Sign in to follow this  
ru55kj

Another eBay welder thread

I'm thinking to get myself this welder http://bit.ly/1dGud0d

Can anyone suggest why I shouldn't? I mean I understand that it's not gonna be a super awesome machine for $300. But to be honest I don't need to do any heavy duty work neither. I look at it as a toy that I can use to modify exhaust, intake pipe and other stainless work.

Also I do realize that I will also need to buy Aragon bottle and a mask as a minimum before I can start trying to weld....

its super basic but should be fine for what you want, you might out grow it fairly quickly depending on how much you use it and how you improve.

start with gasless mig, I think you'll find it won't get as much use as you expect and gas bottle rental isn't cheap when it's spread out over a year. for automotive stuff migs are useful, more so than tigs of a similar price. really anything under 850 in a tig is aids.

Edited by fyjosh

with gassless mig its cheap to practice and you can lay down some beads, if you can weld exhaust tube with it your doing orite

since we're on the topic what are the down falls of cheap ebay tigs other then it completely braking ?

lack of features. not sure I really agree with getting gasless mig, each to their own but its horrible welding and might put you off altogether. I haven't used my CIG mig since I got a nice tig. If youre serious about learning how to tig jump in and get one, just don't think its cheap and easy to learn to do it well.

Edited by R32GTRS

Start with stick. Can weld everything with a stick

Mig pro: you can get strong welds with no welding skill at all. cheap to buy and run.

con: looks like shit and isnt 'cool'

tig pro: looks cool and welds alloy, more versatile

con: price, gas and other consumables

you would need both mig and tig if you got serious with it

Since it seems like you have common sense I'm sure it'll be fine for what you want.

Obviously it wont be as awesome as an AC/DC machine with a foot pedal.

Another con is that welding parts in/onto your silvia would be difficult.

I've been looking into buying a cheap TIG and this is the unit I settled on (but probably wont buy just yet).

I reckon go for it!! And put some pics up of the welds you're doing with it ;)

Edited by KENut

lack of features. not sure I really agree with getting gasless mig, each to their own but its horrible welding and might put you off altogether. I haven't used my CIG mig since I got a nice tig. If youre serious about learning how to tig jump in and get one, just don't think its cheap and easy to learn to do it well.

more so get a gas/gasless mig, the gas mig welding is useful on car panel/body stuff.

if not just get a cheap tig like the above that u can write off if it isn't that good. watch a few tube videos and give it a go, also search up 'walking the cup" technique for tig videos

Just to update. I ended up buying slightly cheaper and a little less powerful version of the same machine. Same Rossi 3-in-1 welder.

Very happy with what I've got. Just two problems:

1) Gas regulator that is coming with it is useless as it doesn't have flow meter and you cannot even screw in onto the bottle.

2) Actual tig gun is slightly less popular than some other alternatives so in order to run gas lens you need to upgrade it(they are pretty cheap in ebay)

A very long way to go. I shouldn't have started with thin mild steel as it was taking me nowhere. Slightly thicker stainless was much easier

My first attempts(didn't have stainless filler rod - but probably it wouldn't help me anyway, just need to work more on technique):

1460301_10152451364453312_121058134_n.jpg

• Upvote 1

You can see the improvement in your welding all the way along.

Good stuff, keep at it.

Fusing is the easy part! Adding the filler is the tricky bit lol.

I just purchased a 'mishto' ac/dc tig. Haven't really got much steel at home currently to play with though. Bought a good BOC reg and bubble flow meter for it. The tig torch that it came with is junk so I will be upgrading that very soon. Will be adding some gktech brackets to 2 subframes tomorrwo so will report on how good the welder is after!

Edited by Protius
  • Upvote 1

Welded a new O2 sensor bung as previous one on this pipe was too small.

Mild steel is harder to weld especially when you have gaps to fill. I think I had to change tungstens like 10 times :)

I still think it came out better than previous bung....

BEFORE:

bg28.jpg

AFTER:

fjn3.jpg

Mild steel is harder to weld ? Compared to what? Mild is the easiest by far hah

Only tried stainless and mild steel. Thought stainless was much easier to see at least...

Just my impression...

So I had a biiiig day on sunday welding a set of gktech subframe brackets onto my mates s14 diff cradle. VERY happy with the welder for the money! The torch leaves a bit to be desired but overall for the price I can't complain. Will be upgrading the torch to something slightly better with a flexi end. The torch has odd fittings so can't get all the cool gas lenses and pyrex cups that I want to so that's the main 2 reasons I want to upgrade.

Started doing the subframe brackets on my own s14 cradle today, here is a couple of pics. Using 309 filler rod that is usually used for welding mild to stainless as I was too impatient to buy mild steel rods haha. I had been tig welding here and there on jobs at my last workplace so I'm not a COMPLETE noob.

1517392_10151815009241828_1959624415_n.jpg

1477348_10151815009346828_1192000001_n.jpg

• Upvote 1

Just to update. I ended up buying slightly cheaper and a little less powerful version of the same machine. Same Rossi 3-in-1 welder.

Very happy with what I've got. Just two problems:

1) Gas regulator that is coming with it is useless as it doesn't have flow meter and you cannot even screw in onto the bottle.

best way to measure gas flow s at the torch anyway , welding supplies stores sell these flow meters

peashooter.jpg