Sign in to follow this  
TOM3CH

Dangerous Driving Laws for Private Property

Its all about money pure and simple not safety it stopped being that a long time ago. its wrong but the way the public see it anyone that does anything other than drive from a to b in a standard car like a granny you are a hoon

Has anyone taken notice of the amendments to the Road Traffic Act that the Government is proposing? They could have a HUGE impact on drifters - shed skids could see you being charged with reckless and dangerous use of a motor vehicle. Flogging around the paddock in an old ute might get you fined. Even organised drifting on a track could illegal.

What a ridiculous concept - just think how many rural kids learned to drive in the ute on the farm (or a mate's farm) - where they set up a short track and went round and round til they ran out of petrol or Mum called them in for dinner! They might have spun the wheels and slid (especially on a cold winter's day like today). Under this crazy concept a neighbour could ring up the Police or a patrol cruise past and not have enough fines accrued this week - and cha-ching - the family is hundreds of dollars worse off, the kid has a record and instead of learning car control in the back paddock they have to learn it on the streets - Go Figure - just another knee jerk reaction to win votes with the aging population.

And for city kids there needs to be an off road driver education/training centre - Did you know that South Australia is now the ONLY state where the Government has not funded a motorsports complex where young drivers can undertake off-street practical training - even Northern Territory has two - one at Darwin and one in Alice Springs!

(Post Shortened)

The third amendment is the one where there are HUGE issues. It relates to "reckless and dangerous driving" This is where the police could come along and fine (and even impound) a driver for doing donuts in the bottom paddock - or mono-wheeling the motorbike - or doing "shed skids" in their drift car. All these activities might be considered "reckless and dangerous" in some instances when undertaken on a public road. BUT we may now be in a situation where they become illegal when undertaken on private property. Does this include a designated motorsport park - eg Collingrove Hillclimb. Mallala Motorsport Complex or Tailem Bend MotorSport Park - or Adelaide International Raceway?

it IS an issue. We want to keep this sort of behaviour OFF the roads - on a designated sports track - or in someone's back paddock. This law change will mean that there is no incentive to act responsibly - if the Police are down on their monthly revenue target or the old person up the street dobs you in - you will be fined for "reckless and dangerous" driving

As i said before, you cant be 'fined' theyre not expiable offences so all of your revenue comments are fairly pointless political catchphrases. They would have to arrest or report/summons you to court for the reckless or dangerous driving stuff. Popping a mono or doing a burnout never has been 'reckless or dangerous' and there are separate offences for those, but you can do whatever you like on private land if you have the consent of its owner. The reckless or dangerous stuff refers to causing a significant risk of death or injury to others and doing skids in an empty paddock doesnt fit that. Trying to drift around an unwilling human traffic cone does.

Most of the things you have described already have legal definitions. The matter would be in court so the police cant exactly decide "well it was a doughnut but he had permission so its not misusing a motor vehicle, so now we'll say its driving in a dangerous manner." It would get thrown out. Getting the evidence to push any of these charges would be far too hard without it being witnessed or having a crash scene. There are a lot of examples where this legislation is a good idea. Your fears are based on the idea the police will somehow get enough evidence to prosecute and the courts will agree...?

Keep in mind that a few recent fatal crashes have had charges downgraded from 'causing death by dangerous driving' to 'driving without due care' because the courts have ruled the conduct wasnt 'dangerous' enough. This was one in the country where someone crashed a give way sign and fatally T-boned somebody and another on south rd where a woman ran a red and killed a pedestrian. Thats now a precedent regarding dangerous driving. Not to mention the kind of speeds youd need to be going to prove the danger etc... Do some research into the 'on road' examples of this charge and my point will be a lot clearer.

Motorsport facilities have and always will be exempt so thats a fairly irrelevant point too. No issue with disagreeing but the whole revenue/racetrack/driver training stuff doesnt apply here so i'd suggest people look into it before freaking out over this. Plenty of situations where these laws aren't a bad idea

Edited by eclipse492

Has anyone taken notice of the amendments to the Road Traffic Act that the Government is proposing? They could have a HUGE impact on drifters - shed skids could see you being charged with reckless and dangerous use of a motor vehicle. Flogging around the paddock in an old ute might get you fined. Even organised drifting on a track could illegal.

