Sign in to follow this  
Mandi

Custom Headlight Covers - YouTube DIY

Hi all, Custom Headlight Covers (fibreglassed and painted) DIY.

This video is intended to try and help members of the community so any constructive criticism or helpful advice would be appreciate. Apologizes on the sound and camera moving alot. I've ordered a tripod and will have to see if I can do something about a mic. Anyway I hope you can take something from this :)

Sorry it's 13 minutes long, was trying to be thorough without hopefully being boring!

http://youtu.be/xqZ80OTs-9Y

Nice diy, I would say that you have the concept down pretty well. My question is what exactly are the covers for?

Style? headlight ducts? headlight deletes?

I think in the future, if you wanted to refine this idea, making headlight 'deletes' or headlight ducts, make a negative mold of the front glass/plastic headlight and also the mounting brackets- You can use PVA, poly vinyl alcohol mold release film (so no need for the aluminium foil or saran wrap).

Once you have your negative mold, you can then apply the release inside the mold and cast a positive that is ready to go- doesn't need any sanding on the outside and can bolt directly to the factory mounting locations.

you are very cute by the way hehe

Nice diy, I would say that you have the concept down pretty well. My question is what exactly are the covers for?

Style? headlight ducts? headlight deletes?

I think in the future, if you wanted to refine this idea, making headlight 'deletes' or headlight ducts, make a negative mold of the front glass/plastic headlight and also the mounting brackets- You can use PVA, poly vinyl alcohol mold release film (so no need for the aluminium foil or saran wrap).

Once you have your negative mold, you can then apply the release inside the mold and cast a positive that is ready to go- doesn't need any sanding on the outside and can bolt directly to the factory mounting locations.

you are very cute by the way hehe

Hey thanks for all your positive feedback :) The headlights were so I could have black headlights to suit the theme of my car without painting them black or stickiering the headlights all the time as for night events or street use I need the lights to be functional, I did explain it originally but the DIY was getting to long so had to cut it back for fear of boring people :/

Thanks for the negative mold, something I would like to try in the future when I had time!

Sign in to follow this