Sign in to follow this  
Alex s13

S15 boost rising arfter putting on exhaust with a stock setup help

Hi I have a s15 that is completely stock and I have just put on a hurricane 3.5 exhaust it was originally boosting to .05 on the stock boost gauge and now it boost to just about +1 I don't have a boost controller and wondering if I should be worried about this

I wouldnt trust the stock gauge.

Boost increase is normal after changing exhaust as there are less restrictions, allowing for more spooling.

with standard wastegate i wouldn't worry. i can't imagine a case where car will boost beyond what the turbo/engine can handle (except maybe occasional spiking from clutch punishment)

if you're getting 1bar then just be aware of it when approaching summer to not drive like a madcunt/go tracking all day with standard cooling (IC/Rad).

I doubt it's doubled very much. I don't trust stock gauges , water , boost etc

I had a long reply but the site shit itself, but let's try again and I'll be briefer.

It wouldn't hurt to connect a simple manifold vac boost gauge to check, as suggested the oem fitted item may be not as accurate as originally intended.

I only saw a 1.5 psi rise after fitting a 3inch dump front and cat + 3.5 inch cat back, on my JDM model. I'm assuming yours is too as you've referenced the oem pillar gauge.

Our cars didn't get the restrictor to drop it to 7psi like the ADM models so the roughly 4.5psi gain you've achieved I believe merits looking into it a little more.

Also, start checking for split vac lines around not only the whole intake / turbo and waste gate area but also to the gauge control solenoid on the drivers side strut tower.

Also... Did you do a dump pipe aswell? It's possible the waste gate flap is fouling or seizing on it causing it to hold a higher boost pressure.

At lunch atm but will check in later and try offer more help

i remember with my 200sx, an exhaust and pod filter saw about 11psi i think. from 7?

and the free boost mod (restrictor as spoken of before) bumped it upto about 12-14 psi.

so assuming you dont have one, id say your about on the money... and yes completley normal.

as mentioned dont flog it around a race track for laps on a time. your little SMIC wont cope... heck it wont cope with any more than 3/4 back to back runs down the drag strip on a cold night...

you will notice when your SMIC becomes heat soaked. peformance dies off.. a bit..