Sign in to follow this  
AnDyStYLe

When is it time to sell up cos you're too old?

^ well played sir!

Years ago in Canberra I was out for a cruise when the ceffy was still on the road and saw an MG being flogged through a few roundabouts and nice corners. I caught up to it, got up next to him and looked over. It was an old bloke with a long grey beard, goggles and a skull cap thrashing the life out of this thing.... I decided there and then that I wanted to be that old bloke because he looked to have as much passion for cars at that age as I did at that moment. The best part was his wife was sitting next to him grinning ear to ear.

You're never too old to enjoy a hobby, but you'll grow tired of nagging and bitching. That shits gets old quick. Don't give in or else you'll join the legion of pussy whipped eunuchs that gave up their joy to silence the minister of war and finance.

orson_wells_Slow-Clap.gif

Edited by HumanHefner

time to hand in your man card, your bitch already has you by the balls.

You're never too old to enjoy a hobby, but you'll grow tired of nagging and bitching. That shits gets old quick. Don't give in or else you'll join the legion of pussy whipped eunuchs that gave up their joy to silence the minister of war and finance.

Sig worthy quote :lol:

Cheers,

Andy

Years ago in Canberra I was out for a cruise when the ceffy was still on the road and saw an MG being flogged through a few roundabouts and nice corners. I caught up to it, got up next to him and looked over. It was an old bloke with a long grey beard, goggles and a skull cap thrashing the life out of this thing.... I decided there and then that I wanted to be that old bloke because he looked to have as much passion for cars at that age as I did at that moment. The best part was his wife was sitting next to him grinning ear to ear.

orson_wells_Slow-Clap.gif

A31Cefiro for PM!!!

Greens waits for members to reply "I told my misses how it is and now I'm sleeping in my car"

just so you know, this is what happens when you give in and hand over your man card

just so you know, this is what happens when you give in and hand over your man card

http://youtu.be/Pa9k-1GhYKU

I want to punch him.

My old boss was in his 60-70's at a guess and man could he drive and not a single f**k was given.

The car on 2 wheels lol...

I can see where some people come from its just something thats been shown to them over the years of TV/News etc.

If you have a Hot Rod its fine to be older and modifying cars,

If you have a Muscle car its fine to be older and modifying cars

If you have a car that's popular with a younger generation its frowned upon.

You should take your gf out to some track days to maybe see what its really about, Most of the Circuit days at Sandown etc are loaded with guys 30-40+

image001.jpg

Edited by antonio

Keep it! Or at least have something similar that you can enjoy. I'm 37 and just sold my 180. I kind of miss it but i sold it to buy a Harley. I wanted to get back into bikes and couldn't afford both. The 180 was practicle enough while i had it. It was my daily, had 2 car seats for the kids in the back and had plenty of room for prams and groceries etc. Every bloke needs a toy. 1 sensible car is enough. We're getting by with 2 kids, mortgage etc with 1 hatchback and a Harley. His and hers matching sensible cars are over rated.

I would love to head butt that kid in that youtuvbe clip!!! Or drive over him 3 or 4 times with my car.

Edit: Reply to A31Cefiro

^ Nah that's out of the question, we've been together for like 7 years now. She's always accepted the car and my interests in the car scene but since hitting 30, she's of the opinion that I need to grow up now and as we're looking at moving in together etc its time to make some decisions. I understand where she's coming from in some ways and appreciate what she's said.

But yeah, still second guessing myself that's why I posted this thread to see what you guys think and have done in your own experience.

I've done ok in terms of finances and trying to do grown up stuff (property etc) but it keeps coming back to me still spending stupid money on the car, which could go into more savings. I've stopped spending on the car, well maybe just small amounts here and there laugh.png

Not sure how you guys with families (kids) do it? Unless you earn six figure salaries?

I think I will hang onto the car and garage it at Dad's lol. Settle for a cheaper more practical sedan so it's a win win.

Cheers,

Andy

Unless your priorities change and you are finding that the financial/reliability side of modding is ruining the fun for you (my reason for getting out) then you should not feel pressured to stop.

There are very few circumstances where the missus is justified in demanding that you change your hobbies to suit her. The simple response is "this is who i am, this is who i was when you met me, do not try to change me"

If you go changing yourself to suit your missus you will just end up living a charade. Be who you are, do what you enjoy and if she can't handle it, find somebody else.

:edit:

And i don't think i'm completely done with modding, i think i would just like to get a brand new car then start modding it when the warranty is up.

I got my eye on a Veloster Turbo.

Edited by Chappy

I would love to head butt that kid in that youtuvbe clip!!! Or drive over him 3 or 4 times with my car.

RULE #2: DOUBLE TAP

Well the old boy i bought my S15 off was 65 years old. He had it since new, and the only reason he was selling is was because: "when i want to go shopping with my wife, we take her VW polo, and when i want to go for a spirited drive i just bought this R1 motorbike, so i don't drive the 200sx much anymore"

So there you go!

As for the kid in the Youtube video, its because of people like that, i sometimes wish the world would go to shit, some sort of disaster, which leaves us in a Mad max style universe, because people like that kid would be the first to perish.

Never, life's too short. If you still get a smile on your dial when you plant it then keep it.

