Sign in to follow this  
Pervy

Xbox One

its not like the days were we went from cartridge to disc there are no amazing advances in tech its just going to be a much stronger console with next gen games, usual story few bugs but i think otherwise it will be awesome

edit and you couldn't play xbox games on 360 till they updated it either and im pretty sure ps3 is the same

Edited by chris_c30

The XboxOne, where you can watch TV on your Console.............on your TV

Also relevant.

.ME5Y8Xf.jpg

pretty lol presentation but I am guessing they will save the big game announcements and gameplay features for E3.

seems like this was more a 'hey look at all the shit this thing does please buy our product' to people who dont play games.

they already HAVE gamers eating out of the palm of their hand so I dont know why they would continue to advertise to them now.

edit: repost derp

Edited by Jason12

Why all the hate?

Registering a game or program online is nothing new.

Yes it looks like a Nintendo, but hey i liked it 20 years ago and i still like it now.

The fixed HDD is gay, but im not surprised they're pushing the cloud type services. Hell, i think Sony have dropped the ball as far as technology advancements go.

People are disappointed because they wanted something new and magical, but seriously how often are new technologies put into game consoles??? The Nintendo Wii was ground breaking, the Kinetic lifted the game again whilst Sony's eye-thingo was just woeful. There's been really nothing else 'new'.

Graphics - always better on a PC

RAM - weak

HDD - small

Size - no commercially viable advancements in 'shrinking', so it's all the same.

High expectations always lead to disappointment.

Also... Online TV will be the future.

this guy sums it up

Taken from Reddit, a summary of this interview with Matt Booty (General Manager of Microsoft's Redmond Games Studios), minus the buzzwords and bullshit.

Q - "In terms of there being a one-time installation of a game onto the hard drive on the Xbox One, that there's a successive payment if you want to install it on another one. What is the current statement on the existence or non-existence of that?

A - "The content is attached to your profile. That game is yours. If you want to play with your profile, then that's as if you're buying the game. When you buy a game, it's attached to your account and your profile and you'll be able to play that wherever you go."

Q - "Just to clarify, the game license is unique to your profile, not to the hard drive that you've installed the game on?"

A - "That's right."

Q - "There are two different terms; always-on, and always-online. Is the system always-on to some degree?"

A - "Just like most other devices, the Xbox One has different power states. If you're not using it right then, it has a low power state, just like how your phone's screen turns off or your laptop goes into sleep mode. But as we saw today, there's enough of it always on so that it can respond to your voice. If you're not using it, it'll power down. When you're ready to play games, it'll turn on instantly."

Q - "Now for the notion of always-online. That wasn't really addressed specifically in the presentation. Is there any sort of clarity as to whether the system requires a persistent internet connection or perhaps just a connection as a sort of handshake to verify that there is something going to the internet?"

A - "What I'll say is we designed Xbox One to take advantage of what the internet brings. Automatic updates, expanded content, multiplayer, the cloud, etc.; I think we've gotten hung up today on some of the details.

Q - "But if you have a truly solitary single-player experience, would that require an internet connection?"

A - "In the absence of any internet connection, you can play blu-ray movies and there are likely going to be some game modes that you can continue to play, but having an internet connection will still bring advantages."

Q - "With all of the things we've been shown today, the TV, swapping between games, the cloud, recording gameplay, etc.; will all of this be available at the launch of the console, and will this be exploited by the content and games?"

A - "All of the things we've shown today, you should expect to see at launch. In terms of what's to come, we should expect 6 months from now that you can do things in games that you couldn't do at launch, and a year from now you can do even more advanced things."

Q - "With the television and the instant switching, was that a real-time demo that was feeding in television that was being broadcast?"

A - "The operating system is specifically designed to be able to be instantly ready to switch while at the same time being able to run core games. It also allows switching over a variety of devices, such as Windows 8 and the Windows Phone."

Q - "It looked like the menu for the television was unique to the dashboard, but you still need to have your cable service. Do you still need a cable box or can you go directly into the system?"

A - "Xbox One will take your cable service's input and then display and layer on top of that. Even outside the US, anywhere we sell an Xbox One we want there to be live TV content but that depends on your cable provider. Think of it as HDMI in, but you'll still need a satellite or cable box or however you get TV."

Q - "So in terms of something like HBO Go, where you still need the subscription through your cable provider, that still stays?"

A - "Yes, that is correct. HBO Go is a great example, but there are many services like that around the world, some free, some subscription, some require a connection. We want to try to enable as many as we can, but it depends on your relationship with that service."

Q - "How significant of an investment is Microsoft making in digitally distributed, creative content like with Spielberg connected to Halo? That is definitely new territory."

A - "I think you've seen with our involvement in Forward Unto Dawn that we are as committed as anyone could be to the Halo franchise."

Q - "But if it's not just Halo, could it be something that can be attached to an existing Microsoft franchise? Something that can compete with Netflix and the like?"

A - "Yes, I think so. With the Xbox One designed to be an all-encompassing entertainment system, we might have more linear content that is integrated with a gaming franchise, some that might be a standalone in the world, and original linear content. Without getting into particulars, I think you could expect that everything in between there is stuff that we'd want to enable."

Q - "Now for games. Obviously today was light on the games with the emphasis to come at E3. But by going so light on games, who was the presentation for? With the time the presentation was at, the people who are really going to be watching are the people who know Xbox as a game console. This was speaking to a much different audience, and many gamers out there felt alienated."

A - "We want to include as many people as possible, and that includes embracing core gamers. I don't know if the time of the day was important because the information will travel quickly. Our goal is to get this out to as broad of an audience as possible. The way your question comes off as is there's a choice between a core gamer and general entertainment; with Xbox One, we don't have to make that choice. It's designed to handle and advance core games, and also do entertainment well. If we had to choose between the two, then I'd be worried. We built it to appeal to a very broad audience."

