Sign in to follow this  
Biggie

Prices of E85 around the country - on the up?

Hey folks

just looking for to see what everyone is laying out for E85.

I filled up 100 litres + worth yesterday and ended up paying $1.24 a litre....... from united servos in Sydney here

For reference 98 octane is 1.61 a litre

When i started using 85 it was commonly less than a dollar a litre when 98 was still up around the $1.55

Anyone noticed a big jump in price recently? (not that it matters as its only a few bucks) but im curious to see if all the new E flex and commodores are pushing demand up.

Alternately do you even have pump E85 in you town/ readily available. (i wish we had more outlets id run my daily driver on the stuff if i could) as i want to see how they are going rolling it out.

Pump is getting close to the price of drum fuel

discuss.

:P

The e85 price is Tied to the 91/98 octane pricing, bullshit but that's how they do it...

The e85 price is Tied to the 91/98 octane pricing, bullshit but that's how they do it...

hmm i was more saying its moved up faster than the price of petrol - similar to LPG

I was looking into the price of e85 before petrol prices crashed below a dollar around 2008-09. Back then the price of e85 was around $1.23 a litre.

Given the price of ethanol comes down when you buy in bulk, it seems odd that higher demand would drive up the price.

It probably has more to do with petrol stations taking advantage of the rising cost of ULP.

Edited by Chappy

I wouldn't be surprised if oil companies are floating e85 above it's actual value to get as much money as possible from the get go, like they're trying to make it an expensive commodity before there's a massive switch to it.

I wouldn't be surprised if oil companies are floating e85 above it's actual value to get as much money as possible from the get go, like they're trying to make it an expensive commodity before there's a massive switch to it.

This is my belief summed up perfectly, aswell as having our balls in a vice because there's no other hassle free option other than to pay the asking price.

Edited by brent47

Its the farking carbon tax !!!!!!!!!!!

Oil was $75 USA on the 02/06/12 and has risen to $89 a barrel atm, well under the $110 a barrel it was a few years back which caused fuel prices to spike to dramatically... and never come back down.

Currently fuel is way over priced and fuel companies are ripping us off, so is the government who taxes fuel OMFG I hate Aus for this reason !

I can only assume E85 is rising in price because

- The mention duel fuel cars

- Carbon tax

- Another labour tax...

- And hardly any regulation on fuel pricing...

Edited by yellow_S15

I can guarantee you it has nothing to do with the carbon tax.

Instead it is vastly more likely to do with the collusion of the petrol stations at setting minimum prices.

I saw prices rise 17cents across melbourne within minutes. If they don't collude over prices, they must have the ability to read minds.

Edited by Peter89

I can guarantee you it has nothing to do with the carbon tax.

Instead it is vastly more likely to do with the collusion of the petrol stations at setting minimum prices.

I saw prices rise 17cents across melbourne within minutes. If they don't collude over prices, they must have the ability to read minds.

Nah it's okay there was a Fuel Commissioner "watch-dog" that got paid 100k/year to do... diddly squat.

Its the farking carbon tax !!!!!!!!!!!

Oil was $75 USA on the 02/06/12 and has risen to $89 a barrel atm, well under the $110 a barrel it was a few years back which caused fuel prices to spike to dramatically... and never come back down.

Currently fuel is way over priced and fuel companies are ripping us off, so is the government who taxes fuel OMFG I hate Aus for this reason !

I can only assume E85 is rising in price because

- The mention duel fuel cars

- Carbon tax

- Another labour tax...

- And hardly any regulation on fuel pricing...

Crude oil right of this very second is sitting at $96.11. Mostly due to the gulf of Mexico being shut down right now due to Hurricane Issac. I would expect the price of oil and petrol to come down once the hurricane passed and New Orleans gets back up and running.

Keep in mind the price of crude oil has gone up almost $20 a barrel since the end of June.

As far as E85 goes if the price is up it can only mean one of two things - 1. More taxation - I don't have an answer for this. 2. Increased demand without increased supply. So there could be more people buying it now with the commodores. There is a bit of a Dry Spell here in Qld which might have effected Northern Qld where much of the countries Cain is grown. Also in the US they are having a major drought that has crippled the corn industry and consequently the Ethanol in the states that might be somehow transfering over here. But I couldn't say for sure.

Edited by Shakey Bones

Why wouldn't it be the carbon tax ? Yeah the tax wont be directed directly at fuel its self but transport companies are being taxed so if its costing them an extra 500K a year lets say to haul their loads around Australia, I highly doubt there going to foot the bill can any one tell me who will ?

Edited by yellow_S15

prices were higher before the carbon tax and crude oil movement hasn't been that large.

other factors IMO.