Sign in to follow this  
milly23

Putting a Rb26dett in an S15?

I have to disagree with you there Brad, it's actually not that hard to get 350kw atw out of an SR nor would it have to be an unwieldy monster, you just need to build it with brains rather than the more typical approach of "stick a huge turbo on it" that often is done with SR's. Yes, it will cost a fair stack of cash but it's certainly well within the budgets that we're dealing with here.

never one to argue with you Greg, you are one of the few here that know what they are going on about, but how reliable do you feel it would be at 350rwkw day in day out..... i guess this is more the area i was directing my post at

it wont cost 30K LOL.

my mate has done lots of this sorta work ex 4L lexus v8 in a vs commo (mind u its fully worked twin turbo)/rb26 in too a lj tory worked a fair bit too.

and i would say shop around and u might get it done for aboit 15 to 20k that inculdes motor.

my mate is about to put a gtir (sr20der)motor and drive train under a nx coupe and its only costin him 18k and thats with motor and every thing.

never one to argue with you Greg, you are one of the few here that know what they are going on about, but how reliable do you feel it would be at 350rwkw day in day out..... i guess this is more the area i was directing my post at

350 odd can be quite reliable, I'd be doing differently to how anyone else in aus has done it though. As long as you don't do something silly with them SR's can be very reliable. Devlsh is probably a good example of that, sure it's a drag only car but given the power it's making it's actually had very little done to the engine (less than what has been done to a few street S15's in the club) and is extremely reliable at the track. A lot more reliable than it's more famous and much more expensive stablemate :) The SR has some strengths and weaknesses, address the weaknesses and build on the strengths and it will do pretty amazing things.

it wont cost 30K LOL.

my mate has done lots of this sorta work ex 4L lexus v8 in a vs commo (mind u its fully worked twin turbo)/rb26 in too a lj tory worked a fair bit too.

and i would say shop around and u might get it done for aboit 15 to 20k that inculdes motor.

what does a TT lexus V8 in a commo have to do with an RB26 in an S15?

find a reputable workshop that'll do an RB26 conversion into a sil for 15k.. no chance.....

Hey guys,

Well im actually in the process of doing a SIMILAR conversion. MY main difference is that im using the rb30 bottom end with even bigger pistons again! yeah im taking it from 87mm pistons to 88.5 so should make it like a 3.09 litre. We are retaining twin turbo but swapping to hks items. this is all going into an s13 however we are doin the coversion ourselves (Dragon Motorsports) So far it has cost 75 for the rb30 800 for the pistons (GREX [TRUST]) but obviously we don't charge ourselves labour. I would estimate labour at about 500 bucks at the moment so total cost is 1375. We have a rb26 head coming in with 264 cams and valves springs etc for 780 bucks. Bear in mind this is all cost price to us. When it's all completed i'll post up a full break down of the build up and costs and pictures also. We will let you know all the pros and cons so other people can carry out these proceedures.

ITS all fun!!!

Cheers guys

Hmmm I'd rather spend the cash (ie 20k) on the current motor. It would be a beast and destroy any RB26 with the stock turbos.

Or a half assed conversion would be a RB25DET. Cheap, almost as much torque as the RB26, and would still go bloody hard, especially with an aftermarket turbo!

Hmmm I'd rather spend the cash (ie 20k) on the current motor. It would be a beast and destroy any RB26 with the stock turbos.

Or a half assed conversion would be a RB25DET. Cheap, almost as much torque as the RB26, and would still go bloody hard, especially with an aftermarket turbo!

It's not hard the beat an RB26 silvia which is still running standard turbos! An SR with standard turbos can do that :)

How much power is the BMTS15 making again? Or when Kristoffer gets of his arse gets 200sex going.

Making 350rwkw reliable day in and day out is one thing, but making it streetable is another. Can you image the power band of a HKS T51SPL on a SR20 (or SR22) for that matter?

You don't need anything near a turbo that size for 350 atw, you just need to think about what you're doing and build a proper engine, not just bolt a big turbo on. In terms of the "big" SR's they're running comfortably over 500kw atw

omg

350 odd can be quite reliable, I'd be doing differently to how anyone else in aus has done it though. As long as you don't do something silly with them SR's can be very reliable.

post up what you would do differently i would be interested to hear.

thanks

i havnt read anything but id just rather spend 7k on your SR and make the bottom end stronger and get a ecu , exhaust manifold,and tubo upgrade alon g with the forgies etc..

itd cost around the same and have less hassles.

someone here likes making custom engine mounts and/or front crossmembers, or they are going to need a nice bonnet scoop to fit the front end of the engine under the bonnet of their S13 :D :D I am sure your already aware that the deck height of an RB30 is quite a bit larger than the RB26, and thats only compounded by the plate needed to mate the 26 head to the 30 bottom end..... your going to have some massive clearance isues with your bonnet let me tell you as the 26 just fits as is...

Nice Greg, nice!!! lol give me time mate and i will show that stock turbo SR a thing or two :D :D :D

Since the last post we have revised our method and chosen the rb25de head as it is a direct fitment onto the rb30 block. major modification being movement of the belt tensioner.

Ido09s: thanks for the info. im guess that at this stage we might need to do both. no drama. see how it goes. cheers

i reckon your going to have to do some r&d dude before you go to far with it cause i dont think you will fit it in without a bonnet scoop.... its the deck height that is going to cause you some major issues as its just to high for any S13/14/15..... i know of one S14 in Sydney with an RB30/25 combo and it has a bonnet scoop to make it fit.... its obviously not impossible, its just more difficult than the normal RB26 conversion thats all and will require a fair bit more custom work

Yeah just gave it a rough test then to see how much we will need to lift the bonnet. Needs a bit of clearance. If we can drop the mounts down a bit we can reduce the amount of lift or clearance the bonnet will need. Its all fun and games. Hey bro you actually know of anyone that has done the rb30/25 combo in a s13? Would just like to see sum pics! Gotta finish the twin turbo CA20 first. Should be interesting.

Boyz toyz! :):)

sorry dude, no pics. Just familiar with the whole process and what other people have had to do to clear it thats all