HyperGear

HyperGear SR20det turbocharger Innovation, Evaluation and Testing

One more announcement to make I wish to make is my workshop is now opening to public. We will be carrying out all sort of engineering service to every one whom needs any sort of turbocharger related work for very reasonable prices, and for 9 years of turbo related engineering experiences, you will not find better workmanship. So If you wish to build you own dream turbo your own way, here is where you start.

Here are some prices for some basic services. I will keep the list updated.

Individual component balancing for compressor and turbine wheel or Assembly balancing: $100

compwheelbalance.jpg

turbinewheel.jpg

assemblybalance.jpg

VSR simulation and corrections, this is ideal for checkup for used and brand new CHRAs.

vsr.jpg

Turbocharger Compressor profile and machining to suit specific compressor wheel and back plate $150:

housingprofile.jpg

comphosuingfinish.jpg

sittinghousing.jpg

Turbine housing profile and machining $150:

onleathe.jpg

turbinehousingprofile.jpg

Turbocharger Wastgate porting and machining $50

wastegate.jpg

This is a engineering service re-shaping turbocharger back plates to suit different radius and height of given compressor wheel and housings. The cost for this service is $50

onmill.jpg

backplate.jpg

compwheel.jpg

This is a compressor wheel re-bore and re-size service. Our tolerance to perform this operation is under half a thou (1/80 of a mm). This service is perticular useful when people wish to mix and match compressor wheels in between different turbocharger manufactures. Ie. GTX Comp to TD06 Turbine.

The cost to re-bore is $50 and cost to re-size is $50 Per phase (Can be taken from top or top and bottom depending on the length of the turbine shaft and bearing housing used.

gauge.jpg

bore.jpg

skim.jpg

• Upvote 1

One more dyno reading to update. This is from my GTiR using an ATR28SS15 .86 turbocharger. Even they are all called SR20dets, the GTIR's engine behavior is quite different to S Chassis. And it works better with slightly laggy turbos. Car made 224awkws P98 fuel, using usual FMIC, 650cc injectors, adaptronic ecu, 3inches exhaust and intake, tuned at Etuners by Chihan. 224awkws out of this tinny car feels very quick on road.

gtirondyno.jpg

gtir224awkws.jpg

Team Lori's WTAC 2015 footage. car is running our ATR45SAT turbocharger on an SR20VET engine making 310awkws on E85 fuel on conservative track tune.

12106872_1480265145636602_2616371031248192275_n.jpg?oh=a881bc9aa3deee68f5d026ed103087e7&oe=56C45AD0

Hey boys,

S15 going into the workshop on Monday with a HyperGear ATR28SS2 going in. Mods going along with the turbo are, external gate (turbo already modified by Tao), Tomei 740cc Injectors, Tomei valve springs and retainers , Tomei 256 PONCAMS, Z32 AFM, 3" metal intake, RAS. Car already is running the basics (EBC, FMIC, Full exhaust,etc.) Looking super forward to see how this turbo responds.

Will report back in 2 weeks when my car comes out of the shop.

-Jumunji

Edited by Jumunji

Hey boys,

S15 going into the workshop on Monday with a HyperGear ATR28SS2 going in. Mods going along with the turbo are, external gate (turbo already modified by Tao), Tomei 740cc Injectors, Tomei valve springs and retainers , Tomei 256 PONCAMS, Z32 AFM, 3" metal intake, RAS. Car already is running the basics (EBC, FMIC, Full exhaust,etc.) Looking super forward to see how this turbo responds.

-Jumunji

sensible cams, VCT intact, springs done.. solid combo mate!

Doing something similar to the other trak-life car, however we got a mad deal on a GTX2867 so that was installed instead of the Hypergear turbo that was planned..

The R33 still uses the SS2, but will be sending it back to Tao for a refresh with the latest 2015 wheel :)

• Upvote 2

Sounds like an awesome combo. Especially with the external gate. Good luck with it!

• Upvote 1

Just put an older ATR28G2 Prototype in the s14a last week. Can definitely feel the power gain, however car craps itself when it hits 14psi (think the stock actuator is 1bar on it), so wont be pushing it too hard until I get it tuned. Hopefully this will be next month, but still have something other stuff going on. I am loving the sound of the turbo induction spool and unspooling through the exhaust, gives it more of a jet sound.