I'm 33, married for 10 of those, 2 kids, mortgage and 3 cars with the 180.

Lookin at buying another 180 to drift and grip race in the next couple of years. Your never too old!

Never, life's too short. If you still get a smile on your dial when you plant it then keep it.

I'm 33, married for 10 of those, 2 kids, mortgage and 3 cars with the 180.

Lookin at buying another 180 to drift and grip race in the next couple of years. Your never too old!

Good on ya man! Pure example that the s-chassis is not just a young person's car. Having said that but you'd think the main reason people give it up is for financial reasons to put money aside for house or kids etc.

How old do you have to be to appreciate a light rwd turbo car? The only juvenile thing about my car is the way I modded it but I can only kick my own ass for that. I get young ppl commenting on my car mostly but IMO an s15 is one of the nicest shapes around and after all I've spent I'd be kinda silly to sell unless I needed to. I understand why you're paranoid though, potential defects, easy to steal, so many *richard cranium* mechanics out there. I had my 180 stolen, I am eternally paranoid about my s15 so it's hard for me too, but I know once I sell I'll regret.

I test drove a golf gti and they're bloody fast, trust me, I was amazed how many mums and dads drive them. But look at them next to our cars and they're quite boring too, and expensive and apparently expensive to maintain. I also drove an SS ute. Amazing power but what a bore. Small light cars are the way to go.

I don't think I will ever sell my S15. I'm 29 myself I've owened it since I was 22. I bought it for 32 grand with 30 000km on the clock and a few mods.

So far I've spent about 30 again modifying and fixing it. I'd be lucky to get 20-25k for it now even with the new engine and Volk GTCs. So personally I don't see the point. I don't need to sell it. I'm even thinking of moving overseas to Thailand and then onto Europe over the next couple of years. I will just park it at my parents house and come back to it when (if I ever) come back to Australia. Hell if I move permanently to Europe I might ship the car over.

I looked into doing that for Thailand but the taxes alone were going to be upwards for 40 grand.

However as far as something like a 180 or S13 goes I think 30 might be a little too old for it. Upgrade to a newer version like a S15 something that you don't see most P platers driving.

However as far as something like a 180 or S13 goes I think 30 might be a little too old for it. Upgrade to a newer version like a S15 something that you don't see most P platers driving.

No way, clean 180's will one day be like clean 240's, the body shape/lines, modern classic!

disappointed.jpg

Edited by HumanHefner

Dont worry mr Hefner i reported his post !

You guys need to go to Japan and you will freak the hell out at how old some of the people out there are drifting/circuit racing/daily drivers in some High Performance machines.. A high percentage of the D1GP crew are well into there 30-40s..

Who cares how old you are and what car you own, people just jump to so many conclusions.. 'Oh hes listing to rap music/trance/anything not Rock and hes not 18years old what a weirdo'

Who cares how old you are and what car you own, people just jump to so many conclusions.. 'Oh hes listing to rap music/trance/anything not Rock and hes not 18years old what a weirdo'

My mother is 61 and listens to Evanesence, Avril Lavigne, Black Eyed Peas and various other new-release music. Makes for a laugh when buying her music as a gift; sales girl at JB HiFi or wherever will comment on how they like whatever artist/CD... tell them it's actually for my mother.

Yeahhh thats so stupid.

The Western world is heavily retarded in that sense, you can read a anime in Japan and be in your 60s.. Read an anime and not a kid in Australia and people think your a Paedophile.

Yeahhh thats so stupid.

The Western world is heavily retarded in that sense, you can read a anime in Japan and be in your 60s.. Read an anime and not a kid in Australia and people think your a Paedophile.

That's when you f**k their kids just to prove that there's a difference. Alf Stewart style.

Edited by pmod

Look beyond the s-chassis and see what you will find.

I look up to older car enthusiast like Gordan Murray & Jay Leno and obviously i cannot see myself being rich like them at their age but i admire their passion they have for it no matter how old they are. They will feel this way until they die.

Gordon is 66 and still drives a late 60's Lotus Elan and thinks its the best handling car ever. He believes light weight good handling cars are the best of the best and i tend to agree.

Jay's knowledge and enthusiasm go's beyond most enthusiast's. Just watch his youtube channel and see what i mean.

Im definitely going to be one of them old blokes with a 180sx!

Look beyond the s-chassis and see what you will find.

I look up to older car enthusiast like Gordan Murray & Jay Leno and obviously i cannot see myself being rich like them at their age but i admire their passion they have for it no matter how old they are. They will feel this way until they die.

Gordon is 66 and still drives a late 60's Lotus Elan and thinks its the best handling car ever. He believes light weight good handling cars are the best of the best and i tend to agree.

Jay's knowledge and enthusiasm go's beyond most enthusiast's. Just watch his youtube channel and see what i mean.

Im definitely going to be one of them old blokes with a 180sx!

Exactly!

Also that says a lot about the circles you enjoy your "passion" around, is it the more broader type of admiration that say someone with a bit of maturity has or is it some scenester/fad type admiration, I feel that to a certain degree it defines how you feel a particular model car is exclusive to a particular age group.

I was already wondering how the f**k I was going to get out of my 180 when I'm 60. It's hard enough when I'm 33