Sign in to follow this  
cm712

s15 or evo 7/8

Evo for family guys with kids (4 door / weekend picnic car)

200s for single homeless guys like me w00t.gif

+1

lol

Had my s15 for over 8 years bought it with factory warranty still on it and would never have sold it if my brother had not asked for it ! S15 is a great drivers car, light, agile bit of tail action here and there. Cheap parts, great ageless looks but is very compact inside (no backseat), shallow boot and can attract unwanted attention (popo).

Enter the Evo 7 I bought one at a great price unplanned that I thought could fill the void of the s15 it did to an extent great handling, good power delivery 4doors with boot space but has some bad points too. Feels like a fwd chews through tyres and fuel poor range 320-350km to a tank 35l can't do a u turn to save its life this also makes city car parks and some drive thrus difficult to navigate .

Neither has ever givin me any major mechanical issue

But they are two very different cars designed to go fast in different ways

Comes down to what you want and a deciding factor could be what you need or can afford . drive them and see ?

Edited by oyeaha

I've got both s15 and evo 9... COMPLETELY different cars - the s15 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better for the drive I love it, had it for around 10 years and not selling, evo's been with me for about 7 years, it's very practical but heaps boring.

I've got both s15 and evo 9... COMPLETELY different cars - the s15 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better for the drive I love it, had it for around 10 years and not selling, evo's been with me for about 7 years, it's very practical but heaps boring.

Can't argue with someone who owns both hahaha

EVO:

• Great power band
  • Zippy
  • Faster off the line
  • Handles like on rails, even in the wet
  • Awesome handling
  • Makes easy power with just new injectors and reflash stock ROM & minimal mods like exhaust
  • Does mad laptimes

S15:

• Stupid fun
  • Goes dur sideways
  • Standstills
  • More sideways in the wet
  • Slides around when you want it to
  • More challenging to drive fast
  • 2 doors
  • Sluts like it more

I'll pick the S15 purely because it's slower around a track and it doesn't handle as well as an EVO. If I was a track slut, I would just buy the EVO.

former S14a owner, current Evo 9 owner. S14 had 240rwkw when i sold out, evo was bog stock when i bought it and it still felt faster. Just a totally different car to drive. You just have to drive both and decide which you like more. Tail out shenanigans aren't my thing so i obviously much prefer the Evo.

evo is the pick for budget mods, only because it's so well equipped from the factory. Saying mods are less common or more expensive is a lie. CT9A Evos are everywhere in the US, just means you buy american instead of japanese parts. IMO it's (much) cheaper on the evo because you dont need as much stuff to achieve the same result. You'll never need to change the ECU. Evo ECU is amazing. Stock intercooler is good up to 300kw. etc.

you're gonna be pushing to do much with 20k. you'd be looking at an evo 7 and you wont get much change if any. Up your budget to 25 and you're better off. If you can source an evo 8 in your budget, do that. The 4G in the 7's has weaker rods.

Basically exhaust, fuel pump, retune, done. Dont even need a boost controller, buy a 3 port and swap out the standard solenoid. Shit even the standard one will do it, it just doesn't hold boost as well up top and you'll get taper.

If you want E85 you need bigger injectors too. That's about it though - you can run dual map on stock ECU, use the auto ICS as a toggle. If there's no E85 around, run it close to dry, swap maps with a button press and go to 98. no worries.

i f**king love my evo haha.

Edited by headlock

EVO:

• Great power band
  • Zippy
  • Faster off the line
  • Handles like on rails, even in the wet
  • Awesome handling
  • Makes easy power with just new injectors and reflash stock ROM & minimal mods like exhaust
  • Does mad laptimes

S15:

• Stupid fun
  • Goes dur sideways
  • Standstills
  • More sideways in the wet
  • Slides around when you want it to
  • More challenging to drive fast
  • 2 doors
  • Sluts like it more

I'll pick the S15 purely because it's slower around a track and it doesn't handle as well as an EVO. If I was a track slut, I would just buy the EVO.

I just need to add this, im not being biased because I love my s15 but an evo wont "handle like its on rails in the wet" it will have more grip than an s15, awd isn't a magical force that stops yuo from losing it in the wet. Also 99% of people will think you are driving a kitted up lancer, while those same people would think what is that when they see an s15. I still have older people looking at mine trying to work out what it is. Dont get me wrong I think evo's are great cars, I considered buying one but I wanted rwd and I still love my s15 10 years later.

former S14a owner, current Evo 9 owner. S14 had 240rwkw when i sold out, evo was bog stock when i bought it and it still felt faster. Just a totally different car to drive. You just have to drive both and decide which you like more. Tail out shenanigans aren't my thing so i obviously much prefer the Evo.

evo is the pick for budget mods, only because it's so well equipped from the factory. Saying mods are less common or more expensive is a lie. CT9A Evos are everywhere in the US, just means you buy american instead of japanese parts. IMO it's (much) cheaper on the evo because you dont need as much stuff to achieve the same result. You'll never need to change the ECU. Evo ECU is amazing. Stock intercooler is good up to 300kw. etc.

you're gonna be pushing to do much with 20k. you'd be looking at an evo 7 and you wont get much change if any. Up your budget to 25 and you're better off. If you can source an evo 8 in your budget, do that. The 4G in the 7's has weaker rods.

Basically exhaust, fuel pump, retune, done. Dont even need a boost controller, buy a 3 port and swap out the standard solenoid. Shit even the standard one will do it, it just doesn't hold boost as well up top and you'll get taper.

If you want E85 you need bigger injectors too. That's about it though - you can run dual map on stock ECU, use the auto ICS as a toggle. If there's no E85 around, run it close to dry, swap maps with a button press and go to 98. no worries.

i f**king love my evo haha.

lol, that's some funny shit.

why cause it contradicts your opinion?

all those 300kw+ evo's running on stock ecus, intercoolers, cams, etc. also do, go argue with them. Evo turbo is good for over 250kw on E85. Brad on here made i think it was 270 or 280 on a standard evo 6 turbo. And unless something has radically changed since i had a 200, you're going to need to replace your ECU to run a dual map set up on a Nissan.

evo's dont really get expensive til they break. fixing a diff or a clutch is a problem.

Mate needs a new front bar and lip front bar is 2000 lip is 700 parts are a *milkshake*

Yeah evo's arnt a budget sports car..

Thread is stupidly bias.

id put evo more on par with a gtr in fact id rather have a gtr expensive as for spare parts

Also, if you're married or have kids.. you'll get away buying an EVO over a S15 due to practicality of baby seats and enough room in the boot for a pram.