Sign in to follow this  
wildsr20

RB26dett 180sx Build

It's been a long time coming but I'm going to start posting about my experience of build a rb powered s chassis.

I purchased my 180sx about 4 years ago with a forged sr20 with a T67 hung off the side. Running 1.5 bar boost and regular road tyres, I managed to pedal it down the strip at 12.05 @ 122mph. After lunching 2 sr boxes, I converted to a z32 box. After that, the sr dropped a valve. So I then began parting out what I didn't need to fund my conversion. I found a donor rb26 in a half cut and had it shipped here to the desert.

Once everything was stripped down I found the motor to have had a rebuild at some stage, nismo twin plate clutch, greddy oil cooler and remote filter, tuned ecu (that got thrown in the bin being straight from Japan). No bashing was needed to fit the rb25 gearbox in behind the rb.

I began the task of fitting and getting everything sorted. I used a s14 steering rack, cefiro crossmember and swabar, 32 engine mounts. Modified the front pipe to reach, ran the intercooler piping, enlisted the services of mr031 to make up a nice tidy loom, wired in the avc-r, wired in the relay for the thermo fan, had the tailshaft length corrected, modified the geabox mounts.

Currently still have to wire in the gearbox. But I am waiting on approval from the local transport authority for the conversion so I can get rego. I already had r33 gts-t brakes so that's covered. Coil overs were also already fitted. The body needs some love and the carbon bonnet has had to find a new home since only the steel bonnet clears the engine cover.

No major mods planned at this stage, just want to get rego and reliable. Will have air filters, exhaust, avc-r, boost, tune. Fuel system was already a gtr intank and 044 with surge so that will remain.

The hardest part about this build is trying to fund it. I'll post I can when I get a chance.

01042011358.jpgEngineBay1.jpg01042011361.jpgIMG_0554.jpgIMG_0555.jpgIMG_0759.JPGIMG_2603.JPGIMG_1903.jpgIMG_3423.JPGIMG_3762.jpgIMG_3420.jpgIMG_3419.jpgIMG_3753.jpg

IMG_3417.jpg

I did this to my old s14 made the car a pig to drive great engine for bragging rights but that's it IMO sr >rb

Edited by nissanqld

^^ please explain??

Is it because the heavier motor? throws the drive ability off

But great build so far mate! im looking forward to this! may want to consider stiffer front end springs to cope with the heavier engine!

Edited by MeRlz

Have driven it already with the coil overs and they seem to cope quite well. It was a pig to drive at low rpm before with the big high mount so the twins feel very responsive and good power delivery. Once it's registered I'll take it out the weigh bridge and see the difference. Car was 1320kg with the sr20 in full street trim.

Yer pretty much I played with spring rates and different setting camber ,caster etc just under steer all ova tha shop

If your looking at making stupid power well fair enough but if your going for,a,mild rb there is no point to removing the sr in the first place

But in the end it only cost me 5k to do the conversion start to finish car owed me 13k total including purchase price of the s1 s14 and sold for $16800 2 years ago I post I pic when i get home

Cefiro. Says it in the first post.

Is anyone able to give me a definate answer on what the fix is to get the standard tach to read correctly with the rb signal? My avc-r is saying 1050rpm at idle but the dash is 1500. Really want to get this sorted.

Just got approval back from Motor Vehicle Registry. Time to get it registered!

no inspection? damn your desert state.

Interested to see how the ceffy sway bar fit? i have the same sump on my rb20 so wondering how well it fits?

Good build man, I've done the same conversion to my S15, drives well with the extra torque!

Still needs a inspection at the test shed, but that's only $44 and it's no different to a rego inspection. Just to check everything has been carried out correctly without and dodgy work. Should pass no worries though.

Been a long time coming, i miss the NT and the pits there. Here's hoping i see it at the big Al drags this year

Edited by BoostJunky

Probably won't quite be ready for the Al Stainer memorial meeting Nathan. Moving house, got baby due in a couple months so car isn't really at the forefront of priorities right now.

Edited by wildsr20

All wiring now complete.

Just waiting on tyres to arrives (been waiting over a month so far) then it's inspection time.

Took a photo of the oil cooler chilling in the guard and the R33 brakes. Purchased R33 gts-t rotors with blank hats and just drilled them 4 stud. they been on for a while but looks factory.

IMG_4016.jpg

IMG_4017.jpg

no inspection? damn your desert state.

Interested to see how the ceffy sway bar fit? i have the same sump on my rb20 so wondering how well it fits?

I'll take a photo tomorrow and post it up

Nice build man I'm about to do something similar with a 26 in mine, I've got a r33 crossmember sitting in the shed anyone know the exact differences?

Swaybar fitment. Not a great deal of room but it doesn't rub or touch.

IMG_4116.jpg

IMG_4117.jpg

Fitting catch can

And yes it fits under the bonnet. I had a carbon bonnet with the sr20 but the rb sits too high at the cam gear cover and the carbon bonnet fouled. Everything is cleared nicely with the original steel bonnet.

IMG_4118.jpg

IMG_4119.jpg

Nice build man I'm about to do something similar with a 26 in mine, I've got a r33 crossmember sitting in the shed anyone know the exact differences?

From what I've read the r33 crossmember sits a little taller. But all I've read is guys with rb20/25 bashing the bonnet skeleton to clear the manifold. Everything else seems to clear.

Wow that sway bar fits mint!

Staggered fitment ftw

New tyres. Nissan is getting a birthday.

IMG_4126.jpg

IMG_4127.jpg

Oil pressure sensor fitted, tyres back on, oil catch canister plumbed up, tach re-calibrated, test driven, ready for rego!

Few bits of fine tuning but she is good to go

Vehicle weight with all fluids is now 1380kg inc driver

Edited by wildsr20

Alloy Radiator fitted. Not a great deal of room to get in there with your hands now. And for those wondering, I'm using a spal 14 pusher fan with curved blades.

IMG_4213.jpg

IMG_4214.jpg

IMG_4215.jpg

Boost Gauge and water temp fitted where centre air con vent was

5 Stud conversion done and 18' Work CR Kai came up at a bargain price locally so they went on too.

img_4688.jpg

img_4693.jpg

img_5002.jpg

img_5003.jpg

Lookin cleeeeeaaannnn. I like it . Top effort man.

Nearly ready for rego. Just have to install speedo drive to correct signal and calibrate tach. Other than cosmetic BS she is ready for rego!