Sign in to follow this  
NEWtoNISSAN

How do I maintain an s15 if it isn't driven very often?

Hey everyone, hoping to purchase this Spec R GT s15 soon, only problem, I’m still on my P Plates for 10 months so can’t legally drive it yet. So, when I have the car sitting in my garage for that sort of duration what can I do to look after it?

How do I prevent myself from causing damage to the car if it isn’t being driven very often?

My main concern is the mechanicals of the car and the fluids in the engine/transmission/diff/turbo/fuel etc. Will these go off over time? Paint care, do i need to worry about it if it’s not getting a wash very often? Can tyres go bad? Electrical/battery damage.. Can my ecu be effected if the battery dies (car has an electronic boost controller too)? Also being a GT it has all the options including leather seats, how do I care for leather that is sitting for a long time?

I probably will take it for a drive around the block once a week/fortnight even though I’m not meant to, or have my parents drive it round a bit to get the engine moving but what else can be done to keep the car in mint condition till I can legally enjoy it on the road :)

Also a bit off topic here, insurance? If any of you out there don't drive your car very often, what do you do with your insurance to keep it to a minimum seeing as the car is low risk because it doesnt see the road much? Should i insure it at all and cancel rego so save some bucks?

Thanks everyone, all the tips you can offer will be helpful.

Cheers.

Unless your buying it to build a high power motor while your on your P's and can't drive it, I would just wait till your able to legally drive it,

the prices can only go down in 10 months and then you won't be wasting money insuring a car and maintaining a car that just going to sit there

Your not gonna get cheap insurance while your in your P's full stop

And most insurance companies could care less how often you drive it, except for that shit pay as you go "real insurance" or what ever it's called

Edited by Stig Mick

As above stated better of just buyin the car when your ready to drive it that way you will save yourself money as the price drops

Just because the car isnt driven often insurance companies dont see it as low risk, they all see these cars as high risk. However you can get a policy for low kms driven that will be slightly cheaper but I dont think any company will insure the car in your name as you are not licenced to drive it.

Even with limited use policies you've got to be careful. Mate of mine had a monaro on limited use through Shannon's, it got hail damaged and they were fine to fix it but his premium was going to go up by 2k if he made a claim.

Shannon's wouldn't insure a P player for an S15 that's for sure

I'm a 26yr old p-player :P

Mine sits for weeks at a time. Not much to worry about as long as its garaged and not sitting outside getting crapped on or barbequed by the sun.

Keep the fuel fresh, change the oil regularly (not super important but wont hurt), keep the tyre pressures up (important) and disconnect the battery if it will sit for more than a month

I also have a limited use Shannons policy and had to make a claim a year ago, the premium has not changed. Didn't even lose my no claim bonus

Edited by junkie

If you aren't driving it a lot then change your oils every 6-12 months or 5000-10000km.

no need to go overboard with it, the only concern would be stale fuel if it sits for over a month without a run.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys. Only reason I’m keen on getting it now is because I see it as the perfect example of an s15 that I would be happy with. it isn’t a cheap one either, $20,000+ has most of the mods I already want (mostly supporting mods) and the thing is mint, looks like it was picked up from the factory last month, low k's, last year manufactured, GT model, all the options.

it will be insured under my dad’s name seeing as I can’t legally own one, was just curious as to the best method for insuring a car that will rarely see the road for the next 10 months, or if I should even bother with insurance/rego/RWC? It will be locked up in the garage.

During the 10 month wait I plan on full suspension work, exhaust and intake manifolds, body work (spoiler removal, boot lock delete) wheels, possibly new turbo. If it’s insured and rego-ed it will get tuning. If I don’t get insurance/rego then I’ll probably wait to mod it further till I can take it on the road legally.

My mate had made another claim a couple of years earlier through another insurance company maybe that had something to do with them wanting to put his premium up - either that or they were curious why a limited use car got caught up in a hail storm.

I've had limited use on my s15 for the past 7 years through Shannons and have never made a claim - id like to think I'd have no issues if I had to make a claim. Then again I've got the s15, a Hilux, my Gemini and my wife's 86 (if Toyota ever deliver the bloody thing!) all insured through them so I've got a bit of business with them.

Back to OP's question - I wouldnt bother insuring it unless it could potentially get stolen from your house. Wait till you can get everything in your own name so you can build up an insurance history - I'd personally wait till you can legally own an s15 but you seem pretty set on getting this one. Maybe your dad could drive it for you once or twice a month if you're worried about it sitting for so long?

