Sign in to follow this  
GHOSTY

Simple road rules – why don’t people follow them?

Simple road rules – why don’t people follow them?

• Stopping behind the stop line, not 1-2-3 meters over it
  • Staying behind the stop line until the light turns green, not creeping forward into oncoming traffic during a red light
  • Pedestrians not crossing at marked crossings, and only when the green walk sign is on

This is very basic simple stuff, designed to keep everyone safe, but I am blown away by the amount of drivers and pedestrians I see not following these rules every day I’m on the road, especially today’s generation-Y who seem genetically predisposed to not knowing how to safely cross a road.

It's retarded, it seriously is /rant

Edited by GHOSTY

Laziness/stupidity/disregard for rules.

In wollongong I see that all the time, plus people who, when tuning into a street, cut half the corner of the other lane thats turning onto their previous street. I can vouch for all the people here being lazy and stupid.

one time in the city there was a guy stopped at the traffic lights across the pedestrian crossing part, everyone looked pretty pissed about having to walk around him, till some legend jumped up and walked across their bonnet :lol:

People don't really give a crap. They know they can get away with it cause the cops are out pulling people over for doing 2kms over the limit or have a pod air filter.

I drive in the Sydney CBD a lot for work and its guaranteed to have at least a couple close calls from pedestrians and other drivers. Sometimes gets to the stage where you're driving in 2 lanes cause there are cars and pedestrians taking up the sides of the lanes.

Try merging in Sydney; it's like the last person in gets swept up in a zombie apocalypse

No fear of getting caught I would say. They are probably the A-B drivers who don't have any interest in driving but find it a necessity.

The truest words from Jeremy Clarkson:

If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is: “I have no interest in cars.” If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving. And if you have no interest in something, it means you are no good at it, which means you must have your driver’s license taken away.
Edited by SX SPEC

one time in the city there was a guy stopped at the traffic lights across the pedestrian crossing part, everyone looked pretty pissed about having to walk around him, till some legend jumped up and walked across their bonnet :lol:

winning!!! hahaha

In wollongong I see that all the time, plus people who, when tuning into a street, cut half the corner of the other lane thats turning onto their previous street. I can vouch for all the people here being lazy and stupid.

I think Wollongong's pretty good. It's a bit sleepy and relaxed but the roads are really open and much better than Suburban Sydney. I can't imagine driving my s15 around the inner west everyday for example... rickety narrow roads and a speed bump/roundabout every 50m and no f**king parking. I'll just catch the bus thanks.

haha see this a fair bit, like they're trying to hit the clipping point of the street they're turning into, then shit bricks when they see someone coming the other way and violently swerve and fumble at the wheel while maintaining their ignorant slack-jawed daze.

It's fun to slow them down around my speed hump infested area.

f**king gold! :lol:

Keep left unless overtaking...

Fark me it shits me off how rarely people follow this very simple rule.

What is worse are the f**kers who drive like a grandma when there is no overtaking lane only to floor it when a lane opens up and people try to get past them.

When you're trying to overtake without speeding too much, and there's somebody right up your arse, then as soon as you pull left after overtaking they just continue to sit in the right lane and speed match the dude you overtook. This gives me the shits.

Topic seems a bit ironic from someone who spent years without his licence :whistle::P

one time in the city there was a guy stopped at the traffic lights across the pedestrian crossing part, everyone looked pretty pissed about having to walk around him, till some legend jumped up and walked across their bonnet laugh.png

That happens a lot in Adelaide but its because traffic just suddenly stops flowing when a bus pulls out or someone decides to turn right into a sidestreet or driveway at the last minute.

I hate people that stop a car length behind the car infront and then creep forward while waiting for the lights to change.

I hate anyone that sits below the speed limit, especially if there is a car in each lane doing 55 right next to each other holding up the column of 100 other cars behind then.

People that cross the center line through the hills. Happens a f**k load around where I live. People are retards and should have their licenses revoked.

People that sit on 60 in the 80 zone through the hills then speed up to 70 when they get into the 60 zone in the suburbs.

people pulling into slip lanes who think they are driving a B double and straddle both lanes.

people who idle off the line at traffic lights and take 27.3kms to reach 60kmh.

people who slow down from 60 to 45 going through a fixed speed camera.

trucks driving along side each other at 50 in a 60 etc

Roundabouts seem to baffle a lot of people; turning right from the left lane etc. The concept is not that difficult.

Lane-jumpers who simply MUST be at the front when approaching a red light, even if it means jumping over 2/3 lanes.

Truck drivers who think they're driving a sports car

People who don't wave when you let them in

People who sit right on the ass of the car in front of them when others are trying to merge. Letting one car in is not going to hurt your ego

People who manage to crash on smooth, straight, wide roads.

I swear 'Canberra' is Aboriginal for 'home of the shitcunt driver'. Here's the rules driving in Canberra that I've picked up in my time here:

All other road users are your enemy, you must get in front and stay in front.

Don't indicate, this signals your next move to your enemy

Don't leave a gap between you and the enemy in front, the enemy to your side may take it without indicating.

Don't merge at the required speed limit. Slow to a crawl, then when the enemy is approaching at speed in the lane you wish to join launch a surpise attack by meandering into their path, causing them to take evasive action. Then accelerate to 20km/h above speed limit.

Drive a silver or grey car, this makes it harder for the enemy to see you during the 8 months of Canberra's winter.

Driving with your lights on in fading light conditions makes it easier for the enemy to see you in their mirrors and cut you off, leave them off until pitch black.

It is unsafe to drive on wet roads, so it is perfectly acceptable to go 20km/h faster to get out of the dangerous conditions sooner.

