Sign in to follow this  
Stuss15

Extra cooling for s15 using aircon fan....

The gktech fan won't really help on the track, it's more for drifters that do a run then sit in line without moving for a while. A fan will make hardly any difference once you're moving at a decent speed. How many proper race cars have fans at all? None...

If you have a Koyo rad don't worry about doing anything else. Unless your temps are getting over 100 degrees that is.

Pretty sure the stock thermostat is 80 degrees so it's always going to run at least that hot.

The guy I bought it off just told me if it goes over 90 degrees to come off the track as its getting hot.

Anyways point taken. Cheers

90 is nothing, my stock Falcon thermostat was 92 degrees...

I had to upgrade from standard rad and fitted a koyo, rest is standard.

My track temps at the last lakeside day I did peaked at 95 and car was still fine before that I saw a peak of 125 hence the urgent upgrade

I had to upgrade from standard rad and fitted a koyo, rest is standard.

My track temps at the last lakeside day I did peaked at 95 and car was still fine before that I saw a peak of 125 hence the urgent upgrade

replace your thermostat also?

repalce your radiator cap also? - this is usually overlooked by a lot of people..

they would be the other 2 things that need replacing..

have you replaced your water pump???

personally i did when i replaced the radiator...

if it still overheats, good chance you have run a a few different types of coolant together through the block, and you have blockages in your block due to coagulation of coolants.

replace your thermostat also?

repalce your radiator cap also? - this is usually overlooked by a lot of people..

they would be the other 2 things that need replacing..

have you replaced your water pump???

personally i did when i replaced the radiator...

if it still overheats, good chance you have run a a few different types of coolant together through the block, and you have blockages in your block due to coagulation of coolants.

No I didn't replace any of those as the problem was solved by the bigger radiator.

a proper flush also wouldn't be a bad idea. then blow everything out with compressed air.

I have been using this setup for the last year in my s14a daily driven with no fan shroud and nismo thermostat that little sucker combined with both fans and even tho i dont have a shroud it wont go over 75 unless i use the ac i love it

Is it on constantly or did you wire it through a switch and relay.?

Switch and relay aswell as a cheap 12v temp switch

Installed a high pressure rad cap with standard overflow setup. After 5 laps at qr ill be lucky to see 85 degrees. I know it wasn't getting high but as I didn't have an oil cooler at the time I thought I'd try and keep temps down.

I bought a GKtech fan and the thing pumps huge amounts of air, if you are having issues with cooling its definitely the way to go. Easiers way to fit it is to take the hub the guys have been talking about off the pulley, only 4 bolts that are super easy to remove with some ratchet spanners. This also means you can check to make sure that the hub itself is still in alright condition and not to loose or has o much play while its out.

Slightly off topic but want to replace my old standard radiator cap and all the after market ones seem to be 1.3 bar instead of 1.1 bar yay or nay??

1.3 bar will make your system more efficient. So yay!

Il will raise the boiling point of the coolant, assuming you have good one in there. I'm not sure about upping the pressure on the stock rad tho, could be a bad idea if its an old rad.

yeah, everything else has to be tip top. as you are nearly doubling the pressure in the cooling system

Ok might just get amother stocker for now kinda want a new radiator since mine is a auto one with the trans cooler hooked up

I believe stock is .9, you can get caps that do 1.1. Maybe that is an option. I was concerned with upping the pressure to but it did help a lot.

I believe stock is .9, you can get caps that do 1.1. Maybe that is an option. I was concerned with upping the pressure to but it did help a lot.

i was just reading what the ebay add said been too lazy to have a look but .9 sounds right, im thinking about getting one of the new gktech rads so might do it then

R u having any cooling dramas? If not don't stress

Not really running a bit cool if anything but I think I might have a nismo thermostat it only really gets to 80 sitting in the 110 zone for awhile rest of the time sits low 70's

That's to cold. Don't even worry bout cap. Replace ya thermastat with a supercheap tridon one. More efficient then oem but not to cold like bismo. Or u could get a sard one that's in between oem and nismo

isnt oem thermostat 83 degrees? if so thats what i should be aiming at

Think it opens before then. Correct me if I'm wrong but opens at 78 and sits on 80-82 on the higheay

Think it opens before then. Correct me if I'm wrong but opens at 78 and sits on 80-82 on the higheay

that sounds right mine doesnt seem low enough to be a nismo or high enough to be oem so is it a possibility it could just be a bit dodgy and oem or something

My car gets to a 100 after doing 3 1 minute sprints

It's a s15 as well

China alloy rad and standard fan

Got a koyo and gktech fan to go in

Also have and oil cooler kit to go on as weel

I can't believe sc15 doesent get over a 100 during a race

Must have the system worked out for sure

It funny so many s15s running well over 90 and ill be lucky if mine gets near 90. It'll sit between 83-86/87 after 6mins at qr. standard thermostat too

MINE runs 81 around town standard shroud

and upto 87ish giving it a bootfull up a mountain..........

all i did was new water pump, new thermostat, new radiator cap, koyorad and voila!

since the koyorad, etc. have never seen it above 88 ever....

That sounds pretty spot on. All I have extra is the shroud/cooling panel to help with airflow and I've never seen it go over 88 will doing track work for 6mins.

you guys are concerned over the wrong things..

water boils at 100 degrees

good coolant boils at 130 degrees

Provided your coolant is under the boiling temp, you will be fine. You should be more concerned about your oil temps