Sign in to follow this  
drifts13

Calling Turbotech boost controller experts - adjusting does nothing!

I have a problem with my boostr controller, where no matter what adjustment i make, the boost stays at 12psi.

With the screw all the way in (which should give me maximum boost) I get 12psi

with the screw all the way out, holding on by a thread, i get 12psi !!!

I have done some research online and no one seems to know why or how to fix it.

The only thing useful i found was on the SAU forum where some guy took it to CRD and they said there was an issue with the cannister not being connected properly, and they fixed it.

everyone says how great these things are. I have installed the right way but i always have problems with this damn thing, is it anything to do with the car electronics - i have an s15 adm .

could the controller be faulty. im thinking of chucking it out and buying another brand ball and spring one, like HDI.

There is a tiny 1 mm hole on the side of the controller, i have a few controllers and some of the holes are slightly bigger. DOes this hole do anything? i have heard of people wedling these holes up?

Thanks

Edited by drifts13

The hole is there to bleed hte excess pressur out of the line, otherwise it will drive like shit untill hte pressure goes somewhere or equalises.

mine came undrilled, so had to drill it.

throw up a pic,

and its a mechanical ball and spring, so it will not effect any electronics within the car.

the only way it cannot be connected properly is if you installed it the wrong way around,

only 2 ways to install it, wrong and right.

I have one fitted to an adm S15. No problems.

As mentioned, send a pic of how it's plumbed up. Do you have any of the inline restrictors in the hoses still - if so, point out where they are. I'm guessing you've opened and confirmed that the ball can slide up past the outlet freely? The outlet size shouldn't have any bearing on the boost level you reach.

I had a turbotech. worked great for about 2 years and then fell apart, leaving my turbo to freeboost.

the Turbosmart boost tee is a similar mechanism, and a much better design that is easier to adjust (single knob to turn, and it has increments - it clicks every 1/8 of a turn)

best part is that its design WONT fall apart.

To answer your question - make sure you remove and block off the vacuum lines to the solenoid that allows the ECU to control the boost. you can get your Turbotech working with it, but it will work strangely.

Buy an EBC thumb.gif

if your considering buying another one or a newer one, do this

i did, ditched the Boost T and went EBC, for about $100 more then a new boost T these days, you WILL get the most out of your turbo whatever turbo you have. All pros and no cons about EBC

A photo would help.

Where are the vac lines coming from? I hooked one up recently and my vac source is from the Throttle body. I didnt have a source closer, but vac is vac.

Maybe that ball inside is jammed?

Buy an EBC thumb.gif

if your considering buying another one or a newer one, do this

i did, ditched the Boost T and went EBC, for about $100 more then a new boost T these days, you WILL get the most out of your turbo whatever turbo you have. All pros and no cons about EBC

I dunno, in comparison to a boost tee, you have the additional work involved with wiring and feeding shit into the cabin. Boost Tee you just cut the vac line and install and crank as required.

if you are running big boost and have a tuned engine, you might want the extra reliability of the EBC, but for adding a few pounds of boost the boost Tees are pretty reliable (if they dont, as i said previously, fall apart.)

My turbotech hold boost just fine all the way to redline. 16psi. No need for EBC.

• Downvote 1

Boost t is a boost t, don't care who makes em . I also prefer ebc's

Yes for tight Asses but the result in the end is the same thing for less money so that in my eyes is winning.

• Downvote 1

Yes for tight Asses but the result in the end is the same thing for less money so that in my eyes is winning.

how is the result the same its completely different, an EBC allows you to have various stages of boost and better boost control

Used a turbotech for about 4-5 yrs. Just recently went to ebc (gfb gforce) totally different ball game. Both are reliable but ebc allows you to sets gains and sensitivity way more advanced in controlling boost levels. I highly recommend going to ebc.

With Gain you can control the ramp up of boost. It will also minimize boost spike.

For me, i want to build boost as quickly as possible, and a turbo tech works just fine.

• Downvote 1

With Gain you can control the ramp up of boost. It will also minimize boost spike.

For me, i want to build boost as quickly as possible, and a turbo tech works just fine.

you can build boost quicker with a decent EBC as the wastegate can be set to be complete shut until the desired boost is reached

even a turbotech ball bearing valve will begin to open up (making up numbers here) when there's about 50% of the boost reached, where as a EBC can be shut until there's about 80% of boost made (just making up numbers here again).