Sign in to follow this  
A31Cefiro

Would you stop if you saw a car accident?

Depends on circumstances, I would and have in the past (helped a guy push his car off the road afterwards as well since it happened in the middle of an intersection in town)

If it is only something minor probably not. But if it looks serious then definietley unless emergency services are already on site in which case I'd probably be in the way so no.

Edited by Wannabe S14/15 owner

Duty of care applies to all citizens. Legal or not. For example, if you were walking down the street, you see a pothole, jump over it and the guy behind you is on his mobile texting someone and he doesn't see it, falls into it and breaks his leg. He can take legal action on you for not telling him.

Get off my internet.

Few weeks ago i was driving to Glynnsides house, i had come across a car roll over (was at 9pmish) i pulled over in the lane that was blocked with my hazards on, grabed my fire extinguisher and ran over to see if anyone was in the car, i saw no one was there but could smell fuel and the car was still running.

I told everyone that was close by to stand back because of the danger that was opposed i also saw that the nearby house had a garden hose so i grab that to keep on standby incase it burst into flames and things needed wetting.

A bloke with head wounds came up to me smoking and told me to f**k off. he said the driver is ok and thats all the mattered. i told him about the fuel and that he should stop smoking. he then told me "no f**king shit i can smell it captain obvious"

I then thought f**k ya and left. i could hear sirens. just gets me how rude people are when you are trying to help.

On another note my Fathers uncle was involved in a roll over in the country (yonks ago) people turned up raided all the occupants valuables and left them to die (even took the wheels off the car) sadly everyone in that accident died.

Few weeks ago i was driving to Glynnsides house, i had come across a car roll over (was at 9pmish) i pulled over in the lane that was blocked with my hazards on, grabed my fire extinguisher and ran over to see if anyone was in the car, i saw no one was there but could smell fuel and the car was still running.

I told everyone that was close by to stand back because of the danger that was opposed i also saw that the nearby house had a garden hose so i grab that to keep on standby incase it burst into flames and things needed wetting.

A bloke with head wounds came up to me smoking and told me to f**k off. he said the driver is ok and thats all the mattered. i told him about the fuel and that he should stop smoking. he then told me "no f**king shit i can smell it captain obvious"

I then thought f**k ya and left. i could hear sirens. just gets me how rude people are when you are trying to help.

On another note my Fathers uncle was involved in a roll over in the country (yonks ago) people turned up raided all the occupants valuables and left them to die (even took the wheels off the car) sadly everyone in that accident died.

That's f**ked, Spence.

Reminds me of that scene from Mad Max.

I had an incident where i came close to rolling my old ute had lots of issues but on the highway i was sitting on the limit when the engine stopped having only a couple of hundred meters to stop i braked heavily but one front brake locked and put it into a spin in and just as i got control it hit the grass and went up on two wheels but luckily didn't didn't roll over but thick smoke everywhere form the tyres and facing the wrong way on the highway and two cop cars drove past and didn't even look to see if everything was alright

Duty of care only applies to you if you begin to give aid once you have started if you walk off THEN you can be taken to court I have a first aid cert I have no obligation to give aid tho when ever I pass a car with the hazards on I will ask if they need a Hand and that they are ok usually takes 10 seconds to do so unless emergency services are there

All Australians have a duty of care, and you can get in big trouble for not performing your duty, if something were to happen to the other party.
hahaha no we don't. Duty of care only applies to Employers and Legal Carers etc, but the average citizen is not responsible for anything.

Very wrong you are.

Duty of care applies to all citizens. Legal or not.

For example, if you were walking down the street, you see a pothole, jump over it and the guy behind you is on his mobile texting someone and he doesn't see it, falls into it and breaks his leg. He can take legal action on you for not telling him.

It has happened before and someone has been taken to court over stuff like that.

So what your saying is, if you see someone passed out, you ignore him, then he dies, you can walk away from it? No.

You must attend to the scene and offer any help you can, warn others, etc.

I honestly don't know where you get your information, but it's completely incorrect.

I think you're thinking of if you have a first aid certificate.

Even then, as a bystander, you can choose to avoid giving assistance. However, if you DO give assistance, you MUST remain at the scene and do what you can (are allowed to do).

