Sign in to follow this  
A31Cefiro

Would you stop if you saw a car accident?

A question of morality for the site.

Thursday morning I witnessed a guy in a Jeep completely fail to observe 2 lanes of stopped traffic & a red light and t-bone another car at 60-70km/h (guess based on the posted limit being 70). What really caught my attention was the fact that 2 people jumped out of their cars straight away, 'checked' that the driver of the car that was hit was ok and then jumped back in their and f**ked off to work whilst the car was sitting smashed in the middle of the road.

Once cross traffic had cleared I pulled over and checked the driver was ok, she complained of a buning sensation in her neck and a sore back so I called an ambulance, told her to stay seated, etc and then waited until emergency services arrived and gave her my details. I checked the driver of the Jeep was ok

I'm in two minds about the whole thing - pissed off that nobody other than me genuinely checked she was ok, it was like an obligatory 'oh shit, there's people around that may judge me, i'll check she's alive and then not get involved' check on her from a couple of people but none of them called cops/ambo. I'm also not that surprised by it as people are so self centred these days that they don't want to get involved for fear of having to help another or have their routine interrupted.

The cops asked if anybody else stopped, I told them 2 people did a quick visual and verbal check and then pissed off to work, the cop's response 'what arseholes' :).

So the question stands, would you (or do you) stop for an accident if it occurred right in front of you?

Few months ago , I stayed at a friends place, left for work, passing thru the city at about 5am, a car was on its side with no

emergency services there yet..saw a couple people running over to help. I pulled over so quick and jumped off my bike

so fast I parked in a shit spot and my CBR fell over. But I was more concerned about the driver in the car on it's side.

I stopped, i find it really hard to believe people wouldn't stop. It's those same people who probably get into accidents themselves and then call everyone arseholes when others don't stop.

Entirely depends on circumstances for me.

I've been involved in two accidents and nobody stopped for either of them. However they where "minor" and the cars where drivable afterwards to get out of the way of traffic.

For me, it depends on the size of the accident and if anyone else is already stopped.

I have attended two accidents, one was a burning 4WD, but there was littler we could do there. A boat stopped in front of us, and I know our laws require boats to have an extinguisher so I was looking in the boat to grab it, when the owner of the boat jumped in and pulled it out of a cavity. The other guys where using eky lids to shovel sand on the fire, but nothing stopped it...

Another I was leaving Hungry Jacks and a car hit a light post, then got out of the car and looked like he was going to run, but he ended up running to the otherside of the car to check on his passenger. Stayed with them till I knew they where ok and the police had been notified (just up the road from a police station) so we left when we saw sirens. I left them my details but I could not verify their story that another car swerved at them as it happened quite quick.

Every other incident, people have either stopped already or was minor enough not to get involved.

The only thing I see surrounding car accidents are people grinding to a halt, just so they can get a quick peek before playing Mr/Mrs. News Reporter to their friends.

If it was a serious accident, I'd probably stop. If it was something minor, where I then witnessed all occupants get out to start talking to each other, I'd probably continue driving.

I would stop if the accident to see if everyone was alright and wait for police and ambo but if there were already a lot of people around already i wouldn't stop

Minor, I'd give my witness details if needed to the people involved.

Major, for sure. As long as it was safe to do so and no emergency services where there already.

I always make an effort to stop for anyone who needs help. Whether it is a crash or breakdown I will always stop and offer help.

I have done this ever since I stopped once for a person who had broken down. No one was helping so I pulled over and went up to the car and found a young woman in tears with 3 kids crying. She said she had been there for 10mins while people abuse her and beep at her because she was holding up traffic. I have 3 kids and would never want my wife and kids to deal with that.

I know people these days say its too risky etc but society needs to pull its finger out and show some love to others that need it.

I would stop for sure. Saw a motorbike T-bone a car at speed that was turning into a side street on regency road once. I was in the work truck and stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. I mounted the sidewalk to get the extra 50m to the accident scene. The T boned car had been forced up the sidewalk and the motor cyclist was over the curb unresponsive. Surprisingly out of the hundreds of cars banked up there was only about 3 other people that got out and 2 people came out of a house.

People are just too selfish and too busy to stop and help. Their life is just too important to help anyone. No one is too important to stop and help another person in need.

It really gets me angry.

About 2.5 years ago, there was a 3-car pile-up on the freeway at about 8am. Traffic wasn't very dense at all, being in a rural area, but only 3 people stopped, and only two of us were actually going around and checking everyone was ok, and making sure the area was safe.

