Sign in to follow this  
macca w18

Flex Plates ?

I'm doing a manual to C4 swap and need an auto Flex plate for my SR20det red top.

I have managed to find an SR20DE one (Nisswreck Lonsdale) but the question is

"Is it the same as a turbo one ? will it fit?

There asking $120 - never bought one before, is that around the mark?

Normally people pull out there autos and bin them, is there anyone in Adelaide or SA that has one going cheap?

Any help appreciated

Cheers

Paul

:lol: $120... i paid $80 for a manual flywheel... there should be plenty kicking around.

Yeah, look around for people doing auto>manual swaps.

Flex plates normally get thrown out.

+1 keep searching

nisswreck are a waste of time and money fyi

Never Buy From Nisswreck

They charge more for an item than a workshop would charge to supply and fit themselves

ludicrous!

Never Buy From Nisswreck

They charge more for an item than a workshop would charge to supply and fit themselves

ludicrous!

Where's a good place to go? A few months back I rang Grand Auto wreckers in Lonsdale for a rear control arm and they wanted $500 ??? for one bare arm?

Hence I havn't bothered to ring them. Is there anyone else in Adelaide reasonable?

Never Buy From Nisswreck

ludicrous!

Where's a good place to go? A few months back I rang Grand Auto wreckers in Lonsdale for a rear control arm and they wanted $500 ??? for one bare arm?

Hence I havn't bothered to ring them. Is there anyone else in Adelaide reasonable?

Honestly mate the wreckers in adelaide charge what they want for a part. There's no really competitive prices because they are all in their different areas in adelaide.

Probably best searching eBay and gumtree for a private sale.

Never Buy From Nisswreck

ludicrous!

JapaneseImportSpares.com.au

Never Buy From Nisswreck

ludicrous!

JapaneseImportSpares.com.au

Cheers for that, just rang him - unfortunately he didn't have any.

you would have to find one specific to the converter / transmission and engine. no point buying an sr20 one if you're going to run a different converter to an sr20 one - bolt patterns may be different as would input shaft size and spline count.

i would either be talking to a good workshop thats done these types of conversions before or a good transmission place.

I've bought from the Wingfield Nisswreak before and haven't really had any issues with them. All import wreckers are expensive in Adelaide but I've found them to be the cheapest and they have done some good deals for me. Make sure you do your research before you buy or you will get ripped off like I have before. I bought a T28 from the Wingfield Nissmaz without doing research prior for $500 and then realized its not even ball bearing. FML!!!

' timestamp='1382266726' post='6837930']

you would have to find one specific to the converter / transmission and engine. no point buying an sr20 one if you're going to run a different converter to an sr20 one - bolt patterns may be different as would input shaft size and spline count.

i would either be talking to a good workshop thats done these types of conversions before or a good transmission place.

I've got Norwood Automatics building me a customized torque convertor.

I just need a plain old SR20 Flexplate?

It looks like $120 is what I'm going to have to pay, does anyone know of there is any difference between NA and turbo ones?

Im not sure how much power you are making but beware myself and 3 other mates are running the same setup and have had some serious problems with stock flex plates cracking around the converter bolt holes. I got a custom one made by a company called magnum performance in mebourne, he rated it to 1000hp and it ripped to pieces at just over 600hpatw so beware of them aswell.

' timestamp='1382266726' post='6837930']

I've got Norwood Automatics building me a customized torque convertor.

I just need a plain old SR20 Flexplate?

It looks like $120 is what I'm going to have to pay, does anyone know of there is any difference between NA and turbo ones?

Have you asked them to make sure its the same bolt pattern as the sr20 one?

that is why he is getting the converter made to suit.

that way it suits both the auto and the flexplate

danjor: does the centre spigot of the converter locate fairly snug in the crank?

I think they get a sr20 convertor and a c4 convertor and splice them together? or similar?

I'm not an expert on this by any means, the guy I spoke to at Norwood Automatics was extremely

good to deal with, very knowledgable, (unlike another large transmission place I rang in Adelaide - who said

I was wasting my time and should do up a silvia auto box - I think he thought I was half my age and talking out my bum??)

Anyway, I havn't ordered the torque convertor yet as Norwood Autos needs to know the space between

the flexplate and the block? Hence I need a flex plate?

Ive seen a few datto utes using C4's in drag cars, and they seem to cope pretty well with the insane HP some of these are putting out.

Combined with a good stall and possibly launch control (running wolf3d) I hope to get off the line quick.

I've swapped gearboxes between NA and turbo and clutches and stuff line up perfectly, which would make me think the NA flex plate

should fit the turbo engine? but it always pays to check around first.

doubt they would splicethem together as they more than likely be different sizes, they would use a c4 converter and add different legs and spigot.

doubt they would splicethem together as they more than likely be different sizes, they would use a c4 converter and add different legs and spigot.

That does sound easier ? Lol !

danjor: does the centre spigot of the converter locate fairly snug in the crank?

Yeh mate got a custom converter made by the converter shop up here in brisbane, Fits perfectly into the spigot but im killing them when i use the transbrake...

All good, managed to get one out of Sydney, all up posted for $50 (good old Gumtree!)