Sign in to follow this  
Stuss15

Brian crower step2 264 dyno gains from today.

Hi guys just thought I'd share some info from today as I recently had some bc step 2 264s with 12 mm of lift.

Just to make it clear this car was dynoed buy the same tuner on the same dyno with no other modifications since the previous tune.

The car made a 32 whp gain on 18psi. The car was tuned at pits by matt spry and I cant speak more highly of the guy so friendly and a world of knowledge.

It made a longer and stronger power curve from 4200 rpm all the way to 7300 where it peaked and only lost minor power down low. The longer power band is a lot more usable and I can fully recommend this upgrade from standard cams.

The car wasn't tuned for max gains just usable horsepower.

The mods to the car are, sr20 vct

Gtx3076r with .63 rear.

3inch full exhaust with ces dump pipe.

Waste gate is plumbed back.

Standard intake.

Front mount cooler and the usual small upgrades.

I also retained vct and used hks step 2 springs as they are recommended for 13 mm of lift and 8000rpm and are significantly softer than the bc springs. People run standard springs on these cams but to be safe it's recommended to upgrade them, as I want my vct to be reliable and last I went with this option.

Hope this can help you guys with cam selection!

The blue is the old tune on 18 psi with put cams and the pink is 14psi without cams.

You can see the new tune red 18psi and green 14psi. The low boost setting with cams has significantly improved and you can see massive gains from the cams!

Hey mate I don't wanna come across as rude or anything but the low boost before cams (pink) isn't 14psi it's only about 7psi, that's why there is such a big gain with the cams fitted (green line) it's double the boost

Hey mate I don't wanna come across as rude or anything but the low boost before cams (pink) isn't 14psi it's only about 7psi, that's why there is such a big gain with the cams fitted (green line) it's double the boost

If you compare red and blue you can see it picks up 30hp up top on the same boost.

If you compare red and blue you can see it picks up 30hp up top on the same boost.

Yeah Im not saying there isnt good gains, I just wanted to point out that the low boost after cams were fitted was on double the boost so you can't really compare that to low boost before cams.

Ahah your so rude, no all good. Tuner explained it but as I took a second look your right. Anyway was a good result for such an affordable price. Longer powerband is goin to be good fun!

Isn't that power from a turbo that size with cams a little low for 18 psi?

With my last setup without cams making 286.5 I'd race guys with 340' 341 whp and over a few 100m they would pull a half there car on me. So either the dyno is reading low or they are sh!7 drivers. I'm not here to make whp claims was just infomation for you guys on just the cam install and the gains capable. 32 whp is a nice gain and the curve to suit. The dyno I used does read lower than normal , I'm not chasing numbers, its no dyno comp lol.

I am building a forged motor for my s13 (no VCT) and I am going with the BC step 2's aswell but with a GT2871R. Current set up is making about 215rwkw @18psi, full boost at about 4000rpm. Engine is already rebuilt but looking at doing the engine change and tune in the new year.

My power curve currently flattens off at about 6000rpm, very similar to your old set up so with the addition of cams I was hoping to open up the top end more without sacrificing to much response. It will be interesting to see how the increase compares to your result.

^^ Mate had a 0.86 GT2871R on a dying redtop for 4 years, you had to be keen to get the most out of it. He's just rebuilt the motor (2.2 tomei stroker) with the BC 264/264 cams, and hasn't been tuned yet, but it's so DRIVEABLE. Standard cams and T25g simply run out of puff after 6000, but we were/are both surprised at how much cams woke up the good old 2871.

but we were/are both surprised at how much cams woke up the good old 2871.

I agree. I have a 2871R 0.86 on my blacktop non vct.. i ran with stock cams and then put 264/264 jun 11.5mm lift cams in and it made a huge difference to the feel mid / high range.

On the dyno pulled 263.9kw on 20psi but we downed it to 255kw as i still have a stock block. but its also running 231kw on 15psi on a safe tune..Thats what i normally run it at when i drift :)

I am building a forged motor for my s13 (no VCT) and I am going with the BC step 2's aswell but with a GT2871R. Current set up is making about 215rwkw @18psi, full boost at about 4000rpm. Engine is already rebuilt but looking at doing the engine change and tune in the new year.

My power curve currently flattens off at about 6000rpm, very similar to your old set up so with the addition of cams I was hoping to open up the top end more without sacrificing to much response. It will be interesting to see how the increase compares to your result.

Yours seems very similar to mine, my curve flatternd out at 5700ish and was great to drive but now it feels more lively, ill throw it on another dyno to see the difference in results. But definitely worth the money. The standard cams just don't cut it with an upgraded turbo!

With my last setup without cams making 286.5 I'd race guys with 340' 341 whp and over a few 100m they would pull a half there car on me. So either the dyno is reading low or they are sh!7 drivers. I'm not here to make whp claims was just infomation for you guys on just the cam install and the gains capable. 32 whp is a nice gain and the curve to suit. The dyno I used does read lower than normal , I'm not chasing numbers, its no dyno comp lol.

Did you lose much low down response with the cams?

If you look at the dyno sheet you can see the same power produced 250 rpm later between 3000-4000 and after 4000 the cams start to take off. If you drove it before and after you wouldn't go any other way.

So with standard cams let say it makes 150whp at 3500 rpm

With step 2 bc cams it makes 150whp at 3750 rpm

Cool, so real world drivability wise its not noticeable spool wise but definitely performance wise, I know what I'll be doing next.

If it feels better on the road, really that's what's important than a power figure.

i can get cheap bc cams but they dont make any that allow u to keep vct?

nice gains mang! how does the beast idle?

Here is how my one sounds with the jun cams on idle... straight through 3" no cat no mufflers :)

i can get cheap bc cams but they dont make any that allow u to keep vct?

Everyone can get cheap bc cams lol, they are cheap! You can get them to retain vtc just be careful when up grading springs because the stiffer springs hinder the life of the vtc. Do your research.

nice gains mang! how does the beast idle?

At first i wanted a lumpy idle but once they were in it was nearly as standard, just a lite bump in the idle and I liked it. Nothin exaggerated and over the top. Nothing like the jun cams as above but on pipe it's very nice!

Ill get a video of the idle tomorrow night and upload it for you guys.

matt spry doesnt like making the engines have a lumpy idle. he turns the idle up a bit and runs a bit richer on the fuel. Theres videos on youtube of guys changing their idle fuel ratio and you can get a wicked sound with lean idle mixture. my mate had 272 cams and got tuned by him and only had a slight lump to it because the idle was around 900rpm

Edited by Marko

matt spry doesnt like making the engines have a lumpy idle. he turns the idle up a bit and runs a bit richer on the fuel. Theres videos on youtube of guys changing their idle fuel ratio and you can get a wicked sound with lean idle mixture. my mate had 272 cams and got tuned by him and only had a slight lump to it because the idle was around 900rpm

That's sounds spot on! He played with the idle abit just before we did a road test to get it right.

Good results mate.

My mate had basically the same results on basically the same setup on a red top with the same bc stage 2 cams and same dyno.

Had a gain of around 40hp in the top end ;)

Sprys dyno all ways seems to give lower readings then others, so everyone ignore the total power reading, yes your car may make more power on the same boost but without going on the same dyno with the same tuner it's a pointless comparison, this is showing the advantage and difference with cams fitted.

That's really good, vtc or cam gears? It's funny because when I was running 286 whp I was holding guys with 330 plus in there s15s. Not concerned with the number but pump with the gains.

Did your friend just do cams only? And was it previously tuned at pits before he had cams?