Car currently has Greddy metal intake, front mount, full dump (bell mouth) back exhaust with hi flow cat and rear muffler and nistune (untuned), Next stage is to have my mechanic put in the HFM 264 "drop in" cams (retaining VCT), which I know a few people are interested to see how they perform. Then after that, take the car to the tuners and have them put the 650cc injectors and Z32 AFM.

Just put an older ATR28G2 Prototype in the s14a last week. Can definitely feel the power gain, however car craps itself when it hits 14psi (think the stock actuator is 1bar on it), so wont be pushing it too hard until I get it tuned. Hopefully this will be next month, but still have something other stuff going on. I am loving the sound of the turbo induction spool and unspooling through the exhaust, gives it more of a jet sound.

Car currently has Greddy metal intake, front mount, full dump (bell mouth) back exhaust with hi flow cat and rear muffler and nistune (untuned), Next stage is to have my mechanic put in the HFM 264 "drop in" cams (retaining VCT), which I know a few people are interested to see how they perform. Then after that, take the car to the tuners and have them put the 650cc injectors and Z32 AFM.

wound advise against the HFM cams, PM Wizard on this forum for photos and details.

Also get bigger injectors, something like Nismo 740cc are perfect or convert to top feed stainless steel ones.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll PM him shortly.

Also shouldn't 650's be fine for 240-250kw~? Oh and car has also got a Walbro 255.

Edited by Goliath101

Hey boys,

-Jumunji

Nice, who's tuning it?

Thanks for the heads up. I'll PM him shortly.

Also shouldn't 650's be fine for 240-250kw~? Oh and car has also got a Walbro 255.

those 650cc injectors sound like some bench grinder and centre punch job.. I would advise to either go to top feeds OR Nismo 740cc injectors and steer clear of those "JECS" injectors that some how magically shit out unicorn juice with more flow.

Thanks for all the positive feedback boys looking VERY forward to getting the back car and posting up pics. Anthony from DAHTONE Racing (Build shop of the famous FUARKK S14) will be doing the install/custom fab work, and Micks motorsport will be tuning it for me :).

On a side note Johnnilicte, the dyno database section on trak-life isn't working, tried on Linux and Windows based systems :(.

Edited by Jumunji

On a side note Johnnilicte, the dyno database section on trak-life isn't working, tried on Linux and Windows based systems :(.

thanks man!

each time we update WP it goes down :(

Got the car back from the workshop, I'll give my honestly opinions on the Turbo. (ATR28SS2)

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND, I've never driven a silvia with a turbo bigger than the standard T28.

The car made 260rwkw (see earlier post for mod list), low down the car have been pretty greatly effected, full boost (20psi, external gate) is achieve only by 4200RPM, anything below ~3400rpm the car seems to be sleeping.

I'd love to hear your guys comments, I had a look at the turbo database and see that most upgraded turbos spool around the 4000RPM range. Maybe I'm just not used to driving a bigger turbo and this is how it is, but I do miss putting my foot down and having full boost in no time with the little. t28 no matter where in the revs I was.

All that being said 260kw is a fun amount of power and it definitely pulls hard, just have to be high in the revs or wait until ~4200RPM until it really gets going.

-Jumunji

Edited by Jumunji

Yea mate still running VCT. Had a look at dyno sheets on the website and this seems to be when most peoples ss2's spool by

Edited by Jumunji

You could get the AFRs richer and run lower timing as it spools so it comes on earlier.

You're running sensible cams, perhaps get an adjustable exhaust cam gear and retard the exhaust cam by 2 degrees at a time and see if it gets the turbo waking up earlier.

Edited by Johnnilicte

What you're experiencing is fairly common, but most people are in denial about how shit it is. 260kw isn't worth that lag. Just check you haven't got any boost leaks.

