Sign in to follow this  
JDMDaniel

Haltech vs Power FC vs Nistune

Consider a link g4. Much better ecu in terms of features and tunability when compared to the rest

Yep done that mate. I'm after a haltech. Can someone please help with my question?

Apparently the tuning software is better for the haltech which makes for a quicker tune. I've found tuners that do both but prefer the haltech for the Aussie support. I was leaning towards the link before but the haltech wideband unit is on sale this month only so I think it's time for a quick decision.

Edited by davlos

Can't generalise saying haltech has better and quicker tuning software lol from what my tuner said the link is way quicker, easier and better than haltech, just like Simon mentioned above too, but go for the haltech if you're so convinced

I sat down with a tuner last week who does both. I really did like the convenience of the link, he says he can do both but the link software is harder to navigate. Maybe it's just what he prefers (which supports the argument to go with the tuners recommendation).

I'm starting to get the feeling that at the end of the day they all do the same thing.. I'd happily buy a link, I do like the fact they fit the factory enclosure.

I want a wideband too for closed loop lambda control but there's not much discussion of which one to run? It seems the innovate lc1 is a POS but now they have lc2 and I'm not sure if this is any improvement on reliability. I've heard good things about the ngk afx but I really have no experience with any of this.

So that's why the haltech sounded like a good idea, being an all in one solution.. I know link and haltech are a step up from nistune, I have my fuel system all e85 ready so I'd be stupid to go the nistune. I'm not 100% convinced either way but if I'm going to go haltech I'll save a few hundred with their December special... Sorry for the wordy ramble.. It's an expensive item so it's important to get the right one..

the link software really is a piece of piss to navigate... sounds like your tuner doesnt like stepping outside of his comfort zone much. the links provide so many more features and the ability to create many tables for many functions. i have had both the Haltech P1000 and the Link g4 plus extreme and the link wins hands down.. at the end of the day its the little things, ease of usability, features and support that set it apart.

Dont get me wrong, the haltech did 90% of what i wanted to do flawlessly, and they really do work well. but theres a lot of limitations also.

I think they're both totally overpriced for what they provide.

There are heaps of wideband units out there... you don't need the gauge so you have a huge number of options... I like http://wbo2.com/

I'd like to know if any one can help out

Can I run a nistune in a old school car ca18 in a 1200 ute

Will I be able to run just the engine loom side or is there more sensors to do with the whole s13 ill need to run

Cheers guys

Easy stuff, anything like my old bluebird it's just feed engine loom through firewall, connect ecu and then splice in ignition/fuel pump etc.

Nisstune will be no problems.

CA18 will just need the knock sensor wiring modified as it runs a silly way.

I'm just wondering a few things peeps, how versatile is the nistune I do know that a standalone ecu is probley the best scenario. However how far can a nistune be pushed I mean will it handle things such as cam upgrades etc. im looking at running 350 rwhp with a to4 will the nistune suit.im hoping to run a nistune as I can retain a lot of standard flexibility easy to get sensors etc. plus some other things draws me to it oh btw im talking about a ca18det combo.

Sure will! I was running cams injectors and bigger turbo. If it wasnt for a tired motor I would have made over 350hp. I've seen type 3 nistune boards run id1000 injectors

Nistune will easily do 2200cc Bosch injectors. Have tuned a mates 180sx with the above and it sits right on low 15s afr (ideal for idle) and cruise.

So i think this confirms my point raised in the first post. One month and 72 replies later and people are still as divided on what they prefer. I am beginning to agree that i think there is no "best". Its just what ever will suit YOUR needs for YOUR build in YOUR car. I don't think it would be helpful to generalize. I mean, someone running 200Kw atw without any cams, or injector upgrades or anything could run a Haltech because its considered the "better" system but why? It wouldn't be needed.

I think if a factory ecu can be tuned to suit it should be used but only if its suitable to the car combo etc

Look at the ls1 guys

I think if a factory ecu can be tuned to suit it should be used but only if its suitable to the car combo etc

Look at the ls1 guys

Essentially Nistune IS a factory ECU.

in regards to additional sensors onto Nistune, no.. will only use the stock sensors.. i.e. no wide band o2 feedback, no flex fuel sensor, no external map sensor.. etc...

HOWEVER, it will do anything you tell it to do...

Just one downside, with E85 when you leave the O2 feedback on and you want to a achieve a leaner cruise say 15+ (converted from lambda to gasoline reading for simplicity) the ECU will try to bring it back to stoich 1 lambda / 14.7 converted to gasoline reading / 9.76 E85..

if that's the case, o2 feedback must be disabled in order to achieve the desired AFR.

