Sign in to follow this  
_Wing_

KW coilovers - anybody used them on a Silvia?

If so, what'd you get, what do you use the car for and how are they?

Put it this way, KW is used all around the world, you see them being used a LOT in hillclimbs and in race cars. So yeah they're pretty f**king good at what they do. just depends how much your willing to spend will tell you which one you should get.

Ive got a set on my s15. Done about 3000kms old so far. They're kw v3s with the kw camber plates (front and rear).

So far, its just been daily driving and the occasional spirited drive haven't been out on the track yet.

They are certainly comfortable.....and have independent dampner/rebound settings which I haven't played with yet. The clubsports have independent height/spring adjustments wheras the v3s dont.

Clubsport spring rates are a bit much for me, so I went with the v3s.

Clubsports are cost a bit more, but when you factor in the cost of the kw camber plates (cusco/tein/etc DO NOT FIT) you would be paying about the same for v3s or clubsports. I just went with the v3s because I didnt really want to muck around with different springs...

The v3s have a lot more travel than other coilovers, I notice the difference in traction....but also this means you may have clearance issues that were not an issue before (i did)

My past s-cars have had tein superstreet, tein flex, chingchong no-name brand and tein HA. These are the most comfortable street coilovers I have had and the car feels more planted than the tein flexs I've owned.

The alternatives you could consider are tein monoflex, or the bilstein package that you can source through heasmans suspension.

So yeah, I rate them, I don't know if they are the best, but im not disapointed

how are rear camber plates supposed to work?

wing, couple of guys on nissanroadracing.com use and rate them (all grip racers)

one of my mates has them in his e46 m3 (dunno what ones) i took it for a bit of a squirt down the road and they weren't too stuff ot bouncy or anything like that.

Let me clarify that. The kw front top mounts have camber adjustment, the rears (unsuprisingly) dont....

Thanks for the feedback you two :thumbsup:

I've currently got Tein monoflex's with the EDFC which I'm happy with on a daily basis especially with all the racing I did at wakfield, eastern creek and marulan. I haven't had time to get to the tacks lately but it's still being daily driven and I must be getting old or something cos I'm looking to soften up the car a little bit now - make it less track orientated and more street orientated or maybe I think I'm just itching for a new sussy setup to play with.

I'm not interested in any of that china shit, was thinking about a custom Bilstein setup but also looking at the KWs - essentially I'm looking for something slightly softer for the daily duties but still being decently tunable for racing.

I was hoping to team up the V3 with urethane/cushioned camber tops but if you're saying they won't fit regular camber tops then hmmmmmmmm.......

I have clubsports in my S15 (occasional use road registered track car).

Had a set of v3 in my Golf.

I think they are spectacular once they've been setup properly.

They are very comfortable and compliant for normal driving as they respond well to bumps in the road surface, but the low speed compression will still hold the car flat in corners for when you use it on track.

Worth noting they don't actually make them for the S15, so you need to buy the S14 set and adjust your brake lines to suit.

The quality of this stuff is astonishing when you hold a standard tein or other brand coil over next to it.

I bought mine from worksconcepts.com in the states (a sponsor on zilvia.com). Shoot them an email for a price and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

I believe the newer versions have much nicer adjusters than the Allen key that I have got to use. That is the only downside to my clubsports - they are a bitch to adjust. But once they are set up right for your intended use you never touch them again anyway... :)