Sign in to follow this  
snowdude_r

S15 Repairable Writeoff, Skippy Hunter

Hey peoples, just bought an S15 repairable write off so thought I would start a build thread to keep track of things, keep motivation up, and have a laugh at how much the plans change as things progress.

Its a pewter 2002 spec r, australian released car with aprox 98000k's, it looks like its been looked after pretty well before it cleaned up a Kangaroo and was written off. Would be interesting if the previous owner is an NS member as I would like to know more of the cars history.

So the story I have been given about the cars history and from what I can make out from logbooks and how its listed with the WOVR list is that it was last registered in South Australia, it was sold through the auctions in Melbourne and a bloke on the goldcoast bought it off ebay and got it trucked up here, in the process of unloading it from the truck they managed to rip both sideskirts and the rear bar off the car, being a fibreglass kit they are pretty much destroyed, all the bits are there to patch the sideskirts together but I think the rear bar is missing a big chunk and most of the front bar is probably spread about the side of the highway somewhere in south oz. So the guy that bought it started pulling things apart and realized how much work and time it was going to take and decided to cut his losses.

Little bit suss that some of the good stuff was swapped out for original before the car went to the insurance company as its still running stock suspension but has Greddy front and rear braces as well as some weird looking boot brace, slotted rotors all round, Greddy FMIC, Apexi computer (but no hand controller), Blitz boost controller.

Im currently working 7 days on 7 days off so the work on the car is going to be a little sporadic but a rough plan of attack at this stage on next break is to unpick the LHS rad support, remove the interior, unpick the front section of roof and cut across from passenger side and to the front of the drivers side to remove that section of roof and then take car down to my panelbeater and see if its worth trying to repair these sections or get a roof cut and rad support to start fresh. Will probably also remove front mount and try and straighten some of the fins that are bent.

Also on the shopping list is:

-Front bar or might just be better off getting a complete kit but speaking to queensland transport its supposed to be ADR approved which i dont know if theres many kits out there that are

-Bonnet, thinking about getting a fibreglass one off blitz?? on the goldy who apparently have had theirs ADR approved

-LHS guard

-LHS headlight, not exactly sure what kind of headlight it is and have been told a few different things on wether its a HID or Xenon

-Windscreen

Seeing how the only parts of the car that wouldnt require painting are the bootlid and drivers side door we are just going to paint the whole thing, would like to end up having something like Ghosty had with his S15 apart from the widebody kit, I want the car to be clean and straight for a street car but want to hit the track up for a small amount of drift and some time attack track days

Anyways Im sure its going to cost more than anticipated and take longer than expected but thats just how these things usually work out, If anyones got any second hand parts they are looking to sell that I can use on this please shoot me a PM

003.jpg

006.jpg

005.jpg

004.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

Bits of Skippy fur still on the A pillar

S15 Skippy resized.jpg

A ute full of bent panels and broken fibreglass

Pretty sure I bid on this exact car. Out of interest, what did it set you back? Roof should come out pretty straight with a porta-power. Hammer and dolly the skin roughly into shape. A pillar was bent back 1cm? hard to close passenger door.

Also it sold through auctions in S.A. first at least... Probably changed owners a few times and each person has thrown it in the too hard basket and probably tacked $1,000 on the asking price for a quick buck (case in point is a 930 turbo I saw go for $24,500... Whoever bought it has thrown it up on ebay with a 50k asking price and hasn't done shit to it).

Car sold for $4900 originally I reckon.

Anyway cool project :) good to see someone fixing rather than wrecking.

Edited by thriller

B4 cutting it u, get it checked by panel shop

They might be able to pull the roof back into shape, an same as a pillars

Still strip it down for them

Nice project tho

Pretty sure I bid on this exact car. Out of interest, what did it set you back? Roof should come out pretty straight with a porta-power. Hammer and dolly the skin roughly into shape. A pillar was bent back 1cm? hard to close passenger door.