People do NOT take others to court for not helping.

Again, you're getting mixed up. People sue if they trip and break a leg, and someone tries to help by 'moving' them. Then they claim that person wasn't a registered doctor/nurse and had no training, therefore it's their fault their leg is so f**ked and they have 'chronic pain'.. or whatever excuse they use.

"It has happened before and someone has been taken to court over stuff like that."

:lol: Sounds legit. Show us the case.

Guaranteed it wouldn't even make it to court in Australia. The solicitor would probably just laugh.

Edited by Shark

Only paid emergency service workers have a duty of care, as volunteers we don't, which I find interesting, as we have almost the same training as the full timers!

At an accident that is.

as has been mentioned above, it depends on the circumstances.. about a year ago i was driving home from uni in my 180, it was pouring rain, and this stupid bitch in a NA two tone sil came flying up next to me, driving at least 20 k's faster than the speed limit, slowed down next to me, looked at me, then 'dropped it back' and flew off.. next set of lights she saw the red late, and i watched her lock up and plow into the back of this brand new commodore..

i stopped, helped push the sil off the road, then stayed at the scene talking with the commodore driver (he was an AJ, pretty cool lad) about cockhead drivers, then gave my statement to the cops about that girl driving like a farken idiot..

but yeah, i always try and stop if im the first one on scene and if theres no emergency services there..

sifn't double team her as blackmail.

What is this world coming to?

Yeah I stop to help, unless it's already covered in which case I'll get going. Had some stupid woman in a Commodore smoke it up going straight through a roundabout (probably mistook the accellerator for the brake), tried to turn into her grass downhill driveway just after the roundabout at probably 60kmph, and understeered into a telegraph pole instead. Blood all over the windscreen, unconcious - the usual. My old man and I hopped out to help, but at the same time an entire tour bus disembarked to do the same thing, mobile phones at the ready, so we left.

In another case, one night the guy in front of me fell asleep on a straight part of the M4 and ploughed into a corrugated side rail at 110kmph, coming to a rest in 3/4 of the inside lane. I pulled over with the hazards on a little further up the road, ran over with a torch whilst he was standing behind the car looking confused, flipped on his hazards and told him to get off the road. He initially gave some concussed protest to the effect that it was ok and that the car was shielding him, so I just said "Bullsh*t. You're doing it anyway" and dragged him over the guard rail off the road. As if to prove a point, less than 2 minutes later a semi veered off the road and came within a few meters of collecting my 180, swerving back onto the road at the last minute.

I stuck around with the dude and helped organise a tow and transport to the hospital, then left when he was lucid and the truck arrived.

The irony of all of this was that he upgraded to the new ute about two weeks prior, and were he to have crashed in the old car he may not have survived.

On the issue of giving first aid then being taken to court I can guarantee people have tried but only special case's where gross negligence is involved or special circumstances have people been sucessfull. The whole idea of first aid is to assist someone, in court you have to prove there was INTENT in people's actions to harm you. The actions of providing first aid shows a persons intent to assist someone in need of help therefore extremely hard to prove otherwise in court.

here's a more accurate question:

would any of you stop, help and do the right thing if you couldn't tell anyone about what you had done?

would any of you stop, help and do the right thing if you couldn't tell anyone about what you had done?

THAT JUST PROVES HOW FUKED UP THE WORLD HAS BECOME!

You mean like hide a body or something? Sure. Sounds fun.

I think you're view of the world is very dark and angry, and that most people that pull over and help because of the good inside them. There are many things i have seen that i will never talk about again at accidents.

Of course, a small percentage of those that pull over will do it for personal interests and to feel like a hero, but it would be a small percentage.

I think you're view of the world is very dark and angry, and that most people that pull over and help because of the good inside them. There are many things i have seen that i will never talk about again at accidents.

Of course, a small percentage of those that pull over will do it for personal interests and to feel like a hero, but it would be a small percentage.

the average human wont do a good thing unless they can tell someone about the good thing they did, thus making them feel better.

in this day and age hardly anyone does a good thing just because it's a good thing to do.

I believe i would help.

to date i have not come accross a random accident but have seen a few roll overs during events ( events that i have run as well )

at the time its not about legalities or fame but about the person/people in the car, so have legged it over to the accident.

