Sign in to follow this  
j-sx

Simple yet effective – ADM S15

Hi All,

I’ve been lurking the forum for some time - taking in the good & not so good. Although my car isn’t as developed as others here, I thought it’s timely to post up a brief given where it is today.

It’s a brilliant blue 2001 ADM s15 - was purchased from an elderly fellow in the central coast in stock form in August 2008. It had a bit of km’s on it for my liking, some general wear in terms of paint/panels etc. otherwise it was mechanically sound, drove very well & the price was right.

The main goal of ‘stage 1’ as I’d like to think of it, was to get it up to a good standard visually, keeping it simple and clean overall (retaining factory lines). Performance/engine wise I haven’t delved in too much as yet, the plan is to carry out a re-build in the near future if or when something pops – of course this forms part of ‘stage 2’. So without blabbing on too much – follow the pics to the end product, I’ve tried to keep it in order of mods – pics maybe too excessive!

Purchased & initiated at the local industrial area, its testicles size was evident.

1_zps7e036a59.jpg

2_zps2bf408ec.jpg

Drove it stock for a while after tinting the windows, then new turbo back exhaust

3_zpscb258ab1.jpg

Followed by front mount – it looked like predator with his mask off.

4_zpsf4baee84.jpg

5_zps7259e0c4.jpg

So while the front bar was off.. I took the liberty to be ripped off by j-imports & nissan by purchasing new headlights & an aero bar.

6_zpsbcf108a8.jpg

7_zps1ae0f1df.jpg

So with a mismatched colour front bar, I drove around like this for a bit.. but who cares! The aero bar was mean & rare at the time!

8_zpsd1603e94.jpg

9_zpsb8867a85.jpg

Then I wasn’t really happy with the way the FMIC piping was set up.. nor the colour of it, so I had the piping shortened on the turbo side, painted everything black & also had a custom carbon air box made up..looked stealthy-ish.

10_zps70ab7889.jpg

At this point I had enough of the front bar being mis-matched, so decided to get it painted properly. But then I thought, if I’m going to do this.. I may as well do it right. So purchased a new boot lid, ganador mirrors, nismo smoked side indicators, OEM jap spec rear bar + rear pods (ripped off again by j-imports), de-badged the whole car & had it sprayed so that it all matched.

11_zps235155f7.jpg

12_zpse896e75f.jpg

13_zps90a7a294.jpg

& the finished product,,, wasn’t disappointed

14_zps909e6401.jpg

15_zpsbe978f05.jpg

16_zps4633ca63.jpg

But then, for some reason.. I thought the rear looked a little homo, like something was missing – I think I knew what it was (before & after). P.S someone buy my damn bootlid..its cheap!

17_zps6b3d10aa.jpg

18_zps4fc8bdfc.jpg

19_zpsb05db4bf.jpg

I then concentrated some attention to the cabin. New touch screen stereo, replacement speakers, GT spec shift boot with surround (again, ripped off by Nissan) & HKS auto/multi meter.. for those ‘thrashing then stopping at the shops’ moments.

20_zps4ec29c82.jpg

By now, I was over taking it to workshops & spending .. & it was pretty clean, so drove around & enjoyed it for what felt like a long time however, I was still saving..

This happened..ordered new. They were a bit steep but the ozzie dollar was on my side.

21_zpsfc2e5859.jpg

Kept saving bit by bit.. & then finally I ordered new Tein monoflexes set to a soft setting. Shortly after some cusco front tension rods, rear camber & toe arms (no photos of these). I was strict with ride height, didn’t want it slammed with stupid camber, also kept the standard rear & front height differences as stock so that change in roll centre was minimal..to keep in line with the factory base so to speak

22_zps274f7ce8.jpg

BOOOM. Toughness was present.

23_zps6551eec9.jpg

24_zps4a93c075.jpg

use2-2.jpg

26_zps713f9944.jpg

27_zpsa0d02c49.jpg

28_zps7fbe0beb.jpg

So at this point I thought.. okay ‘stage 1’ is complete.. & then, I started getting the wrong attention off the popo, the car would always get those stairs, until inevitably I got defected for my exhaust being too big/loud & questioned about my rims.. then again I didn’t blame them given the rim poke coupled with the fat exhaust.. it was a deadly combo…so I said bye bye exhaust.

29_zpse55aa8e1.jpg

30_zps792b7f20.jpg

In the meantime, installed a DEFI guage & boost controller ..which to date has not been used … yet. So the interior was done.

31_zps7fd307e8.jpg

Then finally matured a bit, got over the hella thrush look.. & the slight poke..& the slight inner tyre tread wear, along with the excessive camber even though it wasn’t that excessive & the wrong attention from the popo. I thought why did I buy these rims?! Get something that’s decent looking.. less than 50% of the price of the meisters, light weight & strong, race bred & within your guards yet tough in appearance at the same time..

So this is how the car sits today.. I'm content with it..

32_zpsca9582a2.jpg

33_zps5c026878.jpg

34_zpse6fbc63c.jpg

35_zps943620e6.jpg

36_zps0a1dff53.jpg

Oh & forgot to mention that I also purchased a bride digo R seat + MO rail along with some ferrodo DS2500 front pads after a couple of close calls & an organic HD NPC clutch + flywheel. To date, it’s been mechanically sound & very reliable.. so now I need a name for the car.. I’ve always been fond of the name Gilbert.