What pissed me off the most was nobody was slowing down as they passed the crash site. Everyone was still trying to do 110. What was worse, was two cop cars turned up and stopped right at the crash site, giving motorists approaching the crash site no warning at all. I ended up asking them if they thought it might be a better idea to put a cop car back up the road with lights on. They did eventually.

Rubberneckers who are travelling in the opposite direction, and are not affected by the accident piss me off as well.

we always stop for accidents or breakdowns unless there's already enough people helping. If I was on my own and it was late at night or somewhere a bit seedy I might not be as keen to get out of my car but I'd still call for help or try to do something.

Rubberneckers shit me too. Half the time they cause more hold ups to traffic than the actual crash.

Few months ago , I stayed at a friends place, left for work, passing thru the city at about 5am, a car was on its side with no

emergency services there yet..saw a couple people running over to help. I pulled over so quick and jumped off my bike

so fast I parked in a shit spot and my CBR fell over. But I was more concerned about the driver in the car on it's side.

Well done to you my friend! This is the perfect example of human compassion and kindness which is very lacking in today's society! Was more concerned for the welfare of others then the safety of your personal property!

To me it would also depend on situation, Minor car accident I don't worry about. You would think 2 adults could sort that out but in a case where a minor accident is the result of someone's gross negligence, Stupidity or Hooning (Hate that word but relevant) I will pull over because 9 times out of 10 in these situations the party at fault will deny any wrong doing and attempt to bully the victim. Seen it happen, we all know there are *milkshake* like this out there!

In the case of a major accident and your one of the first there or a witness then yes you stop! If you think there are enough people already or arrive after the fact then I wouldn't unless you have something to condribute to the situation. (Eg first aid, fire extiguisher ect)

But the most annoying thing is people who shove there nose in things where they are not needed just to give there opinion! (Old People!)

People are just too selfish and too busy to stop and help. Their life is just too important to help anyone. No one is too important to stop and help another person in need.

It really gets me angry.

Most people are more of a hinder than a help at a major accident scene. Dead bodies make people do funny things, if you don't know first aid or can't handle seeing some of the things you might see, it is best NOT to pull over. Minor accidents yes, majors, only if you would be a help.

But a certain percentage will not help due to selfishness.

Well done to you my friend! This is the perfect example of human compassion and kindness which is very lacking in today's society! Was more concerned for the welfare of others then the safety of your personal property!

To me it would also depend on situation, Minor car accident I don't worry about. You would think 2 adults could sort that out but in a case where a minor accident is the result of someone's gross negligence, Stupidity or Hooning (Hate that word but relevant) I will pull over because 9 times out of 10 in these situations the party at fault will deny any wrong doing and attempt to bully the victim. Seen it happen, we all know there are *milkshake* like this out there!

In the case of a major accident and your one of the first there or a witness then yes you stop! If you think there are enough people already or arrive after the fact then I wouldn't unless you have something to condribute to the situation. (Eg first aid, fire extiguisher ect)

But the most annoying thing is people who shove there nose in things where they are not needed just to give there opinion! (Old People!)

Cheers for the kind words brother :beer:

Where's ACA/TT to report on the responses in this thread so far? Turns out we're not all baby-killing savages, who'd have thought.......

Honestly it's the opposite, the people who subscribe to this whole 'war on hoons' and watch ACA/TT would be the selfish people who wouldn't stop and help.

Edited by KurtHS

Where's ACA/TT to report on the responses in this thread so far? Turns out we're not all baby-killing savages, who'd have thought.......

Who'd of thought :lol:

All Australians have a duty of care, and you can get in big trouble for not performing your duty, if something were to happen to the other party.

I've always stopped at the scene of an accident where there were no emergency services. Just to make sure everyone was alright.

Minor collisions, I'll just stop, ask if they needed a hand, a push or what not and be on my way.

90% of the time everyone was fine. If I witnessed it, I'll give my number out to the persons/police involved as a witness.

And if needed, first aid and drinks. The best thing you can do in an accident is chilled water on hand.

If I see there are already people there, I won't stop, too much crowd makes it worse for everyone.

The times where I've had an accident, big or small, no ones stopped. FFS my car broke down in a 1 lane street and no one came out to give me a push. They would then complain to me to move my car.

I'll even stop on the highway if I see a car with its hazards on. He/she might need a jump start, some water etc. Always good to give a hand.

It really gets me angry.

Most people are more of a hinder than a help at a major accident scene. Dead bodies make people do funny things, if you don't know first aid or can't handle seeing some of the things you might see, it is best NOT to pull over. Minor accidents yes, majors, only if you would be a help.

