Sign in to follow this  
-SYK-

Slowing Leather Degradation (steering wheel)

So like my last sil, the leather on the steering wheel is starting to speckle/peel off.

Currently it's not looking too bad, however i know that given a bit more time, it will start eating through the leather and into the padding, becoming a daily eyesore for me.

I'm wondering is it possible to coat the leather with something like nail varnish/clear-coat paint, thus halting the degradation. Has anyone done this? can you forsee any problems (inconsistent friction on wheel, hi-reflection from sunlight)? any other alternatives to fixing this problem WITHOUT reupholstering the wheel?

Thanks in advance.

Some proper leather conditioner like GeWy leather treatment or leather lounge conditioner could help it but once it's on it's way through the tough outer skin it's not long until it's in the rubbish or your giving it to the trimmers for a re skin.

not sure if it'll help, but back in my basketball days i got this spray from footlocker which was for preserving the leather in my basketball shoes...... don't think it was that expensive, could work?

sorry for stealing the thread, but how much would it cost to retrim the steering wheel? recommendations in sydney? cheers

^ It cost me about $400 to have the leather steering wheel in my 180 recovered. Variables will be quality of the leather and skill of the upholsterer. generally you get what you pay for. I'm happy with the way mine turned out, still looks new after 4 years. I use Meguiars Leather conditioner on it every few months.

Interesting thread. I bought a new shift knob because the leather was RS and have been looking at steering wheels on eBay. But all are either the same or worse than mine.

I lust after finding a Nissan Momo steering wheel on eBay, but failing that would be interested in a re-skin and touch-up of the silver bits of my one.

The previous owner had put something on to hide the scuff marks in the steering wheel. It left a strange smell on my hands. So armed with some leather cleaner and conditioner I went to work on the wheel. When finished with the cleaner all of the bare patches had been revealed, and my cleaning cloths were all black from that sh*t. So if you go for a colour make sure to use something high quality like what "junkie" posted or don't bother.

Edit: This looks interesting http://planetsoarer.com/leather/index.htm will send him an email to see if he can cover Silvia wheels.

Edited by stockblues15