Sign in to follow this  
Shakey Bones

Why Do We Pay More For Cars?

If your going to go to all that effort changing the vin number isn't that hard either.

two different ways to achieve the same result

Not talking about switching plates

Talking about buying a shell that is clean and registerable and then importing the same car and fitting all the parts it won't be hard to change engine numbers since itd be the same engine the car came with so it wouldn't be hard too keep it legal and report the different engine serial not speaking from experience but I cant see anything illigal or different from doing an engine swap

Where do I buy a C or E63 AMG/LS460 rolling shell from that's already Australian registered but cheap?

If your going to go to all that effort changing the vin number isn't that hard either.

only swapping the VIN is about $5,000 less in labour.

its not something id pay someone to do it would require room time and know how

I would rather change a vin any day of the week then pull a clean car apart and change all the parts to a shell.

IMO you would pay more than the $5,000 labour bill in your own sanity if you tried it yourself at home.

IMO you would pay more than the $5,000 labour bill in your own sanity if you tried it yourself at home.

Nah, it would be fine. Totally stripped and refitted the interior of almost every car I've owned, and the engine transplants aren't that bad. Could probably get the majority of the work done in a single weekend with a few set of hands.

If I were doing something like this, I'd even be half tempted to do it oldschool musclecar style; buy 3 extra garage jacks and weld up a rolling dolly made of square tube steel, plywood and caster wheels to turn the subframe/tailshaft/gearbox/engine into a rolling subframe. Drop the entire drivetrain and suspension from the donor car onto the dolly, jack the chassis up to clear it, roll the dolly out and leave the donor chassis on stands, jack up the shell, roll the dolly under it, put it on stands, then jack the dolly up and fart around locating the bolt holes. Never tried mounting the complete drivetrain from below, but I've done an assembled rear subframe and assembled FWD K-frame without issue, so I see no reason why it wouldn't work ok, and would be totally worth it to save $5k or so because the rest of the swap would be a walk in the park.

Edited by pmod

Nah, it would be fine. Totally stripped and refitted the interior of almost every car I've owned, and the engine transplants aren't that bad. Could probably get the majority of the work done in a single weekend with a few set of hands.

If I were doing something like this, I'd even be half tempted to do it oldschool musclecar style; buy 3 extra garage jacks and weld up a rolling dolly made of square tube steel, plywood and caster wheels to turn the subframe/tailshaft/gearbox/engine into a rolling subframe. Drop the entire drivetrain and suspension from the donor car onto the dolly, jack the chassis up to clear it, roll the dolly out and leave the donor chassis on stands, jack up the shell, roll the dolly under it, put it on stands, then jack the dolly up and fart around locating the bolt holes. Never tried mounting the complete drivetrain from below, but I've done an assembled rear subframe and assembled FWD K-frame without issue, so I see no reason why it wouldn't work ok, and would be totally worth it to save $5k or so because the rest of the swap would be a walk in the park.

heres a motivated thinker I cant see how itwould be amazingly hard people rip engines and gear boxs all the ttime interior would be a head ache but not impossible Edited by chris_c30

I think finding a shell of a car too make it worth it would be hard

What are we talking here? bmw m3 would be pretty easy. find a 318i shell or whole car.

would be a *milkshake* to fit the rear quarters... rear suspension is different too (nfi if they swap over)

I just thought we paid more because we're stupid.

That too. It's the Australian way...

would be a *milkshake* to fit the rear quarters... rear suspension is different too (nfi if they swap over)

true....

the whole idea is too much of a pain in the ass i think and not really worth it as it would still be a non genuine car thats been stripped and rebuilt...

How is it any worse then most of the cars on here with not all genuine parts theyd be the same as genuine just the engine number wouldnt match up but you car register the different engine

most cars on here are thrown together shitboxes built by 12 year olds with no idea

i have seen cars completely stripped down and put back together and they are never as good as factory. the interior is always louder and has more rattles and to make all that effort worth while you want to be bringing in a decent car like a late model m3 etc

It will never have the resale value of a genuine m3, it won't be put together as well as a genuine one and its alot of work

i dont see the point

^ is it just us missing the point?

Why are you guys talking about building cars, when the only way it's worthwhile doing it is to import a complete luxury/top model car over as race only and THEN PUTTING PLATES ON IT.

I brought this up 10 posts ago and everyone went on a tangent about being a Merc production line in there backyard and building a chassis rotisserie like they're pros

Why are you guys talking about building cars, when the only way it's worthwhile doing it is to import a complete luxury/top model car over as race only and THEN PUTTING PLATES ON IT.

I brought this up 10 posts ago and everyone went on a tangent about being a Merc production line in there backyard and building a chassis rotisserie like they're pros

but isnt this re birthing and very illegal

Most of the shit in this thread is illegal if someone were to do it.

Re-birthing is taking a car with a suss history (stolen,written off ,water damaged) and changing engine number and vin number to a car with a not suss history as to pass it off as registable.

Doing this to cars you own yourself is surely still illegal but its sort of a grey area seeing as you own both legally.

Any way you would try to attempt this there is ways for you to be caught.

Its not illegal to swap a motor in a registrable car you own so how is this different

Here you go; The new HSV GTS built here in Australia will cost you around 100k on road. They are now shipping it to the UK it will be on sale for 55 000 pounds or $86,500 AUD.

Go f**k yourself Holden and GM.

http://www.news.com.au/national-news/hsv-holden-to-heat-up-the-uk/story-fncynjr2-1226653359570

Because motors blow up thats why its ok to change them, there is no real reason for a car needing a body change unless its something that is deemed unsafe or illegal.

When a car is build it is given a vin number and that number is only to be used on that shell, its the law nothing you can do about it.

That is rebirthing

we are looking at a legal way to do it. I am saying it is pretty pointless to do it the legal way

also assuming you get the plates of another car what are you going to do with it then? its worthless without its VIN

The gts is more expensive due too luxury car tax. which was brought in to stop cheap merc's and bmw's flooding the market and killing holden, ford and toyota

We were never talking about anything legal because its a stupid idea to try and build a Lotus/Merc/BMW etc in you shed on a stripped shell you'll probably never find anyway.

From Chappy originally brining up the idea of a plate swap which is so common it's laughable.

A couple people have gone of on a tangent.

For example, Chris quotes a plate swap post agreeing with it then rattles of about being a luxury car making production line.

I often think about importing a car into the country as track only to save on the taxes then get the shell of the same model and colour from the wreckers for cheap then register the shell and put the plates on the import.

For 90% of situations nobody would notice.

that is an awesome idea just change the engine numbers at Rego office and your good to go

Not talking about switching plates

Talking about buying a shell that is clean and registerable and then importing the same car and fitting all the parts it won't be hard to change engine numbers since itd be the same engine the car came with so it wouldn't be hard too keep it legal and report the different engine serial not speaking from experience but I cant see anything illigal or different from doing an engine swap

In short brining over an M3 from Germany and whacking the plates from a base model BMW of the same chassis sold in Australia is easy.

If you wanna get a little trickier on many cars a simple firewall VIN number area swap is easy with basic metal working tools and a firewall respray.

Others have the VIN marked in numerous spots.

Anyway, give me a cheap LS460/E63 AMG anyday as the blatant mark up is just ridiculous.

..... But the chance of someone pranging in to you and having the cars end up in an insurance companies hands and then the police is not worth it to many of us including me.

Edited by brent47