What a ridiculous concept - just think how many rural kids learned to drive in the ute on the farm (or a mate's farm) - where they set up a short track and went round and round til they ran out of petrol or Mum called them in for dinner! They might have spun the wheels and slid (especially on a cold winter's day like today). Under this crazy concept a neighbour could ring up the Police or a patrol cruise past and not have enough fines accrued this week - and cha-ching - the family is hundreds of dollars worse off, the kid has a record and instead of learning car control in the back paddock they have to learn it on the streets - Go Figure - just another knee jerk reaction to win votes with the aging population.

And for city kids there needs to be an off road driver education/training centre - Did you know that South Australia is now the ONLY state where the Government has not funded a motorsports complex where young drivers can undertake off-street practical training - even Northern Territory has two - one at Darwin and one in Alice Springs!

(Post Shortened)

The third amendment is the one where there are HUGE issues. It relates to "reckless and dangerous driving" This is where the police could come along and fine (and even impound) a driver for doing donuts in the bottom paddock - or mono-wheeling the motorbike - or doing "shed skids" in their drift car. All these activities might be considered "reckless and dangerous" in some instances when undertaken on a public road. BUT we may now be in a situation where they become illegal when undertaken on private property. Does this include a designated motorsport park - eg Collingrove Hillclimb. Mallala Motorsport Complex or Tailem Bend MotorSport Park - or Adelaide International Raceway?

it IS an issue. We want to keep this sort of behaviour OFF the roads - on a designated sports track - or in someone's back paddock. This law change will mean that there is no incentive to act responsibly - if the Police are down on their monthly revenue target or the old person up the street dobs you in - you will be fined for "reckless and dangerous" driving

As i said before, you cant be 'fined' theyre not expiable offences so all of your revenue comments are fairly pointless political catchphrases. They would have to arrest or report/summons you to court for the reckless or dangerous driving stuff. Popping a mono or doing a burnout never has been 'reckless or dangerous' and there are separate offences for those, but you can do whatever you like on private land if you have the consent of its owner. The reckless or dangerous stuff refers to causing a significant risk of death or injury to others and doing skids in an empty paddock doesnt fit that. Trying to drift around an unwilling human traffic cone does.

Most of the things you have described already have legal definitions. The matter would be in court so the police cant exactly decide "well it was a doughnut but he had permission so its not misusing a motor vehicle, so now we'll say its driving in a dangerous manner." It would get thrown out. Getting the evidence to push any of these charges would be far too hard without it being witnessed or having a crash scene. There are a lot of examples where this legislation is a good idea. Your fears are based on the idea the police will somehow get enough evidence to prosecute and the courts will agree...?

Keep in mind that a few recent fatal crashes have had charges downgraded from 'causing death by dangerous driving' to 'driving without due care' because the courts have ruled the conduct wasnt 'dangerous' enough. This was one in the country where someone crashed a give way sign and fatally T-boned somebody and another on south rd where a woman ran a red and killed a pedestrian. Thats now a precedent regarding dangerous driving. Not to mention the kind of speeds youd need to be going to prove the danger etc... Do some research into the 'on road' examples of this charge and my point will be a lot clearer.

Motorsport facilities have and always will be exempt so thats a fairly irrelevant point too. No issue with disagreeing but the whole revenue/racetrack/driver training stuff doesnt apply here so i'd suggest people look into it before freaking out over this. Plenty of situations where these laws aren't a bad idea

finally someone put it into words

Taking a bit out of eclipse novel

"Drifting round an unwilling human traffic cone"

This can be taken many of ways. But if the person is dead from a stupid incident, 99% of the time he was willing because mates do stupid FUXKIBG things. Now his mate has to live with that for the rest of his life

Is it fair to now make that a chargeable crime ?

Edited by Lucas.

Taking a bit out of eclipse novel "Drifting round an unwilling human traffic cone" This can be taken many of ways. But if the person is dead from a stupid incident, 99% of the time he was willing because mates do stupid FUXKIBG things. Now his mate has to live with that for the rest of his life Is it fair to now make that a chargeable crime ?

i had a friend die from a shotgun wound to the chest

2 mates where playing with a shotgun and it went off and hit my mate

the guy that was holding it went to jail for seven years for manslaughter

and he deserved every year and i think he should have gone away for more

they where both f**king dumb for playing with it but the man holding the gun deserved to go to jail

same goes for vehicles and drifting

Edited by skedy

This can be taken many of ways. But if the person is dead from a stupid incident, 99% of the time he was willing because mates do stupid FUXKIBG things. Now his mate has to live with that for the rest of his life

Key word was unwilling... But if somebody got hit and injured it would be investigated. thats what i'm referring to with investigations and court proceedings rather than this fines and 'revenue' fear people keep running with. Unwilling person injured - hell yes its a crime, thats the whole point. Person being a dick jumps infront of a car - probably not.

