Sign in to follow this  
Ridin Dirty

misfiring problem

hey guys my s15 has this problem every now and again after it gets started it shakes violently and i assume its misfiring and all i have to do to stop it is push down slightly on the front coilpack and it then returns to a normal idle. its been getting pretty bad lately even starting to shake when i pull up to the lights. im guessing coilpack or spark plugs ? havent changed the spark plugs yet and dont know their condition, is it an easy job to do spark plugs ?? cheers for any help guys :)

Piece of piss to change the plugs bro. Are your coil packs screwed down or just sitting there?

I would go and get some new plugs and begin the process of elimination.

How much boost are you running and what engine mods have you done?

The reason I ask is that if you are running reasonably hi boost, you should probably go up a heat range in your spark plugs.

The plugs you need are either BKR6E if you are running under 14psi, or BKR7E if you are running higher that 14psi.

That's what I have gone by for a few years now and has worked for me.

the coilpacks are screwed down and im running stock boost. ive got coilovers, swaybars, tie and castor rods but the only engine mod is a pod filter.

are the bkr6e copper or iridium ?

They are coppers. Iridiums are a waste of cash IMO. Buy the copper plugs and just change them whenever your change you oil.

Changing the plugs is just a matter of pulling out your coilpacks and unscrewing your plugs and screwing the new ones in.

You will need a spark plug tool which you can get from any auto place for a few bucks.

Edited by greens14

ok sweet as ill just watch a youtube video to get some confidence haha. any possible way i could f**k it up ? as in anything i shouldnt be doing or anything to watch out for ?? sorry if im being annoying i just want to do it right

Over tightening them and gapping them correctly, where about in oz are you bro? If your in bris etc pm and I'm quite happy to show you

ok so i put new bkr6e's in and it felt like it was idling a lot better and then a few days later out of the blue it started shaikng more violently than in the past. pushed down the front coilpack like i used to do and it idled a bit better but was still misfiring so i then pushed the 2nd one a bit and presto it idled perfectly again. does this mean i need new coilpacks ? or is there something else it could be ?? cheers

ok sweet as ill just watch a youtube video to get some confidence haha. any possible way i could f**k it up ? as in anything i shouldnt be doing or anything to watch out for ?? sorry if im being annoying i just want to do it right

Are we being trolled here still can't work it out

no im not a troll, i just need to watch videos on youtube since only a few good people on here actually help me and the rest do the same as you, offer absolutely no help just ridicule.

could be some bad wiring in your coilpack harness. mine does that every now and then...misfires on boost so i get out and jiggle the wiring a bit and itll be fine again untill the next time i bump the wiring when working on something

No, splitfires only come with the coilpacks,

i had the same problem as yours, ended up getting splitfires and didn't have a single problem after.

unless you want to cheap out and just get single coilpacks instead of all 4.

but from reading your post, it seems like its more than just 1 coilpack.

They are coppers. Iridiums are a waste of cash IMO. Buy the copper plugs and just change them whenever your change you oil. Changing the plugs is just a matter of pulling out your coilpacks and unscrewing your plugs and screwing the new ones in. You will need a spark plug tool which you can get from any auto place for a few bucks.

Had a lot of trouble finding an old wire-style gapping tool myself. Tried all the normal auto places to no avail. That said, Trade Tools sell them for about $13.