Sign in to follow this  
n1k00

TPS not getting any voltage

Hey guys ive recently noticed my tps is kicking up a fault code and does not pickup any voltage i have an ecu talk fitted to the car and it reads 0.00v no matter what i do any ideas ive never had a tps go bad on me in the last 7 years so im abit hesitant as to weather its the unit itself or and issue with the loom or ecu

any prior experiences or info would be greatly appreciated this is doing my head in!

I havent come across one thats been bad. But its worth just metering out the tps and the loom to see if there is any breaks in the wires or the connectors. Or if the tps itself its rooted.

After further testing using the resources i have at work (im a real estate agent LOL) ive come to the conclusion that its either my ecu or loom when the tps is disconnected it still reads 0.00v and still gives fault so in theory the issue has nothing to do with the tps itself

My next question before i start playing follow the leader with my wiring loom....

if there has been a short somewhere down the track could this have destroyed my ecu or is there a fuseable link some where down the track?

If my ecu is gone or at least the TPS part of it could i re-wire the 5v powering my AFM to the tps?

OK i have some mega issues i cut the tps off and joined signal wire with 5v still no signal on my ecu talk or multi meter

Test the loom using a multi meter.. Find the Ecu pin out for the 5v supply and signal write and test continuity

Did you est the ecu pin out for power to the tps? check power at the plug while the tps is disconnected?

-dan

This has been the weirdest problem by far....

Problem sorted....after doing my head in as to why it was reading 0.00v contsantly i decided to swap over to my original unchiped ecu and what do you know 5.10v when disconnected instanly however before i did this i replaced the tps from my mates s15 which ive been doing some work on now i first tested the ecu with the new tps disconnected and it gave me 5.10v then switched off the car plugged in the tps and instantly had signal so good news on that part but theres a catch the s15 is now reading 0.00v from the tps and doing the exact same thing now its obvious its the tps here but im just curious as to weather the ecu is set into some sort of mode where the tps is not active reason i ask is i disconnected the battery for a while thinking it would reset the ecu while the tps was disconnected so it was under the same circumstances as above why did the ecu need to be removed and replaced to get the tps signal back

Ecu will pick up excessively high more than 5.1v and excessively low les than 0.3v and say your tps is defective.. This limits the car to 4k i think in terms of RPM..

check for voltage and ground.. as well as chasis ground.. then hook up a known working TPS..check for voltage on the center pin.. disconnect tps signal wire and test again.. if you get voltage at this pint then the TPS signal wire is short cct..

Came across a spare motor so i Changed the whole intake manifold including the plug for tps problem solved