Its a question that depends on the circumstances, which is why the law needs to be there, otherwise it wont even be investigated because theres no offence to investigate. In short, if it was someone close to me hurt from stupidity, then yeah i'd probably still want the driver charged for taking that risk with somebody elses life, willing or not. the "victim's" actions are definately a factor, but a driver risking a mate's life is a pretty big deal and dumb thing to do...

Edited by eclipse492

Taking a bit out of eclipse novel "Drifting round an unwilling human traffic cone" This can be taken many of ways. But if the person is dead from a stupid incident, 99% of the time he was willing because mates do stupid FUXKIBG things. Now his mate has to live with that for the rest of his life Is it fair to now make that a chargeable crime ?

they where both f**king dumb for playing with it but the man holding the gun deserved to go to jail

Wow. You are a hard cunnt.

It was an accident. You know ACCIDENT. Of mate 1 had said let's put it away

And mate 2 said nah this is cool then accidently shot him I'd understand .... But to victimize 1 when they were both just as f**king dumb is so so wrong

Key word was unwilling... But if somebody got hit and injured it would be investigated. thats what i'm referring to with investigations and court proceedings rather than this fines and 'revenue' fear people keep running with. Unwilling person injured - hell yes its a crime, thats the whole point. Person being a dick jumps infront of a car - probably not.

Its a question that depends on the circumstances, which is why the law needs to be there, otherwise it wont even be investigated because theres no offence to investigate. In short, if it was someone close to me hurt from stupidity, then yeah i'd probably still want the driver charged for taking that risk with somebody elses life, willing or not. the "victim's" actions are definately a factor, but a driver risking a mate's life is a pretty big deal and dumb thing to do...

Hypothetically*

Group of mates are on a property . Two have an argument. Later that night one of two who argued is driving a car and the other jumps in front of the car and breaks his arm leg.... The driver is now complete liable and can we done with jail time.... With this law in place

Is that not correct ?

Key word was unwilling... But if somebody got hit and injured it would be investigated. thats what i'm referring to with investigations and court proceedings rather than this fines and 'revenue' fear people keep running with. Unwilling person injured - hell yes its a crime, thats the whole point. Person being a dick jumps infront of a car - probably not. Its a question that depends on the circumstances, which is why the law needs to be there, otherwise it wont even be investigated because theres no offence to investigate. In short, if it was someone close to me hurt from stupidity, then yeah i'd probably still want the driver charged for taking that risk with somebody elses life, willing or not. the "victim's" actions are definately a factor, but a driver risking a mate's life is a pretty big deal and dumb thing to do...
exactly what i was trying to say in the beginning there just filling a gap

Although tragic, that's a completely irrellevant comparison to draw, and I completely disagree that the same applies to cars as in your example. Despite what the media say, a car is NOT a weapon. Can it be used as one? Sure, as can a ballpoint pen, a brick and a pair of fists. However, the ability to use something as a weapon doesn't fundamentally classify it as one, and it doesn't mean that safe handling of the item involves a policy of "never point at anything you don't want to destroy". The only real automotive analogy that properly contrasts accidental gun discharge is a chicken run or similar.

Furthermore, although I don't know the details of the case, I can't say that I necessarily agree with the harsh sentance either. Australia has made the gun laws so difficult and expensive to manage here that few people here have any firearm experience, so given a firearm you can expect them to do obviously dumb shit. If ever you've been on the range shooting, you'll soon notice how often newbies instinctively carry firearms with their finger on the trigger, hold guns horizontal instead of vertical even in front of people and don't check the chamber is clear before moving the gun off target, all despite being told in the safety brief to NEVER do any of these things. Outside the gun range, who is there to lecture them? Accidents can and do happen. In some ways, the accident you mentioned is a product of the environment fostered by people that make laws such as this one, whereby lack of experience and therefore ignorance to safety hazards leads to problems.

Edited by pmod

Hypothetically*

Group of mates are on a property . Two have an argument. Later that night one of two who argued is driving a car and the other jumps in front of the car and breaks his arm leg.... The driver is now complete liable and can we done with jail time.... With this law in place

Is that not correct ?

is he driving dangerously? if not, then no.

Lots of variables. Courts look at the evidence and decide. Its not as simple as 'you did this heres your fine'

The same situation but Person A tries to do a high speed slide past person B (who isnt moving) to spray some mud at him or scare him but accidentally clips his leg and breaks it (or worse). Should person A get away with it because its on private land?