My s14 SS2 turbo spools 20spi at roughly 3800

only 200 away from 4000rpm, you might think you wont be able to tell the difference in real life but i would say your wrong. My mates s15 gtx2867r full boost 20psi at 4000rpm and its what i would consider too laggy for race wars

My s14 SS2 turbo spools 20spi at roughly 3800

only 200 away from 4000rpm, you might think you wont be able to tell the difference in real life but i would say your wrong. My mates s15 gtx2867r full boost 20psi at 4000rpm and its what i would consider too laggy for race wars

get ready for 30th May.. there will be real race wars :)

my ss2 hits full boost round 4400-4500 or touch higher non vct makes 298 kw but hoping e85 will help a little and external gate on smaller custom housing

Cams and cam gear setting has a lot to do with when full boost hits aswell

My old 180sx with ss2 had full boost with non VCt sr20 and poncams by 3800rpm 25psi but I decided to try adjustable cam gears with the poncams and it made it worse

With settings at +4•adv in and -2•ret exhaust

If made fullboost by 4500rpm 25psi but still same peak 282kw

So poncams are best set at 0• as they are out of the box but with large step 2 cams you may benifit with cam gears

Also I've seen cars with larger cams shift the powerband to the right so they make small turbos seem more laggy

Cams and cam gear setting has a lot to do with when full boost hits aswell

My old 180sx with ss2 had full boost with non VCt sr20 and poncams by 3800rpm 25psi but I decided to try adjustable cam gears with the poncams and it made it worse

With settings at +4•adv in and -2•ret exhaust

If made fullboost by 4500rpm 25psi but still same peak 282kw

So poncams are best set at 0• as they are out of the box but with large step 2 cams you may benifit with cam gears

Also I've seen cars with larger cams shift the powerband to the right so they make small turbos seem more laggy

very good to know, I was thinking about trying adjustable gears aswell but I'll put the money elsewhere.

Updated on the ATR28SS15 result now in .64 rear (earlier one was in .86). Based on my GTiR. Rebuilt engine with stock cams. running 22psi on P98 fuel. Car made 220kws on all four, that should work out to be the 234rwkws region on an Silvia with similar mods. Car has:

CP Pistons

ID1000 injectors

Adaptronic ecu

JJR 600x270x76mm FMIC

AEM SS 3 inches turbo back exhaust

ATR28SS15 turbo

3 iches induction pipe

Tuned at Etuners.

Drives like my S14 on steroid. Very fast for not much of power. Nissan should have made a modern version of this.

power.jpg

carondyno2.jpg

The new pulsar is turbo but only fwd

Nice results I'm not too shore how the driveline and gearbox will handle that power as the gtir is a old car

So, after quite a few issues with the car, I finally received it back with its' 98Ron tune. Car is as follows.

2000 S15 ADM

170,000km on the clock

ATR28SS2 with 3inch intake

Z32 AFM

Poncams with RAS and VCT still in place

1,000cc Injectors on BPP Top Feed Rail with FPR

Walbro E85 fuel pump

FMIC with custom intake

3" Exhaust

Now, I read a HEAP of positive responses about HyperGear Turbo's, especially the SS2 and was recommended to get the SS2 hands down. To be fair, I agree with the thoughts and opinions of Juminji. Only downside, I am nowhere NEAR what always seems to be greatly inflated dyno figures from the eastern states.

Car came in at 309rwhp/227rwkw at 19PSI. This is on a roller dyno, not a hub dyno. Full boost not until 4,200-4,300. Granted, once it is on boost it is alright, but very lacklustre. For those wondering if the tune was done by a good tuning shop in W.A, yes. The guy who tuned it just set a new lap record for his class around Barbagallo raceway (59 seconds) with his 180 which he has built and tuned himself.

I forgot to grab dyno sheets when I was there last night grabbing the car, but have requested them be emailed to me so I can have a closer look. Next thing on the list is to finish the E85 tune (hence the injector size) as the car is also running flex fuel sensor with Nistune. As I hadn't had the car for 4 weeks, I needed it back so couldn't complete the Flex tune unfortunately. Have booked it in for May to get that done.

*EDIT* Dyno Graph attached

S15 Dyno.jpg

Edited by Mr_Boof
  • Upvote 1

Be good if we could get a screen grab of your timing map.. but I do find SR20s like low timing coming onto boost. Gets it to boogey earlier

That's beat up man. Not sure if the problem lies with the turbo, but I think it's been said a few times now, you can't go past gtx28xx on an sr with stock manifold. Bang for buck, it is unbeatable, an reliable!