Sign in to follow this  
doubleea

Worth upgrading fuel pump?

So my fuel pump looks like it is on the way out, just wondering if it is worth getting the walbro upgrade, or trying to find a working oem one. Any opinion would be appreciated.

With a non turbo you would be fine with a replacement oem pump but I would upgrade to like a walbro 255. If you're are going to pull it all apart and buy a new pump why not pay a little more and get a better one.

I'd personally recommend high flow pump if you think you may mod going forwards. If it is to be a street only car, resold etc, note there is more in car noise but with rear seats etc it is only noticeable at ignition on, not with engine running.

I'd go with standard... all the aftermarket pumps I've head have been relatively noisy...

Really the only downside I've heard is noise, and that's not really an issue for me, I just want a pump I know I can rely on not to die pretty much. Walbro 255 the way to go on the way of aftermarket?

If you want the cheapest drop-in fuel pump, sure :P

But when I speak poorly of the walbro it's because; I've had one die, it was quite noisy, the price point is very low. The only "first step upgrade pump" that I know is "not going to die" anytime soon would be a Bosch pump. The best pump for a standard car is definitely standard. You're never going to need much fuel flow, even if you go with SR20DE+T.

When I think about it; the upgrade pumps represent only disadvantages for you. Zero advantages, except for the remote possibility of a future SR20DET swap, which a stock pump would handle anyway.