Sign in to follow this  
Nizmoose

What do people use to keep their dashes in good condition?

Hi guys I have a 180 and the dash in it is perfect but I can tell its starting to get dry and I really want to keep it in good condition so I thought I'd see what people use on their dash to keep it moist/hydrated whatever you want to call it and DO NOT comment with armor all protectant it kills dashes. Most protectants need to be used constantly and when usage stops bye bye dash so im looking for a really reliable and quality product that the dash won't become dependant on.

Cheers.

Rex's dash had a problem known as 'some Japanese halfwit sticking air-fresheners to it'

Best result was obtained with a product known as 'mint replacement dash'

In all seriousness it probably has more to do with sun exposure than anything else.

Most don't own their car for long enough (15 or more years) to make anything other than a subjective call.

A basic sunshade like below does the trick. Most car restoration shops also sell some awesome dash treatment products that are meant to be used only a few times in a few years....unlike the car detailing brands ( ArmourAll/ meguires ).

http://www.ebay.com....W-/220910617068

Edited by datsun180

Dash mat. Have one in the hilux , no cracks or blemishes after 21 years.

I'ld have to agree with how well a dash mat works but I have a 180 myself and felt that a dash mat took away the sporty feel inside a little, I use spray from Auto Pro but as Rex said earlier, I've only has my car for a little over a year now and havn't really had much chance to give many other products a go. Just experiment mate and see what you find works best

Thanks for the suggestions

A basic sunshade like below does the trick. Most car restoration shops also sell some awesome dash treatment products that are meant to be used only a few times in a few years....unlike the car detailing brands ( ArmourAll/ meguires ).

I have a sunshade and have considered a dash mat but I feel like it would defeat the purpose (I want to protect it so it looks good but if protecting it means I cant see it theres no point protecting it :P) The few times every few years shiz is what I was hoping someone would come up with hopefully someone knows a specific product!

303 protectant

Non silicon based, gives a nice semigloss/non dried out look but not blinding shine link most of them

Got recomended to use it after an autotrimmer stripped all the old amourall off my old s13, used it for the last 6 years on a variety of cars with no issue

Cracking is caused by the volitiles in the dash material leaving it. There is no way of replacing them. A protective layer can be applied, but a dash mat is about the only way to be sure. That layer on your windscreen in summer is the light ends of the vinyl.

The tears of virgins. Unfortunately it can't be re-sealed after use and is potentially difficult to source more, but worth the effort none the less.

Where that fails I clean the dash down with soapy water and hit it with with a silicone-free protectant.

Edited by pmod

Haha I will try and hunt down a virgin or three, so it's the silicone that does damage? Some good info arising here

dam and for the last 8 years ive been using so easy tire shine on my dash, door cards, wheels, pretty much everything because i get it free from work.......

Looks like im going against the grain, and packing my dash full of silicone goodness :(

I also use a sun shade

Go buy some meguriers dash protectant or some shit

ha ha, quote of the day

Dash mat 4 life. SRSLY.

DASH MAT SQUAD 4 LYF.

Seriously, for $40 my dash almost looks like it's from factory. It's still a strong black colour with minimal fading and 0 cracks anywhere etc. I used to use some vinyl protectant stuff which did the trick as well but dash mate 4 lyf is best solution.

i use white vineger 50/50 mixed with water, spray it and wipe it off and use a sunshade when the weather heats up

i also use that mixture to clean my windows, comes out like new works better than windex!

Edited by 200sxs14asr20det