HyperGear

HyperGear SR20det turbocharger Innovation, Evaluation and Testing

Sorry don't have a dyno chart on eflex fuel will get a comparison off all with 3 setups once I put on the .86 housing

Not too sure when peak torque hit but 20psi by 3700rpm slightly creeped to 4000rpm as he did 3 back to back runs due to heat soak

Solid powerband to limiter 7200rpm

Nismo 740cc injectors extra bar base fuel pressure

Edited by pur40m

Had some time working on a newer version of SS15 SR turbo this weekend. Knowing the .64 might be restrictive up top, how ever I still want to keep it for its response, so I've grind down a larger exhaust wheel to suit the T28 bearing housing. Below is still the SS1.5 now running a much larger rear.

frontused.JPG

I have also bored out the internal gate to 36mm and used an large 38mm internal wastegate.

rearlarger.JPG

Its currently installed, response wise feel similar to the original version. How ever in upper top range it no longer feels like hitting a brick wall. I'm hopping to maintain the maximum compressor efficiency with lot less boost, while improve mid top range torque. Dyno tuning coming week hopefully.

Edited by HyperGear

Can't decide what to change on my ss1.5 the rear housing to .86 or Tao's new larger turbine wheel to relive the engine of some back pressure

See what results his new turbo design delivers

would one of these turbos with the .64 rear be suitable for around 15psi on an unopened motor?

Not sure where Trent went this days. Not yet contactable.

.64 rear is fine for up to about 250rwkws. I'm just trying new methods getting more power without adding lag this stage.

Edited by HyperGear

would one of these turbos with the .64 rear be suitable for around 15psi on an unopened motor?

remember it's not boost that kills motors, it's cylinder pressure caused by exhaust back pressure (small housing) AND excessive timing (for the amount of back pressure generated from the exhaust housing)

You can happily feed 1.4bar into a SR20DET unopened :)

sooooo I shouldnt run 12 pound on my T25 then? is that what you're saying?

^ I'm not an expert in T25 turbos, however 2x S15s I've tuned recently both run 1.2 bar, however bleed down to 1bar.. on the dyno, after about 7 hard 11km/sec ramps the motor started to ping (as the turbo started to glow).

The stock turbine has a tinny rear wheel which will creep alot of back pressure and heat at high boost. They are also equip with a small 270 degree thrust bearing that doesn't handle turbine end pressure so well. So at high boost levels, through a period of time, it wears through the thrust and develop an shaft play.

• Upvote 1

Thanks. Winding down to 10 psi...

frontused.JPG

Some updates on the SS15 prototype. It behaved as expected. Managed to max out the compressor using way less boost. The engine is much happier and been able to take more timing up top. Down side is slightly laggier due to larger exhaust wheel.

The most it made was 280rwkws peeked 26psi. Which at 21psi it managed to reach 270rwkws which was what the original version at using 25psi of boost. Pretty happy out come. Dyno tuned at Chequrered tuning based on pump 98 fuel.

Purple and thick blue is from the new SS1.5 today.

Thin faded blue is from the original SS1.5

power.JPG

boost.JPG

Edited by HyperGear

dumb question but how would this turbo react with VCT then in theory?

dumb question but how would this turbo react with VCT then in theory?

more response, in theory would be able to get it to come on song like 200~400 rpm earlier

That looks pretty impressive Stao. What would it take to convert my ss1pu to an ss1.5?

VCT would be making around 500RPMs of different in response. I have bought the gear. it will be installed after I get this profile set. Its currently a lot more sensitive to changes in the wheel configuration.

The SS1PU on this turbine would be getting over 300rwkws easy.

So whats the major difference between the two turbos?

Not a bad result but still think the smaller turbine might be better suit to this compressor

As it made 10kw more but at 1psi more and more timing but 2-300rpm lag penalty compared to the smaller turbine

I'll be installing the .86 rear to my ss1.5 this weekend and tune maybe 2-3weeks see how it goes

Tao what psi actuator you use on that run as there is a fair amount if boost drop

Well its still the same compressor. All I did was changing the turbine.

Main goal was reaching more power on less boost. Using the new turbine I'm been able to get 270rwkws based on 21psi while older turbine would required 25psi.

The advantage is very useful when comes to stock engines that can't handel so much boost.

Its holding pretty flat till 20psi. And then started to drop, I believe this compressor wheel is too small supplying 20psi to the engine after certain rpms.

I'm developing an CBB turbo for it at moment. Looking to make some thing crazy. tongue.png

Edited by HyperGear

This might be some food for thought. I was looking at the specs of the BC S2 cams. and found a dyno comparison of it vs stock cams. its 40kws differences in certain areas down low tho. Not sure what the Pon cams are like vs stock cams.

sr20dyno.jpg

Not sure if you read it right but it's more like 20kw difference up top but sacrafice 20kw from start till about 4500rpm

Difference is in the turbine but same compressor. The idea was getting maximum compressor efficiency based on lower boost level. This have worked. And after I get the limitation of what the compressor and turbine is capable of flowing, I will be able to precisely match an turbine with the right compressor, generating the most power for the level of response given.

As for the moment the SS1 in .64 turbine would be perfect for 250rwkws mark.

Difference is in the turbine but same compressor. The idea was getting maximum compressor efficiency based on lower boost level. This have worked. And after I get the limitation of what the compressor and turbine is capable of flowing, I will be able to precisely match an turbine with the right compressor, generating the most power for the level of response given.

As for the moment the SS1 in .64 turbine would be perfect for 250rwkws mark.

So whats the max potential for the 1.5 on e85 and about 25psi no cams?

is the ss1 the atr28SS? (website doesn't share a lot of info) If so have you done any testing on this in .64 with standard non VTC SR20?

Edited by rezzy_S13

The SRs output depending on its cams by a lot. Its almost as important as the turbo it self. The Difference between the BC stage 2 cams and tomei Pon cams is 15KWs, While the Pon cams has roughly 200 RPMs of better response.

The SS1.5 on my BC cams maxed out at 270rwkws at 25psi. So technically that would be around the 290rwkws mark on E85.

Currently the SS1 was trailed in .86 turbine housing that maxed out at 255rwkws, While the .64 is capable of flowing 260rwkws comfortably using the same turbine end. So I believe the .64 turbine should be just perfect for this compressor. Assume identical setup it should be maxing out around 250rwkws while reaching 20psi by 3600rpms on a none VTC SR20det.

Posting a little update. This is the SS2 based ATR28 turbocharger with a even larger turbine. This particular one runs off ceramic roller bearings. Hopping to get 300rwkws+ with 20psi by 4000RPMs.

comp.JPG

turbine.JPG

Posting a little update. This is the SS2 based ATR28 turbocharger with a even larger turbine. This particular one runs off ceramic roller bearings. Hopping to get 300rwkws+ with 20psi by 4000RPMs.

comp.JPG

turbine.JPG

That looks sweet, 300rwkw on an SR. So this turbo would be comparable to a 3071 or a bit bigger?