Sign in to follow this  
hussy86

Rota wheels a problem?

Was thinking of getting some new wheels and liked the rota grids but saw some pictures on google that made me think twice about getting them. Anyone who owns them have any issues?

There is nothing wrong with Rota wheels.. they are not going to suddenly colapse if you hit a pot hole..

Grids are used on drift car all over Australia..

Ran them for a while and had no issues whatso ever.

Most of those hater pics on the net arent even Rota wheels.

I have been running Rota Grid's on my track for car for almost a year now. I have had 2 crack on me. Once of which Rota happily replaced under warranty.

but lets clarifty BOTH CRACKS HAVE BEEN MY FAULT. and any other wheel would have buckled / cracked as well. This was during on / off track transitioning.

At about $250 per wheel for drift rims with decent offset you cant go wrong. Good cheap rims that you can scratch without caring about.

there's been a lot of discussion around this, basically Rota are naughty for copying wheel designs but they make good wheels at affordable prices.

^ Exactly. The Rota wheels seem ok, and their popularity all boils down to Volk's target market. If Volk wanted to be in the 'street performance' market, they would have made a cast version of the TE37, rather than only making it forged and monoblock. The clients that buy them for motorsport don't usually care about Rota, as the rims don't offer what they want (weight and strength). The people who hate the copies are the brand-whore clients Volk have, who want them for the look and status.

In contrast, Work aims at the Street Performance market, making nice cast wheels, and despite there being plenty of copies of their wheels on the market, many people still buy genuine due to the more realistic price-point for a street car.

Edited by pmod

Perfectly summed up pmod

Fine for the street and ok for track application, just run em and get out there

Edited by brent47

Gram lites are rays cheap cast rims

Ppl just want it to look like te37s

There are plenty of other rims in a similar price range with a more of a original design

Wow this thread is gentle as hell for a Rota's discussion haha. Personally i've heard better things about Varrstoens and Koya than Rota's, but I run steelies so my point is invalid. Just buy what you can afford man, if you can afford $4k for wheels, you probably aren't driving a beater S13. If you paid more for your wheels than your car, well that's just silly.

There is nothing wrong with Rota wheels.. they are not going to suddenly colapse if you hit a pot hole..

there is a lot wrong with rota wheels, but no they probably won't explode on you.

Thanks everyone! :thumb: lots of good & detailed information here. made my decision a lot simpler :)

there is a lot wrong with rota wheels, but no they probably won't explode on you.

Why do you say that?

Wow this thread is gentle as hell for a Rota's discussion haha. Personally i've heard better things about Varrstoens and Koya than Rota's, but I run steelies so my point is invalid. Just buy what you can afford man, if you can afford $4k for wheels, you probably aren't driving a beater S13. If you paid more for your wheels than your car, well that's just silly.

S13 ratrod perhaps?

That reminds me of a Russian guy at high school that had a $3500 sound system in a KE30 Corolla worth about $500. Car was a piece of crap and was virtually falling apart, but the system was pretty good.

If you paid more for your wheels than your car, well that's just silly.

But wheels make the car, and Silvia's are cheap.

2-3k buy stock bodied S13 with 3-4k meisters etc on it is apples imo.

This goes for a lot of old school euro in other countries aswell who fit a quality look and build wheel like BBS.

Thanks everyone! :thumb: lots of good & detailed information here. made my decision a lot simpler :)
There is nothing wrong with Rota wheels.. they are not going to suddenly colapse if you hit a pot hole.. Grids are used on drift car all over Australia..
Why do you say that?

I think the point he is trying to make is that Rotas are a copy and by buying the copy you are saying that it is ok for cheap companies to rip off designs from the original manufacturer (who has put the time, effort and money into R&D).

Aswell as heavy yet weak which is a little shit + lacking detail.

Fine for most things you'll do in your car and not suitable for other disciplines of motorsport

This has all been covered before over and over.

Just go buy them and drive.

The Rota Grids i had 18X10 & 18X9.5 weren't actually as heavy as you think. I was quite surprised to be honest.

They weren't that much heavier than the AME/Enkei rims i have now.

Overall finish of Rota's are shithouse. Paint quality on them is bad, pretty much come rashed from the factory (poor quality casting). Out of a new set I fitted up yesterday, 2 were out of round and 1 had a small "dint" in the outer lip. These wheels were brand new and had never been out of the box. I've also had a lot of customers with majorly buckled grid's, with one customers 17x9 front wheels having 10cm of runout in the inner barrel (after 4-5 trackdays).

At the end of the day, people say "You get what you pay for". Unfortunately if this was true for rota's, they should be a hell of a lot cheaper.

I cant and wont speak for how they perform on track. But for a street driven car are ok. I have mine for about 2months, and my car was daily driven back them.

When i sold them i gave them a good inspection and they came up trumps.

Overall finish of Rota's are shithouse. Paint quality on them is bad, pretty much come rashed from the factory (poor quality casting). Out of a new set I fitted up yesterday, 2 were out of round and 1 had a small "dint" in the outer lip. These wheels were brand new and had never been out of the box. I've also had a lot of customers with majorly buckled grid's, with one customers 17x9 front wheels having 10cm of runout in the inner barrel (after 4-5 trackdays).

At the end of the day, people say "You get what you pay for". Unfortunately if this was true for rota's, they should be a hell of a lot cheaper.

I do completely agree with this. I use them as skid rims... i wouldnt use them for grip, they should be cheaper

dunno why people use them as "cheap wheels" when there is much cheaper stuff that's actually decent quality 2nd hand.

dunno why people use them as "cheap wheels" when there is much cheaper stuff that's actually decent quality 2nd hand.

Some people only want new gear. I'm of the same mind as you, but how many people have you met that would never buy a second hand car, even if it was 2 years old and looked new.

I've met plenty.

Mate.. Ebay, buy . click pay ..... click... delivered..

no driving, no meeting potentially shady characters. no hassles.. thats the lure of it to me

no driving, no meeting potentially shady characters. no hassles.. thats the lure of it to me

So I take it you don't shop in the NS private classifieds lol.

Edited by pmod

yeh, so you're paying for the service. although i'm not sure why you can't have the same service with 2nd hand wheels?

Some people only want new gear. I'm of the same mind as you, but how many people have you met that would never buy a second hand car, even if it was 2 years old and looked new.

I've met plenty.

they're picky, but not picky enough to buy anything decent.

Lets just say you'll be safer rolling around on a new set of Rotas all year round than being on the track at the same time with Nisskid and his missile.

Pro drifters need matching wheels to get all the sponnos, gotta be fluro though! Car won't skid with mismatch

yeh, so you're paying for the service. although i'm not sure why you can't have the same service with 2nd hand wheels?

I've met plenty.

they're picky, but not picky enough to buy anything decent.

Your getting me all wrong mate. I got nothing against second hand parts. More than half my mods are second hand.

With this particular item when I was looking there were none second hand available. I would have definitely considered it but I was after something particular, decent offset cheap rims didn't care about brand.

I like eBay because of PayPal payment insurance. (I have sent money to someone off ns.com before and took me a long time to get it back) and ever since the classifieds here got changed from forum style I don't even look at them

my location in western NSW and I have the one of 2 s13's in the area (like 100x100km) . No parts market and a full day round trip to Sydney to pick up parts not worth it unless dirt cheap.

i dont have anything against rota wheels. theyre cheap, good widths/offset,. same goes for varosteens etc.

end of the day however, if you know where to look and who to deal with. proper jap wheels can be had for the same price.