Edited by NIS-15

At the end of the day if you are deleting the spoiler you could get a spec R way cheaper and just buy the leather steering wheel and seats would save you alot of money

Edited by Stig Mick

best to get 3rd party fire and theft for the first year while you dont drive it, just car is around 400 or less or bit more for 180sx so would be more due to higher value of car but still cheaper than full comp

also i did the same thing but got tempted to drive it and I ended up racing v8s all the time, then cops started to know my car and I had mad street rep, thing was I had never pulled the e brake and I was feeling cocky so I pulled it on the ring road to calder freeway entrance and I wasnt ready for the turbo power so I got really scared and started to cry and females had to drive the car home :(

This guy^^ hilarious haha, thumbs up mate :P

it has, 80k on the clock, full books with Nissan, trust power extreme II turbo back exhaust, ARC turn flow intercooler, air diversion plate, strut brace, whiteline sway bars, high security paging alarm system, bosch 40 fuel pump, ecu nistune upgrade, greddy boost controller, full tune, sticky dunlop tyres, koyo alloy rad, defi gauges. I honestly think it’s worth what he is asking for.

I’m not too sure what the sum value of these mods are? Any of you guys want to have a guess or know how much he has put into it. Purchased the car stock and has stock parts.

I am pretty keen on getting, I think I will go the fire and theft cover for insurance because you never know even though I don’t live in a bad area and the garage is locked.

^In all seriousness but s15s have gone down a bit and you should easily be able to get a good one for under 20k just dont be too keen for it cause in the end you'll get what your meant to get, I don't see it selling anytime soon for that price to so make an offer and save money for ladies having to drive car home :)

ARC cooler is rubbish, ill relieve u of it in exchange for $100

Regardless of mods, I would not pay $20k for an S15 you can get them as low as $13k now

The seller would be running his together with excitement as you would have been the only person to call him so far,

It's an S15 unless it's gotta a documented and verified 0kms showing on the odometer , then there's nothing special about it that makes it worth buying to sit around for a year

10 months isn't really that long haha

Disconnect the battery and do an oil change before you drive it and off your p's

Tyres will be fine, just pump them up when you get it on the road

Maybe start it and run it for 10 minutes or so every few weeks

so the consensus is that this s15 is not worth 20k even with the low ks, mods, and fully optioned last year manufactured GT, and that i should be offering the seller something along the lines of 18k??

I would go even less

Have you looked at what S15's go for in carsales?

Last year of manufacture doesn't mean shit with s15's as its only a couple of interior mods

Fully optioned is nothing just leather seats a couple of chrome dipped plastics, metal pedals (that you can buy new from Nissan for $250) and a rear wing that you said you want to remove anyway

You can get fully modded S15's doing over 230-250rwkws for under $20k so this lightly modded one isn't anything to write home about

Most ADM s15's should come with log books it's only the JDM ones that never or very rarely have them

Edited by Stig Mick

hmm, i'l think about it. i have had a look on carsales, all the cheaper ones 14-18k either have body kits, a lot of mods (which i don't want, in my opinion brings the value of a car down if they are crap brands), dont have the original parts to it, have ks above 100k, and in OK condition.

i want to buy a car with low to mid 80k on it, max low 90ks. i plan on having the car a LONG time, last thing i need is for the engine to get tired with high ks making it harder to have a reliable car for the street/track/meets.

also going back a few posts ago, whats wrong with the ARC front mount? i thought ARC made one of the better quality goods out in the aftermarket world??

If the car has been taken care of and regular maintenance done anything below 150000kms is fine

Just cause it says 80000kms doesn't mean the engine is honing to last longer

I bought a stock s15 spec S with 120000km from a dealer for $16000 1 years ago and I have spent under $1000 getting the side skirts, leather seats leather steering wheel, metal pedals and OEM option Nismo exhaust and pillar gauge mount,

If I had bought it now and privately total cost would be less than $14000 including the parts

Seriously wait a year ad you'll save atleast $3000-$5000

You do have a point there saying that I can buy a cheaper car and make it look like a spec r GT, but isn't there any value added to the cars overall worth being that it is a spec r from the factory and not a spec s? Surely a car that was the top of the line model has some value to it over a lesser specked up version?? Or isn’t that the case with the Silvia, I have no idea this is the first jap car/sport car that I’m looking to purchase?

Also, any idea as to the sum value of the mods?

As I said before the factory options are not worth much,

If your planning on keeping the car for a long time then your not going to care about resale value

The only thing that a spec R Has over a spec S is a sunroof that's it

If we were talking about a different car where the top of the line means a better engine better turbo and a factory GPS then yes the top spec would be worth buying, but with S15's they are all pretty much the same bar a few plastic add ons

Edited by Stig Mick