Sign in to follow this  
soloo200

Ls coils

i did a pile of research on this a while ago and arrived at LS2/truck coil (AC Delco D585) was the weapon of choice

there are a few threads around, this is also an interesting read

http://www.megamanua...m/seq/coils.htm

and this

http://forums.nicocl...ap-t478565.html

keep an eye out for the coil with the heatsink on the top.

in the end i decided against it as i'll probably run up to 20lb boost which will be fine with standard coils

+1

I have witnessed it on the dyno on enough occasions to call it conclusive ,

I have swapped out splitfires with ls2 units and the vehicle was transformed , it was easier to start, it made more power, the mixtures changed coz it was now burning complete instead false AFR readings caused by incomplete burn Which could easily lead to engine failur, at the end of the day our Wide band is the most important tool and it governs the whole tuning process if that's not right then we might as well go back to carbies, jets and spark plug color to set mixtures.

just to put it to perspective the genuine ls2 truck coils or yukon coils have 100 mj that pretty impressive , this is the only coil pack with that much power not running (CDI) 400v-500v of Capacitor discharge through a coil.

I wouldn't doubt that guys are running 1.1 gaps with ls2 coils , but you dont need to run those big gaps , in fact Wayne from M&W always suggests to run 0.5mm -0.6mm with highly modified engines with very high Cylinder pressures, your spark has to work against this resistance but the cylinder pressure resistance can't be avoided,

you don't want to introduce more avoidable unnecessary resistance where the coil would have to work harder and thus creating large amounts of unnecessary electrical noise ??? which could cause testicle cancer :o

You want to run the gap as big as you reasonably can to get complete combustion. If you're not getting misfire then gap is fine. There really isn't any downside to running a large gap (within reasonable bounds, obviously).

Also, saying that LS2's destroyed splitfires isn't really saying anything about the LS2 coils; splitfires are well known to be total junk. They appear to be resealed secondhand stock coils in most cases or maybe remanufactured items with epoxy on them.

Why not run Mercury Marine IGN-1A coils, that shit on the LS ones in every way?

http://www.lms-efi.c...uct_detail&p=46

must be run with a cdi box they are not an inductive coil ,

they are a awsome coil pack and a very reliable coil that's why the use them on marine engines , also ideal for off road and rally vehicles exposed to muddy, wet, harsh conditions

you wouldn't wana be out in the middle of the ocean running R34 N/A coils that's for sure

Correct, they are great coils, but no, they dont need a CDI module. The IGN-1A is infact, an inductive coil.

What i really like about these is 115mJ can be produced at a low charge time of 3ms. Commonly used on rotaries at 4.5ms in a wastespark setup with amazing spark! (better output than a LS truck coil at 6ms.)

Edited by -StaTiK-

Yeah I'd say the IGN-1A's are one of the best coils around.... 103mJ of spark actually... and I just read... 19A peak current draw :o insane.

They're pretty expensive though. $65ish per coil

Tis true, the LS coil is cheaper over here. The IGN-1A are much more embraced by the rotary scene due to the short dwell required at high RPM in a waste spark setup i guess... 2stroke coils + rotary seems like a good match..... (even though there really is no difference, piston/rotary wise...)

sorry, 115mJ at 4.5ms charge has been measured.

Edited by -StaTiK-