Sign in to follow this  
Bensmc

Something is telling my ecu to go into safe mode

Hey all, got a ca18det, with nistune computer, under full throttle when the car is heated up, around the hi rpm mark, 6 thousand odd, the car goes into a safety mode or similar. The car feels like it literally turns off. No throttle response, nothing. Change down gear and then accelerate, nothing. You have to let the car idle down to idle speed and then you can go again. And you can repeat. I changed computer to determine if it was the ecu, but same thing. I was thinking knock sensor?

Any help, much approcated.

Best bet is to check for fault codes

http://forums.nicoclub.com/reading-the-fault-codes-on-your-ca18det-180sx-silvia-ecu-t270584.html

I see you're in NT, what's the weather like? And the car, still using SMIC or using a front mount? Radiator? Heat and heatsoak is a pretty easy way to guarantee knocking (and hence limp mode) on a turbo car.

Is it going into limp mode EVERY time you hit high revs/load, or just occasionally?

It's hot, feel sorry for the ca, it does it all the time under full load, full noise. Boost under factory settings, etc.

It's got aftermarket radiator, front mount cooler, striaght threw exhaust.

Maybe the ignitor/ ignition module , or coil packs doesn't like the heat .

The tuner had it for 2 days trying to work out what was wrong with it. The injectors would cut out first, then the airflow meter would lose voltage straight after. After him saying try a new ecu, I then started to do my own diagnosis. I figured it only did it at hi rpm, so either the mas sensor, knock sensor, or stock boost solenoid, or a knock sensor. changed the mas sensor, no improvement. Disconnectt ever stock vacume soldneiod, no improvement. Disconnected knock sensor.....finally! Solved all the problem. Revs clean up to about 8 grand, no misses, hesitation, nothing. Works great, so either the motor has a knock or the sensor was faulty. Either way, I don't care. It runs now. Cheers for the help.

Well this is weird usually the knock sensor stops working at high RPMS. I currently have a knock sensor fault and my car works fine in the higher rpms.

No idea, must have been internally faulty/something wrong with the wiring, could have been anything, disconnected it and I haven't had a problem since, even If it was knocking that bad to make the car turn off, the tuner would have picked up on it, it's got solid engine mounts so that might have contributed with certain frequencies in the knock sensor.