Sign in to follow this  
Grubby

CA18 Or SR20?

1100 for a CA18DET from the wreckers, or 3000 for SR20DET Half Cut....

Whatever I buy will end up going in a 700~ish kg ute, 200rwkw is the magic number..... but i cant decide what would be a better path, SR's have massive aftermarket support, but CA's aftermarket isn't as bad as I thought. Autobarn said if I give them a list of what i want they should be able to source it without too many problems at all, except SR's are eaisier....

Keep in mind, with the extra 1900 dollars saved going the CA Route, I could buy some low comp pistons, head gasket, cam etc etc and probably get the power im chasing without too much trouble..... Any suggestions? :huh:

You will always fall back on the sr20.

So your suggesting an SR20 would be a better choise in the long run? even for the extra dosh?

sr20s are more supported so take that path. ive heard ca parts are a little bit more expensive anyways

if your planning on big numbers ie 200rwkw an sr will get there alot easier and you won't even need to strengthen the internals

-Pete

In the end with the SR you won't need to open it up (which costs a lot more than people realise) and you can do it with cheap parts (S15 turbo, exhaust, fmic, ecu cams, fuel system upgrade). This will give you a very responsive 200rwkw which is absolutely reliable. A little bit extra in the beginning will make things a lot easier in the long run.

I have CA.. but I rather you go SR especially you want to meet those "magic numbers" easy

So the extra 1900 would be worth it? :huh:

Thanks for the oppinions guys, ive noticed sr20 parts are so easy to get, but 1100 for this ca is just too good :(

how hard is it going to be to get 200rwkw from a ca?

If you've got the extra cash to spend on the SR... get it.

Personally i'd save my cash and get the CA (provided it was in good condition).

From what ive read 200rwkw isnt that difficult to get with a CA? That's only words tho.

Ill make it short and sweet. This applies to anyone.

If you already have a SR, stick with it.

If you have a CA, stick with it.

If you want to convert your CA to SR..... rebuild the CA to be tougher.

Not sure what all the fuss is about in regard to CA Aftermarket parts. Cams can be ground by any reputable camshaft grinder, and you can use CA16DE cams for a more aggressive profile. Nissan still stock parts for the CA and spare motors are so dirt cheap its amazing. Metal headgaksets are available, i think FSC is the company.

Im faced with the same decision here..... i can spend 3500 on a 2nd hand crap SR motor thats going to die in 10,000kms driven daily and driven hard at the track, or i can spend that money to rebuild myself a sweet engine/turbo/fuel package that will last longer than any 2nd hand SR.

Im sure you can pick up a good CA for less than 1100, and if your really keen, you can pick up a dead CA long motor for 200 bucks and start from scratch. Bare in mind that machining costs will be around 1200 retail, piston package 800-1200, bearings, 300, misc stuff around 500. Not cheap by all means, but you get a tough motor that you built yourself and that will last.

End of the day it comes down to your pocket. In your situation, get a healthy CA (hear it running, drive it etc), modify it yourself and you should get close to 200rwkw with the right selection of parts and DIY.

So the extra 1900 would be worth it? :huh:

Thanks for the oppinions guys, ive noticed sr20 parts are so easy to get, but 1100 for this ca is just too good :(

how hard is it going to be to get 200rwkw from a ca?

If the difference is $1100 then you will definately need more than $1100 of mods to get the CA to out perform a SR. 200wrkw is not easy to drive.. I rather have more torque than hp. I am sure you've heard this saying...."There is no replacement for displacement"....

i have a CA s13, and i have raced a number of SR's on the street, and am yet to be impressed, if the SR's r stock, mine hauls arse over them, the only SR's that beat me have better mods than mine, ie bb turbo, more boost. So yeah, i am very happy with my CA and never had any major problems.

I cannot comment tho, on big power like over 200kw, as i am sure mine prolly has no more than 150rwkw.

And i hear the SR's have more torque, but mine is always quicker off the mark, maybe it is just caus i still have a t25g, dunno.

My CA: t25g turbo, front mount, 14psi, full 3", pod.

i love my ca but in your case i say go the sr. For the simply reason im guessing the engines going in a ute similar to the datto 1200 rite. Well the conversion is costly, its probably better to go with the sr cos the 200rwkw mark can be made on stock internals with the sr but more difficult with the ca though quite possible as shown by dr drifts ca datto.

but i see it this way and this is just my way of thinking

sr path = 3000 for engine, conversion cost preeti much same as ca, bolt ons = 200+ rwkw

ca path = 1100 for engine, conversion cost, rebuild cost, bolt on cost, larger maintance costs. Plus ca parts can be harder and more expensive than sr. Go the sr in this case i guess is what im saying champ.

I had a CA, and upgraded to SR. The car is 50 times better now. I'd never use a CA again. They are SH*T.

200rwkW in a CA will be on the edge for that motor, will be more laggy than an SR, and cost a lot more.

Spend the extra $$$ for the SR. It'll save you $$$ in the long run. Especially if you are going to mod it. Mine cost me $2800 (SR) and the power it is making now would have cost a lot more for CA.

Benny Mack

Not to mention, look at the future resale value. CA's are worth nothing compared to SR's. No one want the old head gasket chewing motors.

If $$$ is what you are worried about, I'd be looking at an RB20DET. They are killer motors too, and a lot cheaper than SR's. Sh*t all over a CA anyway.

Benny Mack

ask dr_drift bout this

his ca has 220 in his dato with stock internals so it can be done

but sr foreva..

will never look at buyin a 1.8

SR20 all the way.....For some reason people still spend heaps of money on CAs, but in my opinion, if you go buying a half cut of either, the chance of getting a f*%cked one is higher for a CA just coz they are older.

Not to mention, look at the future resale value. CA's are worth nothing compared to SR's. No one want the old head gasket chewing motors.

If $$$ is what you are worried about, I'd be looking at an RB20DET. They are killer motors too, and a lot cheaper than SR's. Sh*t all over a CA anyway.

Benny Mack

I was going to look into RB's but i think the engine bay is just a little bit too small, i may still look into it anyway, RB's have alot of potential.

I have to talk to this wrecker mate that my dad knows, i might be able to get a total bargin off him going the sr or rb route...

Thanks heaps for the feedback guys, I wanted to go SR origionally when i wanted a daddo, and since its a mazda ute everybody keeps telling me to put a rotary in it which is annoying :angry: I wanted an SR from day 1, not purists to tell me what to put in my car... Sorry if I have offended any of you nissan purists by wanting to put a nissan engine in a mazda, but they are good engines :D

And yeah i have a bit of money to play with, but its being done on a budget. I'll have 6k in 2 weeks, but also have previous experience with engine swaps and a mig welder B) so I should be able to get it done without blowing the budget too much.