Just my 2 cents.

and yes idiots that have stock turbos/cams/injectors, etc.. and spend 3K on a haltech & tune says it's mad and runs awesome are morons. Pointless, just get a nistune done.

yea I reckon hey to be honest in my rotor you need a non oe ece, but yea im thinking nistune is the way to go

It doesn't go into limp mode at all. It goes to a knock map (which is tuneable btw) that adds extra fuel and takes out timing.

not above 4000 rpm and even bellow 4000 rpm how accurate is it at detecting knock,

Doesn't matter how sophisticated a knock control is, it can always be fooled with vibration/noise at the same frequency and with all those noises in the engine bay of a 20 years old car with rattling timing chains, sprockets, leaky gaskets, screamer pipes and other mods

I know i wouldn't want timing pulled out of a performance or track car while while trying to use it for what it was intended for ---> performance

I'm happy to tune both nistune and apexi fc , i have used a apexi fc in my own lancer evo 3 and it controlled idle with 280 bc cams reasonably well for a stepper motor, now running the motec M400 and it's almost impossible to get the P.I.D numbers correct when its starts to go into a hunt it just snow balls into a huge hunt , took me f**king ages to get sort respectable. but the motec can control my 2 stage nitrous , launch and many other requiements

with the power fc i would just punch 1100 rpm and it would chase that rpm and for big cams it was consistent

I'm a big fan of nistune i've even used them on mitsubishi engines with great success Matt Brown has done an awesome job with the development of this product

If your choosing an ecu because it has knock control then it might be time to find a new tuner

i would say knock control is a great safety feature for a road car but mot suitable for a track car

It doesn't go into limp mode at all. It goes to a knock map (which is tuneable btw) that adds extra fuel and takes out timing.

not above 4000 rpm and even bellow 4000 rpm how accurate is it at detecting knock,

Doesn't matter how sophisticated a knock control is, it can always be fooled with vibration/noise at the same frequency and with all those noises in the engine bay of a 20 years old car with rattling timing chains, sprockets, leaky gaskets, screamer pipes and other mods

I know i wouldn't want timing pulled out of a performance or track car while while trying to use it for what it was intended for ---> performance

I'm happy to tune both nistune and apexi fc , i have used a apexi fc in my own lancer evo 3 and it controlled idle with 280 bc cams reasonably well for a stepper motor, now running the motec M400 and it's almost impossible to get the P.I.D numbers correct when its starts to go into a hunt it just snow balls into a huge hunt , took me f**king ages to get sort respectable. but the motec can control my 2 stage nitrous , launch and many other requiements

with the power fc i would just punch 1100 rpm and it would chase that rpm and for big cams it was consistent

I'm a big fan of nistune i've even used them on mitsubishi engines with great success Matt Brown has done an awesome job with the development of this product

If your choosing an ecu because it has knock control then it might be time to find a new tuner

i would say knock control is a great safety feature for a road car but mot suitable for a track car

You could use the knock map as a secondary map for whatever you wanted though could you not? Ie trick the ecu into thinking it has knock to switch the map. I think if you were going for a purpose built track car you should be spending better money on an ECU anyway.

Nistune is about to get flex fuel support, launch control and fan control. Flex fuel is being tested today by nistune. Currently for s14a, but other models will follow soon.

^ Nistune ftw!

I like their interface - scales nicely on a laptop unlike other competitors, however would be better if it supported closed loop for widebands :)

Best feature to date with the software, wideband overlay on load points. Makes tuning child's play.

All these new features WHY NOT MAP SENSOR INSTEAD OF AFM?! f**k!

because need new inputs OR need a way to scale the AFM voltage..

EVO boys have managed to convert AFM to MAP using some crazy kit

because need new inputs OR need a way to scale the AFM voltage..

EVO boys have managed to convert AFM to MAP using some crazy kit

New inputs? What do you think a flex fuel sensor is lol. But I mean surely with all the effort going into being able to run a flex fuel sensor, it couldn't be that hard to change the table and code for AFM voltage to react to MAP voltage instead.

to be honest, I still prefer AFMs vs MAP.. it's still smoother on throttle pumps/transitions.

With MAP sensored ECU you need to adjust a predicted MAP table, i.e. a static reference table when you jab the throttle (as the map sensor needs time to react, and ecu to react). Where as AFM is just more air in less air in.

However, if you've played around enough with the predicted map table it usually is pretty spot on.

Just one thing, ever noticed non budget cars all run AFMs? and all shit boxes like 1.5 lancers, and gaydas I mean Hondas run MAPs? Most if not all turbo charged cars from factory run AFMs (I'm referring to japanese cars only)

MAP sensing would require repurposing the AFM tables/calcs etc and using a spare input for IAT sensor. I'm sure he'll do it eventually, but he's been adding support for new features rather than converting existing features to different methods.

As it stands some of the new features are, Thermo fan control with 4 different tables (each with on-off temps) which can be used for 4 different fans, speeds, temp ranges/whatever you need has been implemented for a few models. Launch control exists for s13s and is being added to more models. Flex fuel is just about here. These have stopped me going to a standalone setup.

I must be blind, is there no talk of this on the Nistune forum ?

There's the launch control thread and the knock sensing thread, didn't see a flex fuel thread, or is this all behind the scenes stuff ?

I have a blacktop 180sx and got quoted a "drive in, drive out package" $1400 for nistune supply + install + dyno tune. Ive seen rough estimates on the forums before, ranging around $800-$1000 max. So $1400 sounds like its wayyy too expensive to me. Is that how much it should cost or is that overpriced? How much did u guys get your nistune for? And where at? (Sorry for hijacking thread. But its somewhat related lol)