Sign in to follow this  
neil_se

Michelin Slicks

Has anyone tried the used 24/64-18 Michelin Porsche Cup slicks available on Ebay/Gumtree for $80-100 ea, for sprints or short circuit racing? If I had a set of 18s already I'd just give them a go but I don't want to go spending dosh on new rims if it's not going to be worth it.

Not used 2nd hand slicks but have used 2nd hand semis.

Like any 2nd hand race tyre have to be sure they are not well past it. Generally if they are not that old, have been stored correctly, have some tread left and have not done aot of sessions or days then they should be ok.

Might be worth asking on SAU as i recall some guys using 2nd hand slicks.

neil bro :D come to the outlaws round at QR this weekend and talk to Tony Saint in the FC.. he runs em

Cool, I'll see if I can make it down for a bit.

My thoughts are that I don't think I could afford to do 20+ sprint/circuit days next year on new semis. My current NT01s have lasted 2 years but I need something stickier to make the most of my car. I have to run treaded tyres for street sprints (thinking Hankook Z221 softs), but could use slicks when I'm running Sports Sedans.

How far did you go in anger on the NT01s?

Did you wear them down to just the two lines and did they remain grippy?

2 years is impressive... Not sure if mine see as much action as yours though.

Please let us know what you discover about the slicks. Hard to ignore the price!

Edited by tinto

My NT01s are almost baby smooth and have held together well but it's time for something stickier!