Sign in to follow this  
-LCD-

welding bench ideas

so its about time i made myself a proper bench to weld on, something that i cant accidently set on fire (true story...).

i have some sketch's i can throw up this arvo when im home. but im interested in some ideas, features if you will, for the bench.

so far the basic dimensions will be;

900mm floor to bench top

700x1200 bench top, 4mm thick plate.

600x1000 frame size (100mm over hang on three sides as it will be up against a wall)

shelf just above groun level for welders, gas bottle etc to sit on (this will be the full inner dimension of the frame)

'gun holster' to fit either the mig or tig torches

various hang/clamp points for clamps, vice grips, mask, etc

splashback against rear to protect the wall (renting)

future plans to have two draws under the top for accessories, cut off discs, welding tips, wire, rulers, verniers etc.

the frame work was going to be 65x65x5 angle, easy to use, not too expensive and stiff enough not to need too many added supports...open to suggestions. theres also some 90x90x5 rhs offcuts at the local steel place i can get cheap to use for the legs, wont need to change the design much for these either.

i have seen a lot of benches on castors, although i can see the occasional use, is it really worth the hassel? i know the table will be heavy, especially with all the gear in/on it. but i cant see myself needing to move it around (least not while im living at my current house).

the arm on the side of this bench i will be copying, one on each corner actually with various attachments to suit different jobs.

welding-table-16227-2390309.jpg

http://www.millerwel.../welding-table/

the table they made here is similar to what im thinking and has some good ideas for some basic fab requirements (two posts for simple bending)

post up what work benches you have/have seen or any ideas that i may have missed.

-dan

Edited by -LCD-

thanks for the help and ideas guys, was really useful :P

for anyone who's interested this is what i ended up with;

855mm height from ground (inc top)

600x1000mm width x depth (100mm overhang on 3 sides)

1200x700mm @ 5mm thick plate top

40x40x3 rhs for the framework (was cheap and was able to find enough in just offcuts!)

thats all i have so far due to time/money, so when the garage is free next i'll throw everything together (all pieces cut/prepped so far), later on i will add the draws, shelf, universal arms etc.

will post pics when its all done, and a rough pricing for anyone looking to make their own. still wouldnt mind seeing other peoples benches though.

-dan

so heres some pics of the bench i ended up making, again for those interested. havnt gotten around to making the splash back or telescopic arms etc that i had planned. but my main priority was just to get it together and usable until i get more time.

552417_373539596066016_1946134576_n.jpg

222419_373539636066012_375350327_n.jpg

416971_373539682732674_995051685_n.jpg

156461_373539666066009_541868525_n.jpg

-dan

I like your work. What was the cost of the 5mm plate for the top? I have an existing bench which needs a new top. Also what are you using to cut the rhs? Thanks, Tom

Edited by s14tom

The bench top wasnt cheap, and i probably got ripped off...cost $140 cut to size.

Used a drop saw to cut all the framework up.

-dan

Shit, that is a bit more than i was thinking. My current bench is 3.5m long. Maybe I'll just Cover half with plate and thick ply for the other half.

Im keen to see how you set up the rest of the bench with torch holding points and clamping/holding devices to support your work piece. My bench is lacking these add ons and they would come in handy when making bigger parts ie. cooler pipes or exhausts.

lol il b making one for my mate as well 3.2 long

Yeh plate is expensive. Mine was about 1.2 x 0.8 6mm and ended up getting it for ~$90 cut to size. Was the most expensive part of my bench.

I mounted mine on lockable castors so I can move it around too.

Is that the best place you can find for the yellow container?

Are you suggesting that the 'storage' under the bench looks terribley permanent? I litterally put the bench back against the wall and 'neatly' piled all the junk it displaced under it. I have some temperary shelving under neath now with both my welders and gear under the bench. Would you like an updated pic?

-dan

looks like something you usually store petrol in i think thats what he is getting at lol

lol woof indeed....

can might be empty, but if it contained fuel at one stage can quite possibly still have fumes of sorts...

not the coolest thing to even have in a garage your welding in, sparks can fly an awfully long way.

Really guys? Do you think Dan would be that stupid? C'mon...

Can you just put a 6mm plate on a waist high shelving unit? As long as you put the earth clamp on the plate nothing else matters right? Or am I dumb-la

Really guys? Do you think Dan would be that stupid? C'mon...

Thankyou, i quickly 'cleaned up' and just through things under the bench. If you look closely the shelves to the left are full of oul and degreaser, the black drums are full of used oil/fluids.. f**k im loose!

-dan

Hey man you were they one that threw up the pick lol...should send the pick to mythbusters lol.

No saying you are, but you'll be surprised how many ppl aren't all that switched on...