Sign in to follow this  
buoy

HI-802 QUAD CORE i.MX6, UG802, MK808, UHOST - $50-$80. Android 4.0 / 4.1 - 1080p hdmi PCs on a stick!

you can even get a custom rom now for the ug802 :) so it looks like it's going to be a killer bit of kit on xda-developers very soon!

I must say that although the speed of the ug802 is brilliant when compared with the a10 cpus like the uhost and mk802-ii, the uhost is by far and away the best software installed device. The default launcher is fantastic, but it's the little things that really stand out - like the fact that on my touchpad, if you run your finger down the right-hand edge (like on other notebooks) it scrolls down the page... and the volume up/down buttons on the keyboards actually *do* something! On the others, ug802 included, running my finger down the right-hand edge just made the mouse move down more... and the volume controls had no effect. Whoever fiddled with the default rom of the uhost took more time to get those little things working right and it's a much better experience.

i looked at the rom's, but none of them seemed really different. mind you, didn't find any on xda, have to look in to that.

maybe someone will port the uhost stuff to the ug802

you can even get a custom rom now for the ug802 smile.png so it looks like it's going to be a killer bit of kit on xda-developers very soon!

I must say that although the speed of the ug802 is brilliant when compared with the a10 cpus like the uhost and mk802-ii, the uhost is by far and away the best software installed device. The default launcher is fantastic, but it's the little things that really stand out - like the fact that on my touchpad, if you run your finger down the right-hand edge (like on other notebooks) it scrolls down the page... and the volume up/down buttons on the keyboards actually *do* something! On the others, ug802 included, running my finger down the right-hand edge just made the mouse move down more... and the volume controls had no effect. Whoever fiddled with the default rom of the uhost took more time to get those little things working right and it's a much better experience.

mouse wheel scroll on the uhost works as well :)

hey thats awesome i just tried it -- I plugged a wireless mouse in and tried it - works brilliantly :)

using ES file explorer to navigate the gigabytes upon gigabytes of movies and entertainment media on the fileserver is just awesome with a wireless mouse on my knee and the scroll wheel works - fkn awesome couch experience. Click to go into a folder, right-click to leave, mouse wheel to scroll the pages. too easy. With the others you got to do a lot of pointing and moving as you "grab" the list and flick it like a finger gesture to scroll... gets annoying after even just a few times. Scroll wheel ftw.

The uhost is my default choice if I'm just going to watch movies on a big screen. for sure. or at least until some of those tweaks make its way to the ug802.

So what's the latest goss on these? I don't get why they've got 4g, can't they only connect to wifi? Also I want one of these they seem really cool, but what would I use it for? I can just plug my laptop into a tv.. I know they're way smaller, but you still need to find a screen.

I'm not dissing I really want one just need to think of some justifications for getting one. Which one is the one to get now? Can you run Linux on them?

I'm using it as a HDTV replacement for home theatre.

Use it for bringing the internet and the files on your home network, to your TV :)

Can I wirelessly make it display what's on my laptop screen?

Regarding bringing up my files on my home network, can I have it set up so I can view files on my laptop through the ug802?

Sounds pretty sweet. Plus you guys haven't mentioned snes emulation, booyah!

Just need to find a wireless snes controller

Edited by cooo

I guess you could if you install a viewer like remote desktop on your ug802. I guess I should try it myself as I use RemoteDesktop on all my other android devices. Amazingly I never thought of using it on that device lol. Also partly because I'm not using my own account on the usb stick, it's a new account I created for my son and he's got lots of games like angry birds installed.

Yes I guess SNES emul would be good. Lots of other uses for these devices I'm sure we just scratched the surface. Another friend of mine is using it as his in-car entertainment hub... he just plugs it into his head unit with a hdmi converter O_o and I also suggested to him he could put a 3G USB dongle on the device and make it a wireless hotspot for his other devices so his car is a huge wifi hotspot :lol: and he could also get it to do the rear camera stuff etc. Good potential for lots of custom installs.

I use 2X Client for RDP on my phone, so it should be fine on one of these as well :) There's a bunch of them, so finding one shouldn't be hard.

Anyone tried XBMC ? I'm currently awaiting my MK808 to arrive

Edited by elitee

I've used XBMC on the ug802. Lags a bit at first while it build everything, but after that works well. Need a keyboard to navigate easier tho

I've been trying to think of a decent keyboard/mouse setup for these that doesn't involve a trackpad. Spotted this little gem when I was visitng my mechanic: http://www.shintaro.com.au/products/06_keyboards_mice/keyboards/SH-KEYRF/index.php

this would probably be useful for you buoy, as you'd only be carrying a medium sized keyboard, instead of a mouse + keyboard and a trackball is miles faster and more accurate than the shitty 2x2 inch trackpads that are "for htpc" setups. It runs off a usb dongle though, which might be a dealbreaker, unless you're running a hub (which most people are anyway I'm guessing). Shintaro do a trackpad version in bluetooth, but it's probably more expensive than the majority of similar stuff that you can find on ebay.

