Sign in to follow this  
Spazo

Phone data question

Got a question I bet someone here can answer. I switched from 3 network using an iPhone 3s to Telstra using an iPhone 4...

I had a 1.5gb cap with 3 and now with Telstra I've got 1gb.. 1 week in and they text me to say I've already used half of it. Any ideas why? Is it the different phones, or the way Telstra counts data usage or???

The question being; how could I be using so much more data if my behaviour hasn't changed at all?

Could be the way Telstra counts their data or if you had website included (such as Facebook, eBay etc) as free data on your old 3 plan which are no longer included in your Telstra plan?

Or could be pro rata?

Check your billing cycle?

Cheers,

Andy

if you have only just signed up i would assume that it is the pro rata ammount

Using Telstra here to (Probably unrelated). My iPhone used a shitload of data last month for no apparent reason. I deleted a random app that I had downloaded, Data usage this month is back to normal. You haven't downloaded any apps since the changeover?

The new telstra plans are f**king shit. They reduced their data for what ever reason. I now hit cap every month where add on old plan on 1.5 I never used to

Yep

Voda didnt count facebook and YouTube on old plan

Testra coint every thing so now have to be super careful

Using Telstra here to (Probably unrelated). My iPhone used a shitload of data last month for no apparent reason. I deleted a random app that I had downloaded, Data usage this month is back to normal. You haven't downloaded any apps since the changeover?

0 apps as I haven't transferred my apple id onto it (from my old phone).

Locky that's a good point too but I don't use fb or youtube all that much. Maybe pro rata or maybe we're being jipped..

iCloud backup and photo stream. Them two kills data.

Prob prorata mate or you have some apps on new iPhone running all the time chewing ur data

Apparently (according to vodafail when i questioned a large iphone data bill) iphones have a habit of not reconnectiong to wifi properly. as in sometimes when the connections is severed for whatever reason, the phone wont always reconnect straight away.

I got one of those data manager things , mine is roughly 45% FB app, 45% internet, 10% other like ebay and other apps ect

So before with Voda I had a 1.5g limit and went no where near it as the FB app didnt count, but when I went to telstra they had all the the FB icons everywhere, said I want a comparitable plan and I was willing to pay the extra for better reception and 4G, but they didnt mention that FB contibutes to data so I got stung after a fortnight going over data and couldnt opt out as it was well after cooling off as its really short if you initiate the contract

Now I just turn off data whenever its going to not be used for a while and in the habit of turning on wifi and off data whenever im at home

Edited by (Locky)

All I have running is location services for maps and safari. Will switch off data roaming while I'm at work at least, thanks.

Got a question I bet someone here can answer. I switched from 3 network using an iPhone 3s to Telstra using an iPhone 4...

I had a 1.5gb cap with 3 and now with Telstra I've got 1gb.. 1 week in and they text me to say I've already used half of it. Any ideas why? Is it the different phones, or the way Telstra counts data usage or???

Had the same problem.

Went through 1.5gb within 3 days of picking up the phone.

Worked out a fair amount of it was chewed up in updating out-of-date apps that were on the phone. I kicked up a stink over how they hooked me up with what was essentially an obsolete phone, which I had to esentially pay to update. They ended up giving me a 3gb data pack for free for the balance of the month.