Q - "I can see where you're coming from, but I can say - just from watching the internet throughout the day - that there is a core group of gamers that come across as not knowing if they're really part of what Xbox One is doing. Do you think the messaging needs to be refashioned to be more embracing of core gamers?"

A - "As stated before, Microsoft is bringing 15 exclusive titles at launch. And as someone who sees behind the scenes, there's a great amount of activity going toward the content that we're bringing at launch. In terms of the timing of today, is that this is two parts: today for the reveal, and E3 for the games to cover all of the information."

Edited by Grantz0r

So pumped for E3. Hopefully they give us a price and/or actual release date. Oh and GAMES!

iBzvb2JSpQNRM.gif

^ haha that is gold.

Pre-orders are up.

EBGames - https://www.ebgames.com.au/featured/xbox-one $899

JB HiFi - http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/game/xbox-one/xbox-one-console-tbc-price/685118 $899

Havery Norman - http://www.harveynorman.com.au/xbox-one.html $888

For some idiotic reason, JB Hifi are making people pay 100% of the price on pre-order, so you can't put down a $50 deposit and pay the rest later like the other stores. I hope they like getting practically no pre-orders as most people would struggle to drop $900 in one hit.

Edit - Apparently if you physically go to a store you can do a minimum deposit of $100, it's just that the online store makes you pay the full amount.

Edited by Pervy

I could care less. This thing looks ridiculous, everything about it is absurd, ball is in Sony's court.

But the game (console) that says "PUSH BUTTON TO WIN" to create a sense of achievement (almost similar to gambling addictions) is king and makes the cash flow. So whatever floats your boat.

I'd also like to see statistics of Xbox 360s bought vs Xbox 360s bought and online - I don't think there'd be that many that are offline permanently

I could care less. This thing looks ridiculous, everything about it is absurd, ball is in Sony's court.

But the game (console) that says "PUSH BUTTON TO WIN" to create a sense of achievement (almost similar to gambling addictions) is king and makes the cash flow. So whatever floats your boat.

I'd also like to see statistics of Xbox 360s bought vs Xbox 360s bought and online - I don't think there'd be that many that are offline permanently

Mine's never been online.

Thanks to the fact that it doesn't work with USB wireless internet cards.

Everyone has gotta chill I don't mind rhe design I think itll melt into people's entertainment system well, xbox has always had a better game lineup and Microsoft always seems to update and change things depending on what the majority of the users want

Couldn't care less what the console looks like seeing as ill be looking at the TV 99% of the time.

xbox has always had a better game lineup

That's debatable, especially recently with Microsoft's exclusive library shrinking, and Sony's growing with new titles.

I've probably had my console connected to the net 5 times in the last 3 years. All only being due to required updates. Not everyone is a fan of multiplayer or COD clones. I use my PS3 mostly as a hard drive recorder for digital TV and the odd single player game on the weekend. Having to hook up the console to my mobile broadband dongle daily would be a massive pain.

People also forget a large percentage of the world's population doesn't have regular or a strong signal for internet. This will only alienate users and customers. All for the sake of saving a buck to the few people who pirate games.

Edited by steveP

Don't forget the first 3-5 years of the PS3 was developers and Sony unlocking the full potential of the comparatively infinitely powerful Cell Processor - hopefully, they wont have to go through that again in round 2 (same infrastructure afaik).

Couldn't care less what the console looks like seeing as ill be looking at the TV 99% of the time.

i swear to god you're the only person who does that :P

i swear to god you're the only person who does that tongue.png

Where does that 1% come from?

Seriously...

i swear to god you're the only person who does that tongue.png

Seriously...

Huh?

i'm the same, don't care what it looks like, doesn't affect me playing games one bit

i swear to god you're the only person who does that :P

Seriously...

Huh?

For every 99 minutes you play your console, would you spend 1 minute staring and admiring it? Seriously, try it. I bet you'll only last a few seconds.

My smart arse point being, that you would spend less than 1% of the time staring at your console. It would more likely be no more than 0.01%.

:P

Don't forget the first 3-5 years of the PS3 was developers and Sony unlocking the full potential of the comparatively infinitely powerful Cell Processor - hopefully, they wont have to go through that again in round 2 (same infrastructure afaik).

from my understanding they are moving to x86 architecture too (AMD Jaguar)

from my understanding they are moving to x86 architecture too (AMD Jaguar)

http://nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=530261&st=60

For people bitching about used game rumors.

Much of what we have heard about the future Xbox One used game market has been either off-base or completely wrong. According to a new report coming out of the UK, gaming retailers are being briefed on Microsoft's new plan to handle the used gaming market fairly. The bottom line is that if you want to trade-in or sell your used game to a store like Gamestop, they will be operating with a new system setup to communicate with a Microsoft database. If a gaming shop wants to buy and sell used Xbox One games, they will be required to sign up with Microsoft for this service. After and/or during the purchase of a used game by a shop, their connection to this Microsoft database will deactivate the used title from your gamer profile account. It can then be sold to another customer and the activation code for the game will be transfered to their profile.

Additionally, the store can sell the used game for whatever fee they deem plausible, but the original publisher of the game and Microsoft will get a cut of the resale which will be handled through Microsoft's database. This seems like a fair way to tackle the situation, allowing gamers to offload their old games and retail stores to resell them, without hurting the original publisher. What do you guys think of this interesting concept? Is it the best possible solution to a complex problem?

Edit: above is still a rumor haha :)

Edited by Ghettobean

It doesn't help me sell 5 games on Gumtree or eBay let alone the local cashies, but I'm bitter given the whole thing is just becoming a little difficult and complex ;)