( i know this is not directly the same as at events it is usually someone you know )

the average human wont do a good thing unless they can tell someone about the good thing they did, thus making them feel better.

in this day and age hardly anyone does a good thing just because it's a good thing to do.

I changed someones ti...wait, if i tell you then i did not do a good deed. :P

In your dark world that may be the case, but you don't stop at an accident in which cars are torn in half and there is blood and body parts everywhere to tell your friends about it, most people never recover from seeing things like that.

I used to feel good within myself for helping people and being nice.

Now I know everyone's a bunch of *milkshakes* I don't care.

To give a more serious answer to this question, yes, I would stop and help. Every time I've stopped to help someone out, my motivation at the time was to help them out... really just because I could and for no other reason. Doesn't matter if it's an accident, breakdown or flat battery. Whether or not I mention it to someone later on is irrellevant, since my thought at the time isn't in that zone. In fact, the only time I usually remember or bother mentioning anything in which I've helped somone out is if someone asks me what I did that day (normal conversation), or there was something bizarre, retarded or interesting about the event. I help people with all sorts of stuff and completely forget about it afterwards unless it was something unique.

A more accurate question would be whether people would help if there were no thanks involved. I would say that in some situations I still would (accident being a prime example), but for more mudane things I would not help that person a second time, should they show so little respect by failing to thank me for my time spent helping them.

Edited by pmod

In your dark world that may be the case, but you don't stop at an accident in which cars are torn in half and there is blood and body parts everywhere to tell your friends about it, most people never recover from seeing things like that.

a lady i work with came accros an acciedent ( moments after it happened ) a long time ago, she said it took them a long time to recover.

both occupants of the vehicle died while they were trying to help ( on the phone to 000 and assisting as instructed over the phone )

my point was that in this day and age people will take a photo or video to post on instagram or facebook, THEN they will start to help.

if it was a love tap then f**k no, keep on going.

if it was a serious accident and nobody was around, yer Id stop, if there were already a few people stopped and helping them, nah I wouldnt, Id just get in the way coz I know jack shit about first aid and what not.

when I got taken out but some douchefaggot apparently a whole bunch of people stopped to help and I was glad they did

If it was serious then yes, if not, then no.

Exactly. If it's just a tiny bumper bingle between cars then just moon them and continue on your way.

I hate it when people have tiny nose to tails(like hardly paint damage) on a major road and just stop in the middle of the road and get out and start exchanging details. If it moves, get it the hell off the road.

About 6 months ago I was witness to a reasonably serious accident, a car with 2 chicks on p,plates pulled across a median turning lane to go down a side street and mustve somehowfailed to see the big red commodore ute coming in the opposite direction, full speed 70kmh t bone to the door sent the astra 360 degrees. This happened right as i drove by and i had the window down, scared the crap out of me as the impact was so loud.

Immediately did a u turn and turned back to make sure everyone was ok. After being involved in and witnessing other decent accidents in the past (ive been into a creek, off the side of mt bawbaw and watched someone tbone my mates 180 so hard that he broke his pelvis) I knew that the people involved will be in shock and wouldn't be in a fit state to deal with what has to happen next, I made sure the bloke in the commodore was ok first, he had a broken nose from the airbag but was a well built tradie and was ok, the girls were out of the car and crying/smoking by the side of the road, both also ok, between me, the tradie and another bloke who had stopped we managed to push what was left off the commodore out of the middle of the road as all traffic was stopped and waited for police to get there (which didnt take long), after that I just made sure no one needed a statement and everyone was clear who was at fault etc and then went of my way.

When my mate got tboned we were in shock and there was a bloke on a motorbike who stopped and took control of the situation, he cut my mates seatbelt with a pair of scissors, turned the car off, made sure everyone was ok and directed traffic till popo got there, directed people of do things like call the ambo etc. Its simple stuff and mostly common sense but he was a fantastic help to us at the time and I figured these people needed someone to do the same for them.

If i am ever a witness to a serious accident again I would always stop as id hope someone would do for me.

my point was that in this day and age people will take a photo or video to post on instagram or facebook, THEN they will start to help.

I've stopped to help (as I said above , a few months ago) and I dont have, or give a damn about face space and instagram.