Sign in to follow this  
JDMDaniel

S15 250Kw Turbo advice

So I'm just starting to build the engine of my 99 JDM Spec R and the aim is around 250 at the wheels. Anyone have advice on what turbo is best to run on a safe tune for this kind of out put? At the moment deciding between the GT28RS or the GT2871R. Other mods will be the usual: exhaust, PFC, Front mount, Intake, Cams...

It's true about the 2871r... it's awesome when you run high boost but if you are running low boost it's shit, and laggy in either case.

I have been there and if I had to do it again I would just aim for 200kw and have a more responsive turbo - lag is shit.

It's true about the 2871r... it's awesome when you run high boost but if you are running low boost it's shit, and laggy in either case.

I have been there and if I had to do it again I would just aim for 200kw and have a more responsive turbo - lag is shit.

Yeah i really don't want lag, i want the most torque and responsiveness i could get. What kind of boost are we talking? 17 pound? So you ran the GT2871R and would go the disco potato?

alternate option which will cost you more is trust t518z. have been told/seen dyno graphs.. this has a big torque hit, is a bolt on turbo.. not too lagy & keeps pulling until redline..

Yeah i really don't want lag, i want the most torque and responsiveness i could get. What kind of boost are we talking? 17 pound? So you ran the GT2871R and would go the disco potato?

Yeah I had mine tuned for 18-21psi, it spiked up a bit. It's awesome but you can't really run that kinda boost everyday and expect your car to last. I haven't tried a disco sorry but the stock bbt28 is best for response. I would just put some drop in cams and be happy with that. Am thinking of going back to a stocker myself.

Get a Kando TD06 20g 8cm. Will make that power easy with pretty good response.

I made 270rwkw on 18psi with full boost at 3800rpm.

2871 is too laggy with anything under 18psi IMO.

for the amount of lag the 2871 has it doesnt have the power to make that lag worth while if u ask me

a full trim GT3071 will compare to about the same amount of lag but it packs a massive punch so it makes the lag worth it

Get a Kando TD06 20g 8cm. Will make that power easy with pretty good response.

I made 270rwkw on 18psi with full boost at 3800rpm.

2871 is too laggy with anything under 18psi IMO.

kando TD06 20g 8cm goes for under $1000? are they good, reliable turbos that last and can take a good beating now and again as the next turbo I upgrade to, Im planning to keep it on there and never touch it again. looking for similar results (250ish atw) I have the 2871r and i would love some more response.

Thanks heaps essonefive, i didn't even have a Precision 5130 in my list of turbos to choose from and now ill probably be getting one of those! Wish i found this earlier. Definitely should be a sticky in the Silvia section

Thanks heaps essonefive, i didn't even have a Precision 5130 in my list of turbos to choose from and now ill probably be getting one of those! Wish i found this earlier. Definitely should be a sticky in the Silvia section

also keep in mind the 5130 u get from precision and the 5130 u get from powertune and rotor master is different

a quick question about the gt3071r... article says: Significant power upgrade from factory. Largest low-mount option available for the SR20DET. How is the response on that over the 2871r??

Edited by bees14a

also keep in mind the 5130 u get from precision and the 5130 u get from powertune and rotor master is different

Care to elaborate the differences kemp?

Care to elaborate the differences kemp?

compressor housing is different

So looks like this is why this disco potato has such a reputation because of the lack of lag, anyone know what you can get out of the stock turbo (bt28) for the jap spec with all the supporting mods done? Btw SAFE tune, im not interested in boosting it off its head and blowing stuff up this is a daily for me so it needs to be mechanically sound

Edited by JDMDaniel

You could hit 210-220 with some light cams maybe.

If I had the insight from the begining I would have chosen the 3071 over what I have atm which is a 2871. Knowing the 3071 will have abit more power left in it if you want to go past 250 in future.

If I had the insight from the begining I would have chosen the 3071 over what I have atm which is a 2871. Knowing the 3071 will have abit more power left in it if you want to go past 250 in future.

Yeah i am thinking the same thing, whats the point of the 2871R if you can just run the 3071R which packs way more punch and the same lag, and also like you said the potential to expand in the future. Is it true that running a bigger turbo, with less boost to produce the same power as a smaller turbo running higher boost is better for the engine too?