Sign in to follow this  
Jaycastle

Problem putting a shimmed R200 back together

Hi Guys,

I did do a search and can't find anyone who had this problem, I've probably done something dumb wrong and that is why I'm posting here for help, need to get this back together before Matsuri this weekend.

So I took the diff out, popped the centre out, took the crown wheel off, undid those 2 screws underneath where the crown wheel was, and got too where the shim is. Now at this point I understand you can take it apart further and get to a shim on both sides, but from what I understand you don't need to do this and you can simply add a shim or 2 straight onto one side only. So at this point I measured the old shim to find it was 0.8mm, and I want this diff to be locked, its not going in a street car, just a drift car so I threw in 2 x 1.01mm shims to make sure it locked the diff. This puts the total shims size at 2.82mm on the crown wheel side and probably another 0.8mm on the side behind the spider gears.

At this point I put the centre back together with a rattle gun and then checked the torques with a torque wrench, everything is looking good and I'm getting excited but then I went to re-install the centre into the housing and I can not for the life of me get it back in.

I tried and tried and tried, all different ways, watched heaps of youtube videos etc, read so many threads about doing this and did not hear of anyone having so much trouble getting it back into the housing. In the process I slightly damaged 2 of the bearing shims (they are slightly bent but nothing major, I believe they will straighten out once I get it back together.

Anyway I took it all apart again under the assumption that 2.82 mm was to much and I took out the original 0.8 mm shim and left just the 2 x 1.01 mm shims in. It still wont go back together.

Has anyone had a similar problem, Do I need to use less shims? I want to make sure it is locked, but should I take it apart and change to just the original 0.8mm shim + 1 x 1.01mm shim and see how that goes or is there tricks to get these centres in under these conditions. I'm using a press to slightly spread the housing (like a case spreaded) and allow a little more room.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks guys,

Jesse.

man, i generally just use a 1.01mm shim on top of whatevers in there... havent had one single wheel in the while ive been doing them.

when i come across tight ones... bust out the ol rubber mallet and give it a couple hits. enough to get the bearing caps on, and bolts started.

then just use them to screw the centre until it pops in. back off bearing caps and tension as needed.

sounds so dodge typing it out like that haha. failing that. get your mitts on a diff spreader.

Thanks for the quick reply WPN-X7,

Alright I'll put in the 1.01 plus the original, try and flatten out my bent bearing shims and do exactly what you've said, if I can't get it in I'll hunt down a diff spreader and give that a go.

I'll report back when in the next couple of days with results!

If anyone else knows any tricks post em up and I'll give everything a go, hopefully get this thing back in before Saturday! Otherwise I'll be chasing a shimmed diff to borrow/buy!

Cheers,

Jesse.

if you get hell stuck with it. give me a yell. depending on where you are in adelaide might be able to help out.

but generally using the endcaps to pull the centre in works (ive had to do it a couple times for people wanting shims done trackside)

when i put mine back together i followed the trick of just assembling everything on top then dropping it from a small height (a foot) onto a phone book. the force kicked it most of the way in and then i just did the bearing caps up.

just make sure the stub axels go all the way in first. it sucks getting it back together and then realising you have to pull it out again

If I can't get it back together tonight WPN-X7 I'll get in contact with you, I live heaps far away but could meet you after hours at your place or something like that and get you to check it out.

Can someone explain how they usually do it.

I'm guessing you put the big bearing cap in and the diff, then try to get the 2 small bearing caps in and tap them down gently?

Cheers,

Jesse.

Usually need 2 people. Hold the housing upright. Pickup diff centre and spacers and drop in as one tap down on either side to keep it level then bearing caps on and tighten it down. Everyone gets stuck the first few times. Diff spreaders worth the money.

Alright got the centre back in YHEWWWW!!

I flattened out the bent bearing shims in a vice, put the housing in a 20 tonne shop press and put a fair bit of pressure on it (using the press kind of as a case spreader I guess but with more risk of cracking it), and then I put the centre in along with the chunky bearing shim from the passenger side of the diff, had it all sitting there nicely, slid the 2 thin bearing shims in as far as I could by hand and then began to tap them in with a light hammer, once I couldn't get them any further I put the bearing caps on and tightened them down, just have to tension them now and throw the diff back in the car!

Thanks for the tips guys, worked a treat.

Jesse.

Okay, pretty sure I did something else dumb now.

If I disassembled it but didn't take the spider gears out I wouldn't need to worry about the spline alignment would I??????? I only took the crownwheel off, and put the shims on one side, but now I can't get my stub axles back in! I can get the passenger side (short one in) but not the driver side (long one)!

Please don't tell me I need to take it all back apart again???

you need to put the center back together with the stub axles in to align the splines. looks like its coming back out, sorry man... i did the same thing when i first did it.

Haha I knew it, should of double checked all of this before putting it in, this is going to be fun getting it back out now, it's in there tight as F*#K!

Alright Cheers for the quick reply, I'll get back out to it.

So I need to get the centre out, undo the crown wheel bolts and the 2 screws under it, put the stub axles in and then reassemble?

Is that right?

yep thats right, think everyone has done this at least once lol

Yeah that's right. Good luck getting it back out man. Sounds like its in there pretty tight. :S

Hour and a half later its all back together without any problems this time, the hardest thing was getting it back out, but I worked out a swell trick to get the centre out.

Put the housing in a press and put a little bit of pressure on it, wedge a pry bar into one of the holes which you can see the spider gears in. Now get a mate to stand there keeping an eye on the centre with a promise of beers. Go to the other side of the diff and put 2 of the tail shaft bolts and nuts into the yolk, put a large bar in between the nuts and bolts and turn the yolk until the pry bar in the spider gears binds up on the housing, now apply a fair bit of pressure and the centre will pop out with ease, although it took ridiculous pressure to get it in, hopefully that tip may come in handy for others in the future.

Got the diff assembled with both stub axles in, just need to put it back in the car now but that is a job for tomorrow night, need to bang out a uni assignment which is due at midnight tonight now :unsure:

Thanks again for the help guys,

Much appreciated! :thumb:

I think everyone that's shimmed a diffs made that mistake once or twice

Good to hear its ready to go

haha told you to check the stub axels first.

but as everyone says it happens to most of us the first time, but i bet we'll never let it happen again. glad it's all done