Sign in to follow this  
Fried Ricer

s13 sr20de auto to manual vs. repair auto

Ok so I know this has been done to death, and im not asking for another guide, already done a search and found a few good ones. All I need is some more specific opinions.

So my sr20de s13 transmission finally died today, something ive more or less expected over the last 2 years.

Pretty sure it was the torque converter seal, absolutely dumped its fluid all over the road from the bellhousing and lost all transfer of power from the engine to the wheels.

From research ive done it looks like this repair ballparks in the $1300 region. So naturally this resparked the idea of converting to manual for me like just about everyone has seemed to consider at one point or another.

My only hesitation is that I was already planning an upgrade in a year or so and didn't really want to spend the money/time if I didnt have to.

So my real qurstions are: what do you guys think would be the best option/ price difference?

Also curious who our there has a conversion kit spare and how much?

Also anyone who can possibly do it for me and costs involved ? (Not afraid or opposed to giving it a go myself but would rather know it was done right if possible)

I should add im in vic aswell i spose.

Ty!

S13 auto gearboxes can usually be picked up dirt cheap, as nobody wants them. I remember a time when people literally couldn't give them away.

Personally, I'd just find a cheap auto box, install it, then putt around town until you upgrade in a year.

Edited by pmod

If you pay over $50 for a autobox you are getting ripped off

Straight swap would go pretty easy I spose....

Anyone got an sr20 auto box around melbourne? ??

Straight swap would go pretty easy I spose....

Anyone got an sr20 auto box around melbourne? ??

Yeah, swap it out and then save for a manual conversion. Best option.

Do it once, do it right.

Yeah, well when I said upgrade I ment full tranny, engine swap. Hence why I wasn't keen on manual yet really. Would go to waste...

Inbox me, i just bought a full manual conversion kit, waiting to be done in the next 2 weeks. I could just give the auto box to you if you really need it buddy :) But i could only give it to you after ive done the whole manual conversion which will be another 2 to 3 weeks later.

i sold my auto gearbox to sims metal for about $15.

i was over the moon.

though thats half the problem, so worthless no one keeps em or even bothers to advertise.

i threw my auto box out as the bands were gone but kept the converter until last week when i did another clean up - sorry man if you posted this literally 8 days earlier you could have had it.

haha damn you're all breaking my heart here! terrible timing by me.

wongyikhai, might take you up on that depending on if i can track one... ill pm you now. thanks heaps buddy

anyone else! if you've got one lying around now ill gladly save you the trouble of a scrap metal run haha?

When you upgrade your drive line what engine are you going? is it an sr20det if so just do the manual upgrade now and use the turbo box the just drop the turbo engine in it an conversion is already done

Nah It'll be a big step up when I upgrade, deregister and track. Probably either rb25 or something V8, either way, gearbox will need to step up then anyway I reckon

if your keeping it do the manual conversion, i just did it on my 180 and it was waaaay easier than i thought, only thing that gave me a bit of trouble was the pipes under the dash for the air con when i was fitting the pedals, but i got it done no prob, i am a mechanic though so that helped lol.. but i reckon you should give it a go, ..get a good clutch kit and get the flywheel machined if it needs it .. also are the ca18det autos the same? cos i have one i dont want

Definitely keen to give it a try, it's the cost more than anything. I'm a low budget uni student Atm so a 1200-1500 price tag scares me more than any of the mechanical work haha

Not sure, did some searching but can't find much, hit the same barrier of no one is the silvia world likes the autos so bits of info are few and far between.

Anyone know?

Definitely keen to give it a try, it's the cost more than anything. I'm a low budget uni student Atm so a 1200-1500 price tag scares me more than any of the mechanical work haha

Not sure, did some searching but can't find much, hit the same barrier of no one is the silvia world likes the autos so bits of info are few and far between.

Anyone know?

lol yeah fair enough, might be worth just getting a second hand auto for now and when ya ready sell it and get an sr20det manual.. i got a feeling the ca auto wont fit but ill see if i can find out

Bump.

Can anyone tell me, replacing a torque converter gasket, is that worth trying? ive heard that its not really worth trying cause given that it already went there is probably damage to the torque converter and it would need to be replaced aswell?

also I know its sort of the wrong category for this, but car is still off road, and from what ive gathered most people just turf their auto trannys, not check if anyone needs. (cause besides me, who would haha)

Anyone got an auto tranny for an sr20/anyone know anyone with one/anyone got an s13 sr20de manual conversion kit lying around that they'd part with for a decent price?