Sign in to follow this  
Harley91

Qld P-Plate exemption for turbo.

Hi Guys, I am looking at getting an S15 and I am on my p's, I know that there is an exemption in QLD that you can apply for so you can drive one. I know I cant get a JDM model only the AUS model GT but I am not to fussed about the 40kw difference, I just want an S15. Does anyone know what the process is with applying for a turbo exemption in QLD?

you'll need to contact the DOT for starters. id even suggest having a look on their website. http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/

I have locked your other 2 threads.. as 1 is enough. there is no point posting 3 threads asking the same question, if it is a state specific question your best bet is to post in the state in question.

good luck trying to get the exemption! S15's are nice cars :)

P.S Welcome to hardtuned :thumbsup:

No worries :). I couldn't find the 1st 2 threads to start off with being a newbie and all and have still being trying to figure out how to delete them. I have looked at the QLD transport site and it doesn't tell me to much, I printed off the forms but I guess im not exactly sure what to put on the paper work and if I require and supporting info. I may have to go in Monday and speak to them as im also changing jobs to be a car salesman so I will need a waiver. S15 are an extremely nice car and wanted one for a long time but I am finding it hard to find the AUS version.

Haha, yes I have seen the MCM episode numerous times but when I looked at the actual paper work there was still stuff that they didn't cover. Im trying to see if there is anyone else who has gone through this process and hopefully give some advice.

I got my S13 exempt a month or so ago. For specifications, e-mail Nissan Japan (postoffice@nissan.co.jp) and provide your VIN (S15-XXXXXX). Simple as f**k. However, I think there was changes in DOT regarding exemption eligibility. Not too sure what it is. It came out on the day after I submitted mine so yeah, not sure. For everyone else's sake, I hope it isn't too big of a deal. Enjoy!

Im thinking an s13 k's or 14 is on the cards as it is too hard to find an Aussie delivered s15 spec r for sale

Edited by Harley91

I got my S13 exempt a month or so ago. For specifications, e-mail Nissan Japan (postoffice@nissan.co.jp) and provide your VIN (S15-XXXXXX). Simple as f**k. However, I think there was changes in DOT regarding exemption eligibility. Not too sure what it is. It came out on the day after I submitted mine so yeah, not sure. For everyone else's sake, I hope it isn't too big of a deal. Enjoy!

S13 SR20DET Manuals are not eligible under the new law's as they do not meet the weight to kilowatt requirement HOWEVER SR20DET Auto and CA18DET Auto/Manual do fall under the requirements.

ok, well im going to go for the 200sx as they only produce 147kw and meets the requirements.

S13 SR20DET Manuals are not eligible under the new law's as they do not meet the weight to kilowatt requirement HOWEVER SR20DET Auto and CA18DET Auto/Manual do fall under the requirements.

I wasn't aware about the autos Anthony, but I trust your judgement :)

Have good read of the exemption categories. They are quite specific as to why you require an exemption. If your apply for one just because you want a turbo car i don't think you will get it. If you do a dodgy and use it for work or uni reasons and are court driving outside the prescribed parameters then again you will be subject to fines for fail to comply with conditions of the exemption.