Yeah, spot-on. My mate in the RFS sees a lot of big accidents. He's had to restrain the odd person for having a complete wig-out when they've seen dead body, or not been able to help in time. One of the other issues he has is people who just won't leave once the emergency services have taken control of the situation. Quite a few times he's had people turn up after he has, and try and 'help', but won't bugger off when they've been assured that everything is fine, and there's nothing they can do. I'd say these people would be potential arsonists.

Who'd of thought laugh.png

Nah, it's definately 'have' :P

huh? Im confused and don't care about grammar (wasn't trying to correct him)

Was just laughing at the Who'd have/of thought we are not all baby killing savages comment.

It really gets me angry.

Yeah, spot-on. My mate in the RFS sees a lot of big accidents. He's had to restrain the odd person for having a complete wig-out when they've seen dead body, or not been able to help in time. One of the other issues he has is people who just won't leave once the emergency services have taken control of the situation. Quite a few times he's had people turn up after he has, and try and 'help', but won't bugger off when they've been assured that everything is fine, and there's nothing they can do. I'd say these people would be potential arsonists.

Who'd of thought laugh.png

Nah, it's definately 'have' :P

Happens all the time, nothing worse than having to divert resources to help the person/people in shock. The best help can be to block the car from incoming traffic, park on an angle approximately 20m behind the car, not directly behind the car, if somebody hits your car the accident scene will be protected!

Edited by Dr. Cranium

All Australians have a duty of care, and you can get in big trouble for not performing your duty, if something were to happen to the other party.

hahaha no we don't.

Duty of care only applies to Employers and Legal Carers etc, but the average citizen is not responsible for anything.

I used to stop for people who need help, but I've been screwed over by too many times trying to be nice. 3 times I have been crashed into by another driver and the police didn't do a single thing to help me even though I had the number plates, one of the drivers (an old guy in a Merc) actually drove into my when I was standing in front of him AND on a 000 call.

These days I would just drive/walk on by and ignore it altogether, if the police want to question me I know nothing and didn't see/hear anything, I wouldn't bother calling 000 and I wouldn't stop to ask if everyone is OK, they can bleed out for all I care.

I alone saw a senior citizen plow through some school children this one time but I had a boner and I don't get them very often so I wanted to get home and wank.

hahaha no we don't. Duty of care only applies to Employers and Legal Carers etc, but the average citizen is not responsible for anything.

Very wrong you are.

Duty of care applies to all citizens. Legal or not.

For example, if you were walking down the street, you see a pothole, jump over it and the guy behind you is on his mobile texting someone and he doesn't see it, falls into it and breaks his leg. He can take legal action on you for not telling him.

It has happened before and someone has been taken to court over stuff like that.

So what your saying is, if you see someone passed out, you ignore him, then he dies, you can walk away from it? No.

You must attend to the scene and offer any help you can, warn others, etc.

huh? Im confused and don't care about grammar (wasn't trying to correct him)

Was just laughing at the Who'd have/of thought we are not all baby killing savages comment.

It's all good.

Same mate had to go through the courts once, because he stopped to help a guy who'd been struck by a car on his motorbike and died.

Can't remember the full story, but it was very messy no matter which way you looked at it, and the family were trying to pin the death on my mate and a couple of other civillians who'd stop to assist while the ambos, etc were on their way.

Honestly, I think you've got to assess each one as they come.

hahaha no we don't. Duty of care only applies to Employers and Legal Carers etc, but the average citizen is not responsible for anything.

Very wrong you are.

For example, if you were walking down the street, you see a pothole, jump over it and the guy behind you is on his mobile texting someone and he doesn't see it, falls into it and breaks his leg. He can take legal action on you for not telling him.

It has happened before and someone has been taken to court over stuff like that.

This isn't USA. If some fool is texting and walking, and falls into a hole, I would only stop to look and laugh, I don't have any legal requirement to help them, while that doesn't make me a good person morally, I am still abiding by the law and that's all that matters, the law and morals are 2 very different things, being morally good gets you no where in life, but being not breaking the law makes you a good person in the eyes of society.

So what your saying is, if you see someone passed out, you ignore him, then he dies, you can walk away from it? No.

You must attend to the scene and offer any help you can, warn others, etc.

Yes, I can just walk away. Not my problem.

wrong

this isnt france

Very wrong you are.

wrong wrong wrong

i have a first aid cert, so i would try n help. but there is no requirement for me to help or anyone else to help

Very wrong you are.

wrong wrong wrong

i have a first aid cert, so i would try n help. but there is no requirement for me to help or anyone else to help

Duty of care only applies to Businesses and security operations. Some one hurts them self in your store the store has a duty of care to help them. Security kick out a drunk from a bar they have to make sure he makes it 200m away from the building before there duty of care is absolved!