Edited by eclipse492

Wow. You are a hard cunnt.

It was an accident. You know ACCIDENT. Of mate 1 had said let's put it away

And mate 2 said nah this is cool then accidently shot him I'd understand .... But to victimize 1 when they were both just as f**king dumb is so so wrong

Where exactly did i say i was a hard *milkshake*? wanker...

Your in a mates car driving too maccas late at night

your both drunk

theres an accident and you die

you shouldnt have gotten in the car, you knew he was drunk and in no state to drive

he is culpable for your death and will go to jail

it was still an accident, no one was meant to die but someone did and the person responsible has to be punished

Although tragic, that's a completely irrellevant comparison to draw, and I completely disagree that the same applies to cars as in your example. Despite what the media say, a car is NOT a weapon. Can it be used as one? Sure, as can a ballpoint pen, a brick and a pair of fists. However, the ability to use something as a weapon doesn't fundamentally classify it as one, and it doesn't mean that safe handling of the item involves a policy of "never point at anything you don't want to destroy". The only real automotive analogy that properly contrasts accidental gun discharge is a chicken run or similar.

Furthermore, although I don't know the details of the case, I can't say that I necessarily agree with the harsh sentance either. Australia has made the gun laws so difficult and expensive to manage here that few people here have any firearm experience, so given a firearm you can expect them to do obviously dumb shit. If ever you've been on the range shooting, you'll soon notice how often newbies instinctively carry firearms with their finger on the trigger, hold guns horizontal instead of vertical even in front of people and don't check the chamber is clear before moving the gun off target, all despite being told in the safety brief to NEVER do any of these things. Outside the gun range, who is there to lecture them? Accidents can and do happen. In some ways, the accident you mentioned is a product of the environment fostered by people that make laws such as this one, whereby lack of experience and therefore ignorance to safety hazards leads to problems.

the comparison i was drawing was too point out that if 2 people are doing something dumb the person holding the gun or the person driving the car are responsible for what happens

i should have also pointed out that the person that went to jail was the owner of the gun hence responsible for it being loaded

the comparison i was drawing was too point out that if 2 people are doing something dumb the person holding the gun or the person driving the car are responsible for what happens

i should have also pointed out that the person that went to jail was the owner of the gun hence responsible for it being loaded

Well in that case, being the owner of the gun it would account for the harsh 7 year sentance, and I'd mostly be inclined to agree with your stance. It's pretty damn easy to check if a round is chambered in a shotgun, so no excuses for pointing one at someone whilst loaded.

I understood the comparison you were drawing, and you are quite right in saying that the driver will generally be considered at fault, but the extenuating circumstances are quite different to the gun example. Where it differs is that whilst the only person who can perform safe gun handling practises is the person actually holding the gun, pedestrians and passengers can be the cause, a point I will raise having had so many drunks and retards walk in front of my car without looking, despite my car being the only one on the road for 300m in either direction.

Edited by pmod

You can argue this all you like.

We need to stop this rampant government that is out of control, who think that they are above it all and we are just mindless sheep.

Why doesnt someone look into ex Foleys expenses and how he was out in clubs every night buying drinks for all the females ON GOVERNMENT FUNDS, and then asking which ones would go home with him. Why doesnt someone look into why he really got smacked out. Same goes for Rann. I can list a few others who were blatantly braking the law but since all the grannies are sitting at home they will beleive the politicians that are feeding them crap thru the media noone wants to stand up and punish these criminals.

Ever since this labour government went into power its been new world order. You have to understand your basic human rights are being imposed on, and your free thinking to do what you decide to do and be accountable for your own actions.

Our taxpayer funds, what about all the fixed speed cameras they spent millions on, and since people are no longer speeding now they are bringing in other bullshit laws to pay for their own corrupt ways. A simple 5km over the speed limit now carries a penalty of $380. Are you kidding me? And they still dont have money.

Accidents happen shit happens, if you dont want it to happen to you wrap yourself in bubble wrap please. You could trip over the steps and kill yourself, what are they gonna bring in fines for not being allowed to trip over the steps.

How much are all these new laws costing us which are UNCONSTITUTIONAL. Look at the bikie bullshit, all it takes is one rich *milkshake* to take the government to court and thats it millions of taxpayer funds DOWN THE DRAIN.

WAKE UP

We need to stop this rampant government that is out of control, who think that they are above it all and we are just mindless sheep.

