Sign in to follow this  
ColS15

Ve oil pump on s15 block?

Hi all,

Is there any problem running a ve oil pump on a s15 engine?. I know there is a bolt hole at the top of the front cover that does not line up but is everything else the same?

Crank shaft pully won't clear the oil pump/timing chain cover

I don't think a ve oil pump is worth it unless your using a ve head

Thanx for the reply.

The timing marker on the front cover is not in the correct position.

I didn't think the harm-balancer would fit. I spent a bit of time looking at what would/wouldn't fit as I had already begun fitting the pump/cover before I noticed it is the wrong one.

The problem is the cover has already been machined with the block, i'll just have to ring the company I purchased it through tomorrow. I checked the invoice and I've ordered the right pump, they've just sent out the wrong one.

Taarks sells the oil pump collar you need ($32). You'll need to machine 4mm off the back of the RWD pulley and you also need purchase an offset timing pin from Taarks ($35). The tube on the VE oil pickup is also thicker and sits in a different position to the RWD ones

Thanx for the info nick.

I spoke with the company involved and they said their happy to swap the pump for the correct one.

I'll take the correct pump and short motor to the machinist to see if they can machine the pump down to the correct hight (better to be a bit lower than sitting proud of the block). If they say its too risky to do i'll have to pull the motor down again.

I wouldn't say it's any better to have it sitting lower than the block. Seen many a sr have an oil pump changed on car without head off, plenty of goo, plenty of leaks still.

Thanx for the info nick.

I spoke with the company involved and they said their happy to swap the pump for the correct one.

I'll take the correct pump and short motor to the machinist to see if they can machine the pump down to the correct hight (better to be a bit lower than sitting proud of the block). If they say its too risky to do i'll have to pull the motor down again.

if the oil pump is lower then the engine block u risk a chance of cracking the timing chain cover of the oil pump when u tighten the top two 10mm bolts ive seen this happen first hand

So in reality if I weight up the cost of trying to machine the pump/front cover correctly I may have spent the same amount as purchasing the parts to fit the ve pump. Also if the pump isn't machined equil to the deck height i may have a leaking head gasket or risk pump damage during install.

What modification to the oil strainer/pickup is required to fit the ve pump? do I need to fabricate a whole new pickup?

The bolt hole at the top of the ve pump that does not line up with the block, do you just leave it blank? or tap a thread into it?

its not hard for them to machine the oil pump onto another block once they know the height, simply bolt the new pump onto the motor you want to use, measure the height difference and thats how much they need to take off then give it to your machinist and tell them they have to machine this much off it and should be fine if you get all your measurments correct.

There is 2 machine shops in the area I'm in and neither of them want to do the job of decking the cover.

The replacement s15 pump I have been sent is faulty, no fault of the company who sent it as it looks to be a manufacturing fault with the cover casting.

Is there a company who sells the oil pump pick up for ve conversions?

no

u modify it yourself because its really easy to do

There is 2 machine shops in the area I'm in and neither of them want to do the job of decking the cover.

The replacement s15 pump I have been sent is faulty, no fault of the company who sent it as it looks to be a manufacturing fault with the cover casting.

Mazworx in the US make one. But it's expensive.

i dunno why on earth u would buy one from mazworx when its so easy to make your self

any idiot with a grinder and a welder can do it

I'm just enquiring to see if anyone does sell one. If they were cost effective to purchase then it wouldn't be worth the time/labour to make.

Thanx for the info, I will fab one up myself.

I'm just enquiring to see if anyone does sell one. If they were cost effective to purchase then it wouldn't be worth the time/labour to make.

Thanx for the info, I will fab one up myself.

U will need both ve and det oil pick up to do it