndt you just get your stock ecu remapped?? i know Dr. Drift was telling me he just takes out my one out, remaps and puts it back.

remap is a better thing to do. you can also eliminate the speed cut and rev limit with this in one move. also better if you are doing injectors, cams, fmic and fuel pump.

I think all up, an ECU remap is the way to go. It's what I'll be doing next. I also believe after reading heaps and heaps about aftermarket ECU vs remap, that remapping is better than aftermarket ECU, because of i) the amount of things that can be done with the stock ECU, ii) The fact that it'll still be legal (at least here in Vic) as oppposed to an aftermarket one,

Any changes to the ECU is illegal. The thing is with the remap it's almost impossible to detect if anyone simply has a look because it just looks like the stock ECU, most people wouldn't know the differance.

I remember Dr. Drift saying one of his old cars got EPA tested with the ECU remapped and it was putting out less emissions than a stock car!!

rupil, why would you bother going with a unichip.. coulndt you just get your stock ecu remapped?? i know Dr. Drift was telling me he just takes out my one out, remaps and puts it back.

I'm going with a unichip becuase you can change the maps and get it tuned acordingly with everything you change on the car, with a remap you set it and be done with it and from what i have been told you can't get a super fine tune out of it...... and this tuner that i have found is really good with unichips so i'm gona give it a go as we don't have that many options on where to go to get our cars tune down here in canberra.....

Could your black smoke be from a stuffed o2 sensor. When i had my car, it ran fine and on boost it blew smoke just like you said. Turn out to be a stuffed o2 sensor. You might not need a chip or safc, or just get dyno to see what the problem is and chip it while you at it. Don't bother with the safc.

SR/CA DET ecu's run excessively rich from factory as a bainaid against det.

So obviously an remap involved leaning out your A/F ratios to make more power, this would obviously be a benefit when being EPA tested in neatral/closed loop mode as leaner = less polution.

Less emissions would also be the same when on boost youd think.

But i could be wrong :blink:

I think all up, an ECU remap is the way to go. It's what I'll be doing next. I also believe after reading heaps and heaps about aftermarket ECU vs remap, that remapping is better than aftermarket ECU, because of i) the amount of things that can be done with the stock ECU, ii) The fact that it'll still be legal (at least here in Vic) as oppposed to an aftermarket one,

Any changes to the ECU is illegal. The thing is with the remap it's almost impossible to detect if anyone simply has a look because it just looks like the stock ECU, most people wouldn't know the differance.

I remember Dr. Drift saying one of his old cars got EPA tested with the ECU remapped and it was putting out less emissions than a stock car!!

Martyr - you're right, thanks for the correction. I had forgotten that fact! :)

hey rupil

how much for a unichip in canberra?

i got quoted $1600 supplied with boost controller, fitted, and tuned on a dyno...

Cost wise you cant beat an SAFC-II, first gen 8-point fuelling from e-bay, somebody like JapAndy ~$US 200.

You can get away with no timing control if your only using the stock turbo.

any big increase in Turbo size and you will need the ability to control the timing too.

Performace wise the Power FC is the daddy.

The E-manage is the best middle-ranking piggy-back with fuelling and Timing control.

A remapped daugther board vs a safc both dyno tuned, i reckon pricing would go close if not more for the safc. Therefore the remap wins hands down.

I am going through the same Dilema at the moment. i want to retune the ecu using Badbiki daughterboard (only $100) HOWEVER there is simply nobody in adelaide capable of tuning these :angry: If i could find someone then i would deffinately go that option. My AFRs are in the 10 region and it drinks petty when on boost. I feel my only option in adelaide is to go for an AFC. I have also heard a rumour that the fuel presure regulator on our cars can cause them to run rich

Nico_Dyno.jpg