Until next time.. over’n’out.

J.

So in a nutshell you bought a s15, did a skid, big exhaust, front mount, front bar, mirrors and paint. Then you bought some rims and the po po told you to sit in the naughty corner so you changed your exhaust and bought more rims?

nice work. I actually like the color :)

Cops enjoy annoying you Aussie blokes don't they? On the plus side very tidy example :)

thanks gents.. & yes although not much work has been done so to speak.. for me, because i did it over such a long period of time - it sort of feels like a lot if that makes sense. just need to make it quick now :)

nice car man! personally i think your wheels would looks best if they were in silver and with a bit more offset up front but bar that looks sweet wish my 15 had of been that colour!

i originally wanted to match the width on all 4..but that would mean spacers/new front guards & decent camber to make them fit & not look silly.. though, generally speaking with lower offset rims - you cant fit big brakes.. hence why i went staggered.

specs of RPF1's are:

rear 17x9 +45

front 17x8 +35

tyres are 45 profile 235 rears & 225 fronts.. nothing crazy but for the practically stock power i have, is a good match.

Was scrolling down on my phone. unexpectedly good!

So, a little off topic but still relevant.. for the first time ever, i attended my first track day @ Wakefield park.. Gilbert got me there in style & comfort as always..

IMG_8378_zps06758bfa.jpg

however, he was to sit on the sidelines. Given it was my first time i needed to know what i was in for, the last thing i wanted was for Gilbert to end up in a barrier all bent up, so i booked a trackshcool track day.. in a 'go kart' (pretty much).. with instructions from a pro, John Boston.

the weapon of choice..

IMG_8385_zpseead9257.jpg

IMG_8400_zps43ab62ce.jpg

stripped out..buckets, roll bar, big brakes.. semi's..the engine was stock besides the full exhaust + intake & pulled okay for a little 1.8. I must say, i have never had so much fun! it wasn't the quickest down the straight but was untouchable around corners. I was surprised how difficult it was at first.. in terms of getting your breaking points & lines right, keeping it smooth & looking further past the corner to map out the next one.. but as with everything, the more you do the more you improve & by the end of the day looking back at the first session improvement was massive!

all in all awesome day.. but now there is a major problem.. as Gilbert is a weekend car only.. & far too clean to put through this sort of abuse.. the long drive back home got me thinking about somethings..mainly, will i keep Gilbert.. or will he move on?!

stay tuned..

very nice dude. clean and well modded

props for thinking for yourself too, instead of following the crowd

Hey mate how did you find the track school day?

Thinking of doing this myself, either go hit up a track/racetrack school or a rally school. Which did you recommend to improve your skills as a driver?

i'd go trackshcool @ wakefield.. its a good circuit with little to no barriers..a little pricy but worth it. instructed by pro drivers + get to drive their cars if you wish (they have a 300kw or so 180sx, 2x mx5's & a honda)..otherwise can take your own car. 1 day is a short time to really improve your skills but it's enough to get a decent base for the next time.. i had good track time & there isn't much traffic at all during the sessions.. its one of those things you need to do over a longer period to master.

i have always liked circuit racing.. if your the same i warn you .. if you do this you might get 'the bug'!

I still hope to have my exterior this clean once she's painted, you make me jealous :D

really..6 years.. ? dont know about that.. your probably referring to the timing of my initial post.

car is SOLD !! was a bit emotiional seeing it driven away.. but no regrets, even though i was pretty attached to it.

the 'replacement' will be built to turn corners..well, a circuit orentated weekend warrior.

J.

Thread revival!

It’s been a while my fellow Silvia brothers.. I haven’t been to the site for a while so I thought may as well update this thread. Gilbert the s15 (my true love) is now in the ownership of a member on here, I’m glad it’s gone to a good home/owner. He popped by during the week & was kind enough to let me see & drive it. although I miss it, I don’t regret selling it, as it was time for something different. It’s amazing the bond you build & all the memories made with a piece of metal over a course of time.

So here is the replacement..

IMG_0337_zpswslmlyix.jpg

DAO_0818_zpspcelg8e6.jpg

DAO_9559_zpsurqfcue6.jpg

IMG_0364_zpscja8eacg.jpg

Blue turd 2002 NB mx5 1.8L VVT naturally aspirated, producing 113kw.. weighs just over 1000kg’s.. really is a nugget in straight line performance, but around corners, it’s a different story. On the outside it’s cute & girly looking some say, but with the right modifications & driven properly, it has the potential around twisties or the track, turn in is pretty awesome & natural, finding the limits of this car is much harder than the 15 (even with fully completed suspension set up). I purchased it purely to get stuck into circuit racing..but it’s street registered & see’s the royal nasho frequently.. though its not as precious as the s15. You’re thinking why did you sell the 15 for this?! The best way to answer that is, go & drive one, only then you will know why.

I’m not done with ownership of another Nissan.. I know for certain the next one will be white, in line six.. twin turbo, 4wd with a v-spec 2 badge on the rear.

Over’n’out,

J.

The mx5 is cool man - the hard top takes away some of the girly look of it.