Ended up getting it for $5700, the passenger door opens and closes fine, the A pillar has a small crease in it just above the join between the roof frame and A pillar but hasnt been moved back at all

Also it sold through auctions in S.A. first at least... Probably changed owners a few times and each person has thrown it in the too hard basket and probably tacked $1,000 on the asking price for a quick buck (case in point is a 930 turbo I saw go for $24,500... Whoever bought it has thrown it up on ebay with a 50k asking price and hasn't done shit to it). Car sold for $4900 originally I reckon. Anyway cool project :) good to see someone fixing rather than wrecking.

Yeah the bloke I bought it off said he got it off a guy in melbourne who just buys them at the auctions and chucks them on ebay after adding his bit on top. That 930 turbo is taking the piss though, if its worth 50k it would have gone for heaps more than $24500 originally, most of the regulars at all those auctions have a pretty good idea of what everythings worth and the days of picking up a bargain are gone eh. Yeah I really would prefer to see these cars fixed and still on the road rather than being wrecked and scrapped.

B4 cutting it u, get it checked by panel shop They might be able to pull the roof back into shape, an same as a pillars Still strip it down for them Nice project tho

Took it in to get my mate whos the panelbeater to have a look before the grinder came out, hes the one that said to unpick and cut stuff and its only the skin that will be cut not the roof frame but its also going to depend on how well the skin is bonded to the sunroof frame, I suspect theres going to be a fair bit of swearing involved!!

So Ive made a little progress in the last couple of weeks, have removed the most of the interior to try and keep clean and prevent damage during repairs, managed to unpick and cut off the damaged roof section and unpick some of the front rad support

roof section cut out.jpg

Also purchased a door, guard, and Gktech fan, am still chasing Lh headlight and thinking fibreglass bonnet, no idea which bodykit to go with yet

parts.jpg

Got a little distracted sorting out a couple of small things with the 180 and went to a QR drift morining, a whole lotta fun

pixilate 2.jpg

So things are pretty much at a stage where the car has to go to the beaters to get things abit straighter and then should have a bodykit to trial fit and get everything prepped for full respray

I know this might sound like a stupid question but I thought there was no such thing as a repairable write off anymore? Once it's a write off it can no longer be registered? Or is this strictly track only?

Victoria is perfectly fine for repairle write offs, Im amazed your actually wanting to fix it with that kind of damage.. I guess you can always cheapen out but id give the whole car a respray personally or its going to look extremely odd why the centre of the car is a different tone to the front/rear/top lol.

hey peoples, long time getting back to update this, been busy with all the usual boring things in life like work etc etc, also been trying to get a motorbike fixed up and regoed that i bought with a blown motor as well as work on the S15.

answers to previous posts that i hadnt seen sorry, its fine to reregister a repairable writeoff in queensland, you just have to go through all the process of getting a WOVR inspection (not sure if thats exactly what its called) as well as a roadworthy and your fine but it cant be registered in nsw and if you take it to victoria or other states it must go through that states repairable writeoff inspection process. also the car will be getting a full respray as the only panels that didnt have some kind of damage on them were drivers door and bootlid.

so i ended up buying most of what was left of a guys S15 after he wrapped it around a tree, didnt get the entire shell as it was pretty buggered and they thought it was a better idea to pull everything out of the car instead of selling it as a rolling wreck but got the front cut for rad support and tub etc, also got all the panels i needed plus a bunch of other stuff that i didnt need as he didnt want to seperate things so ill just have to sell off stuff when ive got this thing back together and figured out exactly what im using or not.

have managed to get the car down to the beaters for a couple of days, got the damaged front section cut out and new section tacked in place

238.JPG

239.JPG

got everything bolted in place for a test fit and all gaps line up and everythings looking pretty sweet

245.JPG

the roof section has been roughed out and tacked in place but needs a little more work but we are making slow progress

Edited by snowdude_r