Sign in to follow this  
Stilvia

SR20DET Crankcase Breather Removal

Just wondering if the SR20DET crankcase breather can be removed with the head on?

standardsr20det1.jpg

Dont think so, I remember a friend had to pull his head off to put it back on after he forgot to install it after machining

It can be done if you absolutely have to do it, although I wouldn't recommend it. I was in the same position as Steph's friend, except after fixing the 10th problem I was deep in cbf territory, and there was no f**king way I was taking that head off. Installation will requires mods to the tube and head, and although I haven't removed one with the head on, I see no reason why my directions wouldn't work given my experience with installing the tube.

The only way you'll get it out is by hammering it up as far as possible, carefully cutting the top off with an angle grinder and Dremel, hammering in the sidewall of the remaining tube using a screwdriver, then pull it out. To reinstall, cut the shaft of the new one short (but still enough to hold firm), bevel the edges with a grinder or file, use a Dremel to grind off the metal tabs on the head that protrude into the space (don't worry, they aren't structural), then pop it in place and hammer it down using a screwdriver. I've had zero problems with it to date (albeit, I've only run the car 200km or so), but I see no reason why I would. The nice thing is that once you've done this, you can remove and reinstall the tube with a few solid whacks.

Edited by pmod