Sign in to follow this  
Steve Hammerschmidt

Service question, oil change

Hey guys,

I have a service coming up very soon, I have a few questions, I decided on using Royal Purple Oil; how much oil in litres are required in a jap spec turbo S15, also which oil specification do should i use, is it 10w40;

is this the right oil and price: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Royal-Purple-5L-High-Performance-Street-HPS-motor-oil-10W40-Synthetic-5-litre-/271208041659?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f25424cbb&_uhb=1

also which oil filter is ideal and what is the price i should pay? ebay links are appreciated.

cheers, steve

Lol it's not going to matter too much to be honest mate. I run NULON because you can go on their website, check thier lube guide and find out all the info regarding all fluids in your vehicle... I did that years back when i bought my first s13, but that's just me!

I have mates who swear by Penrite and others who only ever run valvoline!

When it comes down to it, your oil is for lubrication. Aslong as you're running something semi/fully synthetic and around 10-40,10-50 etc shouldn't have a problem mate.

just go to auto barn, they'll sort you out with a filter and grab a full syntetic or semi synthetic in the right grade. don't over think it and don't buy off ebay. for what you might save its not worth making a mistake over saving 10 bucks

penrite is a great oil, but burns much faster than motul or royal purple

is that an approprate deal and penrite is the best for a street applicationl, http://www.ebay.com....=item4ac62677f7 also that oil filter?

This is what I'm using at the moment. Was going to change it out for Penrite 10w-40 (all yellow sticker, fully synthetic) because it's Winter at the moment. Just get it from an auto store, they make virtually no money on oil and in effect you're paying $15 more in postage buying it from ebay.

EDIT: These are the two I run, it's even cheaper than ebay.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Penrite-HPR-10-Engine-Oil-10W-50-5-Litre.aspx?pid=14912#Cross

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Penrite-Everyday-Engine-Oil-10W-40-5-Litre.aspx?pid=283976#Cross

Edited by _R_J_K_

Why do you say this. Have you had any chemistry analysis done on various oils to back up your claim, or are you just guessing, or are you just talking shit ?

e-mechs

Why do you say this. Have you had any chemistry analysis done on various oils to back up your claim, or are you just guessing, or are you just talking shit ?

Just go Nulon 10w-40 fully synthetic, you can get 6l for $50 when on sale. Plenty good enough for a daily SR.

is that an approprate deal and penrite is the best for a street applicationl, http://www.ebay.com....=item4ac62677f7 also that oil filter?

Repco 20% off for auto club members in July (RACQ, RACV etc)

I use the 10W-50 Penrite ($53 before discount I believe) and the Repco or Ryco filter

Supercheap carry them on the shelf in 10L drum and they are good value when 20% off store wide weeks are on

Yet to see any independent scientific tests/proof that royal purple or any full synthetic oil is largely different from the rest

Edited by jlord16

nah just common sense and a little experiment i have done with all 3 oils....buddy

I would love to see the findings of your experiment bro..... I use Penriteinmy sr and it don't smoke and the oil level doesn't drop....

nah just common sense and a little experiment i have done with all 3 oils....buddy

If your burning through Penrite oil you have bigger issues that not even motul will save.

Penrite is a great oil, in f**ked out old engines it actually burns slower then valvoline and shell oils of the same grades ;)

I haven't tried putting expensive oils in a f**ked engine yet lol

I would love to see the findings of your experiment bro..... I use Penriteinmy sr and it don't smoke and the oil level doesn't drop....

i found in MY sr that penrite discoloured faster than when i used motul or royal purple not saying its a bad oil at all just simply stating a simple finding i made in my car

i found in MY sr that penrite discoloured faster than when i used motul or royal purple not saying its a bad oil at all just simply stating a simple finding i made in my car

Well that shows everyone that you don't know what your talking about. When one oil goes a darker colour than another it doesn't mean that is burning. Sure oil goes a dark black and smells cooked after it has been overheated but to say one oil "burns" ond another doesn't is a bit wrong. Im not trying to be a smartarse or say im an expert on the matter, but you are definitely confused.

I said it all in my lasts post.

thats fair and i do obviously know that oil is doing its job well if its going dark.....but what explains penrite going darker much quicker than the other two oils?

Well that shows everyone that you don't know what your talking about. When one oil goes a darker colour than another it doesn't mean that is burning. Sure oil goes a dark black and smells cooked after it has been overheated but to say one oil "burns" ond another doesn't is a bit wrong. Im not trying to be a smartarse or say im an expert on the matter, but you are definitely confused.

your right we went through all that in depth at trade school during engine rebuilds common myths and shit the discoloration usually means the oil is working and doing its job from memory

Penrite is an awesome oil. Been using it for ages now and my SR loves it.

Don't waste ya money on Royal Purple.

Greens, do you find your are burning oil on Penrite. I'm using there race oil n burn 1cm on the stick in 2000kms. Car doesn't blow oil smoke or anything. It's been good to me. Motors done 155000 with track work.

thats fair and i do obviously know that oil is doing its job well if its going dark.....but what explains penrite going darker much quicker than the other two oils?

Different additives being used in the oils

Why would you put royal purple in a basically stock motor.... If your into wasting your money that's fine

It aint gonna save your motor, regular service intervals and maintenance will do that

It aint gonna save your motor, regular service intervals and maintenance will do that

^ This, all synthetic oils are good, just keep your service intervals regular

Different thread title. Same people. Same arguements :rolleyes:

No engine oil will be that magic silver bullet that solves all your engine's ailments, or gives you an extra 5/10/20/100kws.

Greens, do you find your are burning oil on Penrite. I'm using there race oil n burn 1cm on the stick in 2000kms. Car doesn't blow oil smoke or anything. It's been good to me. Motors done 155000 with track work.

NA bro. I don't go through any oil at all.

My SR has done 180k too.