Sign in to follow this  
god084

180sx Type X circuit build

the ones on facebook look pretty good

Cheers mate. Facebook is just so much easier to upload them to instead of double dipping!

It looks good I do like the front end a lot of work went into it.

I'm a little confused though you've gone overboard on the front end but your cage is quiet basic? It's excellent for crash protection but for chassis stiffness it needs a few minor things.

If your going to repaint your cage I'd seriously consider tagging it to the a pillar and b pillar this will seriously increase the stiffness of your chassis in the photos it doesn't look like this has been done?.

I'd also add another 3 bars one going across the rear tunnel and tagging into the tunnel. Another two attaching the rear cross bar section that goes to your towers to your main hoop. I would attach the bars where your upper door bars are. This will mean instead of that section only having 2 welded points it now has 4 considerably increasing the strength of your chassis. Stiffness is speed supercars are a good example of that they have to meet a minimum weight so they just put bars everywhere allowing the suspension to do its job.

If you don't want to add the bars you should definitely look at tagging the pillars it will be the biggest gain and the easiest to do.

Just my thoughts

You could cut the car off at the pillars and it would make no difference to chassis strength. Do you honestly think tags made from 3mm plate are going to provide any support laterally??

Your interpretation of a Supercar is very incorrect and ill informed.

The chassis in a V8 are calculated and good ones are built with sweet spots to allow chassis flex and feel. A stiff chassis is not always a speedy chassis. A compliant chassis creates lateral grip without abusing the tires or relying heavily on the suspension, they are far easier to settle into a corner and take a much easier set when turned in. A to stiffer chassis will rely on its tires far to much leading to premature tire wear, difficult setup, and very unforgiving to drive.

Infact the Kelly built VE commodores had 4 removable X sections in the floor pan which could be removed and changed around to tune the actually chassis.

The Supercar fabricators I have that do work for me would laugh at you for saying they add bars to obtain min weight......

Lead is used on the floor to obtain weight, cage bars raise the centre of gravity and are not the method used to add weight.

The cage in this 180sx was done several years ago and started as a basic bonds kit that was extended. The fit is appalling but its what the previous owner dealt so its stayed.

Personally if like to see something like this in it.

For reference here is a couple of photos from a Garry Rodgers built Supercar.

It's not over the top with bar work. It's designed and executed properly

post-148666-0-73898500-1368616044_thumb.jpg

post-148666-0-68783200-1368616057_thumb.jpg

post-148666-0-96966200-1368616113_thumb.jpg

post-148666-0-42268300-1368616166_thumb.jpg

Cooler piping, intake piping, Tial 38mm BOV, All braided lines fitted, oil cooler fitted, PS reservoir fabed and fitted up. Currently having the whole car rewired so we can power up. Now running Haltech E felx sensor on the new tank too! IMG_0375.png

Wow looks so tough mate! Leave the body off haha

looks incredible

Thanks guys! I'd love to drive it without panels but it wont be that great for aero.

Few updates. Doors on, hatch on, bonnet on. cage painted satin black now. custom firewall which mounts to the main hoop in. I can now see the light!

im keen to see more of the fire wall, I saw your FB pic it looked neat. where are you putting the fuel cell?

Fuel cell has moved as I switched to E85 so needed greater capacity. The existing tank could only hold around 30ltrs. New one can hold 70ltrs. It now sits where the spare tyre would of.

looks very nice looking forward to seeing it with panels :) and out on the track

Well slots happened. We are 99% of the way. Car was tuned by Maroun at Race solutions and made 231rwkw. Just sorting through some issues at the moment like no brakes at all. Going to bleed them and change the pads to see if that helps. If not I might need a master cylinder change on the pedal box

I won't point the finger for you taking your time :)

We are ready for a shakedown on Friday at SMSP on the Brabham circuit (RIP). Fingers crossed it all goes to plan

Didn't get any decent laps in as the previous fabricator decided to leave the tank full of aluminium filings which in turn clogged all the injectors up after 5 laps. Lucky I didn't damage the motor!

That sucks mate, but good it did not do any damage.

Sign in to follow this