Don't speed up enough when overtaking in a slip lane to pass the enemy, sit next to them, box them out and force them to brake and submit to your superiority.

Many roundabouts are 1 lane entry, 2 lanes around the roundabout then merge into a single lane. This is fight to the death. Prove your car's worth by out braking, chopping the lane and accelerating into the merge point before your enemy does.

If you do something wrong, don't apologise for it. Stare straight ahead. If you don't apologise then you acknowledge no wrong doing.

Running into the car in front of you is an acceptable way to stop your own car. You have airbags for a reason.

The posted speed limits are there to let you know that you're going 15km/h too slow if travelling at those speeds.

I'm going to say speed limits.

Speed limits are a huge thing. Either people go over them, or people are stopped (from my experiences). Australian's don't always seem to understand the concept of "road conditions" too. If it's pissing down with rain and there's a minimal amount of visibility - they'll still do the posted speed limit of 80km/h. The only time I EVER see people going below the speed limit is when they've been warned of a speed camera ahead. Then they'll sit 20km/h below the speed limit, because you know... going 2 - 5km/h below is a bit risky and all.

I've been abused for following the posted speed limit of 40km/h's in a 60km/h zone during roadworks.

I've had people swerve while tailgating me, nearly causing car accidents, because I sit at 40 - 45km/h in a school zone.

Also, it's not so much a rule, but I think a reason why Australian roads can be so hectic are because people don't admit their own faults.

The amount of times I've had horrible law breaking drivers try telling me that they're perfect because they've been driving for X amount of years, and that "it's those damn P-plate males who ruin it for all of us!" amazes me.

If people don't admit to how they're wrong, things won't ever improve. I've seen more bad drivers behind the wheel of some large 4x4, as they take their children to school, then I have reckless male P-platers.

trucks driving along side each other at 50 in a 60 etc

Yes! I hate it when a truck tries to overtake another truck and it turns into a situation where you're stuck behind one slow truck in the left lane and a slightly less slow truck in the right lane unsuccessfully trying to overtake it...

...but I think truck drivers deserve a whole separate thread

or those idiots who don't indicate at round abouts, even if it's a small round about still use your f**king idicators!!

The merging thing is a whole thread to itself.

Nobody seems to know how to let a car in, and nobody seems to know how to actually merge.

Ideally, those merging should have right of way. Unfortunately, too many people just come to a dead stop, flick the blinker on, wait til there's a safe gap before entering the freeway, then gradually get up to the speed limit... or thereabouts.

I never have trouble merging really... if someone is rude enough to not let me in, I get aggressive and I swerve my car as a warning, and usually that's enough to freak them out and they back off.

Speed limits are a huge thing. Either people go over them, or people are stopped (from my experiences). Australian's don't always seem to understand the concept of "road conditions" too. If it's pissing down with rain and there's a minimal amount of visibility - they'll still do the posted speed limit of 80km/h. The only time I EVER see people going below the speed limit is when they've been warned of a speed camera ahead. Then they'll sit 20km/h below the speed limit, because you know... going 2 - 5km/h below is a bit risky and all.

I've been abused for following the posted speed limit of 40km/h's in a 60km/h zone during roadworks.

I've had people swerve while tailgating me, nearly causing car accidents, because I sit at 40 - 45km/h in a school zone.

Also, it's not so much a rule, but I think a reason why Australian roads can be so hectic are because people don't admit their own faults.

The amount of times I've had horrible law breaking drivers try telling me that they're perfect because they've been driving for X amount of years, and that "it's those damn P-plate males who ruin it for all of us!" amazes me.

If people don't admit to how they're wrong, things won't ever improve. I've seen more bad drivers behind the wheel of some large 4x4, as they take their children to school, then I have reckless male P-platers.

I'm suspicious of your grammar and choice of words. Are you Azn? :P

The speed limits are just frustrating for everybody really. As a p-plater I thought they were all too slow but now I realize some are too fast for some areas and some are too slow and you're right, people don't seem to think... they just see the number and they sit on that speed and turn the steering wheel like it's a video game.

Edited by Spazo

No fear of getting caught I would say. They are probably the A-B drivers who don't have any interest in driving but find it a necessity.

The truest words from Jeremy Clarkson:

If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is: “I have no interest in cars.” If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving. And if you have no interest in something, it means you are no good at it, which means you must have your driver’s license taken away.

a big +1. almost to the point of saying, make the road system smaller, make the public transport system better and get these ignorant f**king *milkshakes* out of cars and off roads.

Young chicks that think cutting, weaving, changing lanes every two seconds whilst on the phone 10km above the speed limit....

Speed limits are a huge thing. Either people go over them, or people are stopped (from my experiences). Australian's don't always seem to understand the concept of "road conditions" too. If it's pissing down with rain and there's a minimal amount of visibility - they'll still do the posted speed limit of 80km/h.

Quite the opposite in vic.

The slight chance of rain on any limit they suddenly do 20 under everything.

The worst is on a nice day and people just cruise way under the speed limit.

Not keeping left is another thing that pisses me off!! The only time I'll be in the right lane is if I'm turning right, or over taking someones nanny.

Recently I've been looking after highpoint carpark in the mornings and the amount of people I've told off for speeding is ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!! People with prams, elderly etc are walking to the shops and idiots think it's a little drag strip where they can floor it. When I start yelling at them, they apologize as if they forgot it's not a drag strip.

I dont really have a problem with any of this except people that drive too close from behind.

when that happens i drive slower and enjoy the scenery

...but I think truck drivers deserve a whole separate thread

Go ahead sport.

Most truck drivers aren't too bad. Give them plenty of room, and there's no issue.