Sign in to follow this  
milly23

Putting a Rb26dett in an S15?

I know this has been done before, i seen it at MAS. and in mags etc....I was just wondering what is involved? How hard would it be? and what costs would be involved?

Im prob not gonna do this in the near future but if my sr shat itself I would certainly consider it...

I think the S15 already has GTR brakes and diff dosent it?

not brakes but i think they have the same or similar diff. lots of custom mounts and it would bee way too much work and cost too much money!!!!!!!!

I knew it would cost a heap, just curious, thats all.

I caould prob pick up the motor for about 7 - 8K......why so expensive??

alot of work to fit it.. wiring and etc.. welding mounts and getting it to fit properly.. if u want info just call him up.. the person u talking bout is james from OH performance.. do a search and you would be able to find his number..

u gotta remember that due to the weight of the engine u will get a very different distribution ratio and ur rear end will be very unstable. GTR Brakes are Brmebo's so no S15's dont have them. The Diff yeah its a GTR Helical, but they arent really suited for the S15 due to its RWD nature. It suits the GTR perfectly though. I tihnk it would be a cool idea and a monster but yeah quite costly and a "why do u need to do it" kind of situation

Clint

speak with advan performance, they have recently finished putting a rb26 into a s14a. its a animal car.

or speak with autosport engineering at kirrawee, they have done a few rb26's into s13/14/15 etc.

To counteract the weight increase from the RB26DETT I think it would be a good idea to put the gearbox where the back seats would normally be. Yes, lot's of custom fabrication & welding but it should even out the weight distribution & make for a great handling car with insane amounts of power. And no rear seats of course..

Anyone agree?

To counteract the weight increase from the RB26DETT I think it would be a good idea to put the gearbox where the back seats would normally be. Yes, lot's of custom fabrication & welding but it should even out the weight distribution & make for a great handling car with insane amounts of power. And no rear seats of course..

Anyone agree?

Phaha thats the funniest thing i've heard all day!

yeah RB motors do weigh a bit more, the car wont handle any where near as good...

leave the engine where it belongs - in a skyline

I say go for it!! Its not my money you are spending.

Anyone agree?

Phaha thats the funniest thing i've heard all day!

And it's exactly what they do for the JGTC gtrs/Z's :)

Fair enough the idea is a bit extreme for a street car but it would make quite an improvement, thats why cars like the porsche 944 and alfa gtv used this (transaxle) setup.

I know this has been done before, i seen it at MAS. and in mags etc....I was just wondering what is involved? How hard would it be? and what costs would be involved?

Im prob not gonna do this in the near future but if my sr shat itself I would certainly consider it...

I think the S15 already has GTR brakes and diff dosent it?

Thanks  :)

dude if ur thinking an s15 has gtr brakes and diff.

dont bother going through with the conversion. (nb even though 32 gtrs have same brakes as s15.. their still sh1t brakes)

you still have a lot of researching and reading to do.

BUT

if u are serious. start saving ur pennies.

Hmmm spend 30k on the s15,crazy boosted sr20det,suspension, some deep dish rims and kit, or spend 30k on a rb26 conversion, that leaves you with the stock engine (although still quick) plus stock rest of the car.

also need to consider if u want to use the car at all on the street - might not be able to get an older engine engineered in a newer car

Some buggar also asked the Same question this month in HOT 4's with a 20K budget...thats not u is it?

I've seen it done b4, In japan. The car boogied...like you wouldnt blv.

Nice conversion.

Depends how many times the engineer needs to come out and inspect, and how long they take to inspect...

But they arnt cheap.

buahahaha, i guess you all think it drives like crap and has poor weight distribution and handling cause you read it on the net somewhere else didnt you......

this conversion is awesome trust me..... handling for a quick street car is perfect and hardly changed from when the SR20 was under the hood...... and its not as hard as you think it might be

price wise..... depends on what brand of parts you decide to use and what you want to upgrade..... you have no hope f getting change from $20k..... you will have to stretch the budget quite considerably if thats what you think it iwll cost you

X-Speed in Perth are doing this conversion to an S15 at the moment and not sparing the dollars.

They've got a stroker kit to bring it out to a 2.8L motor, etc.

It's one of their own cars, so I guess they will use it as a promotional vehicle once complete.

They were saying that they'll need to put around 150kg of baffle weight in the boot area to balance the car again, so I guess that isn't too bad.

I'm not sure if this extra weight would be before or after doing things such as relocating the battery to the boot area...

EDIT: Here is a link to their web page about the project:

http://www.xspeed.com.au/ssport/43x15/

i was going to go and put an RB26dett in my car, but insurance wouldnt cover me so the project went down the drain.

austosport engineering was doing the conversion for me, it was costing me around $15k MAX just to get the engine in and running in my 180sx.

when u add mods ontop of that.... well then cya later. all up i was going to spend around 20k on the car, getting a FMIC, boost controller, Turbo timer, boost guage, new air filter, bigger custom radiator, surge tank and a few other bullshit bits needed so that the engine wouldnt overheat.

i recommend autosport engineering to do the job if you are in sydney, greg has a s13 with an rb26dett and its an absolute monster - also he knows what he would be doing since hes done it many a time b4.

-mark

Think about it like this, 30k is a rough estermite! But imagine spending 30K on your current engine! could get more power than a stock RB26DETT...

Just think about why your acually doing this conversion? lol is it just to show that it can be done? or so your car goes fast?

Or do you just wanta have something different to every body else?

buahahaha, i guess you all think it drives like crap and has poor weight distribution and handling cause you read it on the net somewhere else didnt you......

this conversion is awesome trust me..... handling for a quick street car is perfect and hardly changed from when the SR20 was under the hood...... and its not as hard as you think it might be

price wise..... depends on what brand of parts you decide to use and what you want to upgrade..... you have no hope f getting change from $20k..... you will have to stretch the budget quite considerably if thats what you think it iwll cost you

of all the people that have posted in this thread, this is the ONLY person that i believe ANYTHING they have said, seeing that they have 1st hand personal experience in building an RB26 powered sil..

anyone else in this thread had such experience?

thought not...

Thanks Daniel ;) ;)

Think about it like this, 30k is a rough estermite! But imagine spending 30K on your current engine! could get more power than a stock RB26DETT...

you wish!!!! A totally built SR20 putting out 350rwkw will be a time bomb even if built and tuned by the best. An RB26 with only bolt ons making 350rwkw wont even be stressed...... the SR would have quite a large turbo and probably wouldnt be overly street friendly, it wouldnt like sitting and idling in traffic and would be best left as a weekend driver.... the RB26 would be a total pussy cat and easily driven any day of the week..... it would happily idle at the lights and could easily be driven any day of the week, all week round.

Sure, lots will agree that its a challenge making the SR go and a little more rewarding, but at the end of the day most of us have gotta look at our hip pocket..... and anything that can be done more reliably will win out in the end....

bout 20-25k drive in and out no where near 30

lol cos 25 is soooo far aaway from 30 <_>