Sign in to follow this  
GT-spec15

S15 gearbox oil

hey guys the car has clicked over 30 grand and its time to do the 'box oil.

ive read all the threads about motul vs redline etc etc, but have been a bit confused as ppl have been saying certain oils will only work properly under 'hard driving' etc

this s15 is a daily driver and rarely sees the angry side of 4or 5 grand. basically its treated like a baby.

i was wondering which aftermarket gear oil would be most beneficial for an unmodified s15 thats sees little to no hard use??

as we all know 1st to 2nd is a bit notchy and id love to be able to improve this

thanks!

I've had Castrol Syntrans recommended to me as the best gearbox oil for the S-15.

Careful though, don't get Syntrax....it's different.

I've tried Nissan oil and Redline oil and 1st to 2nd was quite notchy with both of those. I'm about to use the Syntrans, so I'll let you know how it goes.

Crazy.

i've been using castrol syntrans for the past month.

as smooth as perfect. better than any other oil i use.

i strongly recommend syntrans.

Go Castrol Syntrans. Its the best fluid Ive found in all the cars i've changed the tranny oil in. Dont use Redline Shockproof unless your box is f**ked. Even redline dont recommend shockproof for a daily driver.

The Redline Light shcok oil(pale blue) is quite good if you are driving hard and occasionally change gears around 6000rpm but I have heard that they can be bad for the synchros as it reacts with one of the metals, not too sure how accurate these statements are and if they are first hand or not.

I have used it and the shift quility is VERY NICE but by 10,000kms you need to change it to get the smoothness back.

Redline MT90 is a GL4 rated oil and works well once the oil has warmed up, so expect a bit of notchyness for the first 10 minutes of driving.

I'm using Motul Gear300 at the moment and 10,000 kms later no difference in shift quality and it too is a little notchey but a major improvement from the stuff that Nissan sells.

Given that my car is a weekend warrior I usually change the gear oil every 15,000kms.

Regards

Russ

ok thanks guys! much appreciated.

this castrol syntrans sounds quite good....as does the motul u described russ.

i really dont wanna be changing it every 10 or 15 thousand.....and yeah at least for a few years it wont be modded so im really just looking for something to improve the shift over stock

feel free to give any more suggestions, cheers

I tried stock (terrible), Mobil SHC (doesnt seem to suit the gearbox), and Castrol VMX 80 (as sold by nissan, better then the 2, but still a lot of room for improvement).

I want to try syntrax next. Beeing synthetic I would imagine it would last longer too. Whats it like when cold?

I tried to swap my Syntrax for Syntrans today, but after going to 3 different shops, none of them stocked it.

Looks like I'll have to order it in.

Crazy.

syntrax is not for s15 gearbox!

syntrans is the one u want....its a grey bottle rather than white bottle

i bought my car just after the 30000kms mark

i wonder if the previous guy changed the gearbox oil at 30000kms...

is there any way u can check if your gearbox oil has been changed?

i with s15 drifter...i using MOTUL gear300..nothing special should i say...was smooth 1st couple thousand k's but it now feels little notchy...is better than factory sh1t but i would now possible try for redline light shock oil...or as u guys hav mentioned the castrol stuff...i definately going to be changing gear oil on regular occasion now i hav more power, so by sounds of it redline would be best idea...i only hear good stuff about it too..changin every 10thou k's ok with me

I tried to swap my Syntrax for Syntrans today, but after going to 3 different shops, none of them stocked it.

Looks like I'll have to order it in.

Crazy.

i bought the last 2 bottles from preston autoban... :D

been bought almost 12 bottles from them cause my tranny was fcked and was doing it repeatedly for the past month.

I tried stock (terrible), Mobil SHC (doesnt seem to suit the gearbox), and Castrol VMX 80 (as sold by nissan, better then the 2, but still a lot of room for improvement).

I want to try syntrax next. Beeing synthetic I would imagine it would last longer too. Whats it like when cold?

there is no problem shifting when cold. you won't notice any different i.e when cold or hot, it just shift so smooth that you feel like you just got your car out of showroom. :D

there is no problem shifting when cold. you won't notice any different i.e when cold or hot, it just shift so smooth that you feel like you just got your car out of showroom. :D

What are you comparing it to? ie what did you have in your gearbox before?

hey Aidan, i use motol gear 300...and would reccomend it, tip top it is.

and not as heavily priced as the redline stuff.

sweet thanks matt! ill look into the motul gear 300 an castrol syntrans. im sure either would be an improvement over stock so ill check em both out ;)

What are you comparing it to? ie what did you have in your gearbox before?

i had nissan oil in my tranny before, it was a bitch to shift gear when cold.

when hot, it's hard to get into 2nd and 3rd during low speed.

then changed it to some penrite oil, then fcked up my tranny.

changed to syntrans everything seem to be so perfect, then again, my tranny started to wear out wheni put in penrite so cant' save much.

now change to another tranny, still use syntrans has no problem at all.

i am a bit picky, user manual said you must use GL4 in tranny, GL5 in diff (S15), motul is suitable for GL4/GL5 as stated on it's bottle, but i only want GL4 so i go for syntrans. :)

Don't bother with those useless synth oils for sale at autobarn - use Redline shockproof, really good oil, much better then Motul gear 300. Its hard to find, but you can go to a shop in Cheltenham called 'Oilworld' to get it. Ask him about it and the owner will give you a huge rave about why its a superior product.

Its hard to find, but you can go to a shop in Cheltenham called 'Oilworld' to get it. Ask him about it and the owner will give you a huge rave about why its a superior product.

Because his profit margin is much greater on redline stuff :P

Even Redline themselfself says not to use shockproof for standard daily use. :blink:

changed to syntrans everything seem to be so perfect, then again, my tranny started to wear out wheni put in penrite so cant' save much.

Do you think your tranny f**ked up due to penrite, or something else?

How long (how many kms) did you use that stuff for?

Well, I couldn't care if you want to use suspect oil in your transmission, why not use kmart mineral oil in your engine while your at it. - I've just personally found that redline shockproof works much better then other gear oils.

RealGT what are you on about. Redline and Motul are synth oils aswell. I suppose they're useless too?

Do you think your tranny f**ked up due to penrite, or something else?

How long (how many kms) did you use that stuff for?

changed to penrite it didn't do so well...... almost feel the same when cold, but when hot it's no problem.

Well, I couldn't care if you want to use suspect oil in your transmission, why not use kmart mineral oil in your engine while your at it. - I've just personally found that redline shockproof works much better then other gear oils.

5 speeds and 6 speeds has different internal.

this is something really got to be stopped on ns.com. give something you "know" not soomething you "thought". topic says "S15 gearbox oil", provide information if you drive one, or you using s15 tranny.

RealGT i am not critisizing you as a specific person just to take your post as an example of the wrong cultural on this forum. mean no offense.

this s15 is a daily driver and rarely sees the angry side of 4or 5 grand. basically its treated like a baby.

i was wondering which aftermarket gear oil would be most beneficial for an unmodified s15 thats sees little to no hard use??

why would you suggest a racing oil for him since he is not looking for one.

redline claimed their oil is not suitable for daily driving.