Why doesnt someone look into ex Foleys expenses and how he was out in clubs every night buying drinks for all the females ON GOVERNMENT FUNDS, and then asking which ones would go home with him. Why doesnt someone look into why he really got smacked out. Same goes for Rann. I can list a few others who were blatantly braking the law but since all the grannies are sitting at home they will beleive the politicians that are feeding them crap thru the media noone wants to stand up and punish these criminals.

Ever since this labour government went into power its been new world order. You have to understand your basic human rights are being imposed on, and your free thinking to do what you decide to do and be accountable for your own actions.

Our taxpayer funds, what about all the fixed speed cameras they spent millions on, and since people are no longer speeding now they are bringing in other bullshit laws to pay for their own corrupt ways. A simple 5km over the speed limit now carries a penalty of $380. Are you kidding me? And they still dont have money.

Accidents happen shit happens, if you dont want it to happen to you wrap yourself in bubble wrap please. You could trip over the steps and kill yourself, what are they gonna bring in fines for not being allowed to trip over the steps.

How much are all these new laws costing us which are UNCONSTITUTIONAL. Look at the bikie bullshit, all it takes is one rich *milkshake* to take the government to court and thats it millions of taxpayer funds DOWN THE DRAIN.

WAKE UP

Dude, we're talking about drifting in paddocks, not martial law...

We're doing pretty good. save the corruption, 'mindless sheep' and 'new world order' posts for youtube conspiracy vids...

Oh, and the lowest category for speeding fines (0-10) is a $150 fine, not $380. its almost as if people are no longer speeding now you're making up bullshit numbers to support your own corrupt ways

I got done for 7k over in a 50 zone. $380. My wife did also. It exists.

when they were 0-14ks it was a higher, now they made it a 0-10 category its 150. 10-20 is over 300 i think

Still too high either way

What do you mean i am making bullshit number to support my corrupt ways?

In what way am i corrupt? Have you looked into why they spent millions on cameras and bankrupted the state? Because people were no longer speeding and now the cameras have to be everywhere for them to increase revenue. Only someone with no sense can keep supporting this government.

And yeah we are talking about bush bashing in a paddock, but its a constant downward spiral. First you cant do this, then you cant do this NOW you cant do whatever you like on your own property.

I think you are the one that needs to wake up to reality Eclipse, this amendment to the legislation is unconstitutional. And all it will take is one guy with some money in the bank to challenge in court and it will get thrown out like the rest of the bullshit draconian crap they keep coming up with. But by that stage its too late, THEY SPENT THE MILLIONS.

So im all for freedom, not dictatorship. THANK YOU.

I dont need to save the new world order shit for you tube. Its happening right in front of your eyes, and you are too stupid to see it.

WAKE UP

Deej?

You are a site sponsor, advertising your goods on a website where you are calling people stupid

yeaaapppp

What do you mean i am making bullshit number to support my corrupt ways?

In what way am i corrupt? Have you looked into why they spent millions on cameras and bankrupted the state? Because people were no longer speeding and now the cameras have to be everywhere for them to increase revenue. Only someone with no sense can keep supporting this government.

And yeah we are talking about bush bashing in a paddock, but its a constant downward spiral. First you cant do this, then you cant do this NOW you cant do whatever you like on your own property.

I think you are the one that needs to wake up to reality Eclipse, this amendment to the legislation is unconstitutional. And all it will take is one guy with some money in the bank to challenge in court and it will get thrown out like the rest of the bullshit draconian crap they keep coming up with. But by that stage its too late, THEY SPENT THE MILLIONS.

So im all for freedom, not dictatorship. THANK YOU.

Yep. sure. the corrupt south australian dictatorship have bankrupted the state by installing speed cameras and have unconstitutionally proposed it should be a specific offence to kill somebody by dangerous driving on private land...

Even though acts engangering life is already an offence, making it car specific is unconstitutional... Not specifically, but totally goes against the vibe right?

Anyway. I've made my point in relation to the actual topic. As much as i enjoy the paranoid and uninformed responses i'm gonna stop posting in this one to avoid an argument. You dont know anything about the constitution. You dont know how the economy works and definately have a different definition of a 'corrupt dictatorship' to most people. I'm just gonna chill as this 'new world order' business you keep mentioning happens k?

WAKE UP

Deej?

nah

Deej.

You are a site sponsor, advertising your goods on a website where you are calling people stupid

yeaaapppp

+1

yeaaapppp

+1

1245676462_icecream-soccer-fan-kid.gif

Edited by Ceffy

yeaaapppp

+1

1245676462_icecream-soccer-fan-kid.gif

I laughed maybe a little too hard at that