Assuming I get one of these (not allowed to buy anything until after christmas, less I piss off the mrs with buying up all the "potential" gifts :lol: ), I'll be running 1 powered USB hub (2 ports of the hub power the UHost), one usb external HDD, the dongle for one of these, a microSD card, plugged into a TV. All in all using one power socket (external hdd is low speed, powered off USB). Am yet to measure the power consumption on this, but I'm going to do a comparison between this and my old Linux behemoth file server :lol:

Assuming I get some time (lol), I'm really interested in seeing if I can throw together a bunch of these in some kind of VM environment. I don't think they'll produce wonderful speeds for things like running apps or whatnot, because they'd either be connecting to eachother through USB or WiFi, but for the bigger number crunching setups like Folding@Home, video encoding, etc. this would offer some SERIOUS ultra-ultra low cost (in both initial outlay and power usage) with proportionally massive computing power.

edit:

these are around the $40 mark btw: http://www.shopbot.com.au/m/?m=shintaro+wireless+keyboard

Edited by pyro

I bought something similar for my media center. I got it from here IOGEAR Keyboard, Mouse and Scroll Wheel and the scroll wheel also clicks which comes in handy when opening multiple tabs. I use it on a linux system and also works on OpenELEC (XBMC).

Edited by Opasen

BRAND NEW HEAVIES AS AT DECEMBER 2012:

The Hiapad Hi-802 with i.MX6 Q-U-A-D C-O-R-E processor just about 10% slower than a Nexus 7 running Tegra 3........ is now available for cheap as a Mini-PC Stick in various forms:

http://liliputing.co...d-core-cpu.html

Here are some benchies

http://liliputing.co...a10-tablet.html

I was disappointed with the new YouTube app released December 11th - I could not get the videos to display full-screen...........

solution :

- Uninstall updates of YouTube, reverting it back to the "native" app (do this in settings / apps).

- Grab a previous apk from some place like android drawer ( http://www.androiddrawer.com/7215/download-youtube-4-1-47-app-apk/ )

so what's the latest on these, seen a couple of the quad core 802's ones floating around the interwebs and thinking of getting one to sort out my media centre duties. or should I hold out seeing that there's always something better coming out every couple months?

Edited by HumanHefner

there's always something better.

but I do not regret my ug 802. already got my money's worth out of it.

I'm still hanging out for something that supports USB 3 and only came across this today. Has anyone seen anything other than the A15 which has USB 3 support? So far, that's the only one I can find :( The only version that would be able to do something similar to the other Android Mini-pc's is the Arndale Dev unit (2nd on the list).

So I'm ready for an upgrade from the uHost as its found a new home with my old man. He's putting it through its paces with YouTube and possibly some cheeky Brazzers lol.

Anyways, hugely impressed by the uHost and its user interface. Though it may have been a little slower then a few of the higher end gear, I found that it had plenty more hours invested in programming. My question here is, should I go the updated uHost2? Or are there better ones out there? Also, to those who have used a few different ones, in your opinion, which was the best?

The best one to get at the moment is the Tronsmart T428 quad core CPU, quad core GPU... almost as quick as the Galaxy S III. It's fairly new so there aren't any proper youtube vids of this besides just showing the exterior of the device.

Another good one is the MK908. I have a vid of that one here - it's also a quad core cpu, quad core gpu:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm4UCvCuDCI

What I notice is that the quad core sticks have the feel of a desktop (almost) as the youtube reviewer mentions.... except of course it is in a tablet/android UI. But for speed it is nearly on par with a mid-range desktop. In other words it's snappy.

Everything pretty much runs Jelly Bean 4.1 also. What I've just done recently is use DLNA. I have an older plasma that doesn't have any DLNA capability - but after plugging in one of these units the TV basically becomes DLNA compliant so I can stream movies from my home server to the TV... using my mobile phone.

Just in time Buoy! Just started reading about these again before I buy my next one.

That video is pretty impressive. The speed is great. Now just USB3 and it'll have everything i want :D I saw a SOC setup that supported USB3 a little while ago, so it can't be long until it hits the market now :)

Got my Tronsmart T428 today. Put my uHost to shame to say the very least.

looking at one of these for both myself and to send to my dad for a fathers day gift.... what's the current models worth looking at?

Any problems to look out for?

Any must have apps that make it even better?

What did you end up getting Firey?

I didn't,

I ended up flying over to see dad and take the family on a night out on the town.

I'd prefer some links to what's current (reviews all saying current where at least 6months or more old)

Still, if anyone has links to what's around or coming soon I'd still like to look into it. Unless the people who got them no longer use them?

I still use my original UHost that I bought last year sometime. It's a bit of a slug with a bunch of apps on it though. I just bought a CX-919 which should be here by the end of the week :) It's only 720p which kinda sucks, but that doesn't really matter for my application. Quick youtube review here:

I'm wondering if I should get a WD box instead.

All i really want it for is to play movies from my external HDD's or stream from my pc.

Or wait till I get a PS4, only the sticks would be handy for travel taking place of a laptop for some shorter trips where it would be nice to watch a movie or two.